Grilling / Broiling Steaks? What's your seasoning?

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

if it's a good piece of meat, it only needs salt and pepper... if it's cheap stuff, the montreal stuff isn't a bad idea.

i disagree. a good blend of spices on the outisde can turn a GREAT steak into a world class steak.

Hey, for you guys that use butter, do you put it on the pan or smear it on the steaks? I'm about to make some steaks right now.

put it on the pan, use a bit extra butter. Use a spoon to baste the butter on top of the steak constantly while it's cooking.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

if it's a good piece of meat, it only needs salt and pepper... if it's cheap stuff, the montreal stuff isn't a bad idea.

i disagree. a good blend of spices on the outisde can turn a GREAT steak into a world class steak.
You gonna go into your local (nice, not some chain) steak house and tell them their steak would be better with a blend of spices?
laugh.gif

trust.. there's a reason the best steaks in the world dont get a "good blend of spices". They don't need them - they just need to be cookedcorrectly.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

You gonna go into your local (nice, not some chain) steak house and tell them their steak would be better with a blend of spices?
laugh.gif

trust.. there's a reason the best steaks in the world dont get a "good blend of spices". They don't need them - they just need to be cooked correctly.
Im gon still smear that bad boy with A1 anyways.

And so use butter instead of oil? i stopped pan searing for a while cuz i could never get it right, and i could taste the oil on the meat. I'll stillstick with grilling/broiling.

cook on foil it will be tender like meatloaf, i mixsome worchestisire,lemon juice, and soy sauce. sounds crazy but it is really good

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

put it on the pan, use a bit extra butter. Use a spoon to baste the butter on top of the steak constantly while it's cooking.
Don't forget the rosemary sprig and garlic on top, Gordon Ramsay.

had a steak dinner tonight...filet mignon drizzled with a sweet balsamic reduction

i keeps it classy
pimp.gif

Just cooked one then.

Porterhouse. Warmed up the pan for about 1 minute, smeared some garlic butter around the pan, dropped it in, left it for about 3-4 mins on a low-mediumsetting. Pinch of sea salt and drizzle of EVOO. Turned them over for another 3-4mins, pinch of sale and a bit more EVOO. Then dropped heat down to low/off tolet it cool for about 1min.

Made a spinach, tomato, onion salad-esque salad as well with balsamic vinegrette.

Good looks.

Originally Posted by I3

Just cooked one then.

Porterhouse. Warmed up the pan for about 1 minute, smeared some garlic butter around the pan, dropped it in, left it for about 3-4 mins on a low-medium setting. Pinch of sea salt and drizzle of EVOO. Turned them over for another 3-4mins, pinch of sale and a bit more EVOO. Then dropped heat down to low/off to let it cool for about 1min.

Made a spinach, tomato, onion salad-esque salad as well with balsamic vinegrette.

Good looks.
Nice. For a little variation on your method, try rubbing the steak with extra virgin and sea/kosher salt + pepper beforehand (both sides), thencarry on with your usual method. Then, when you take the steak off the heat to let it rest, drop a pat of herb butter on top so that it melts while it rests.Mmmm.

Originally Posted by NoSlickRemarks

As long as i have some of this I I'm good to go
sweetbabyrays.jpg

why would you put bbq sauce on steak? i mean, it'd taste okay, but if it was any decent piece of steak that's totally ruining the process... all thesesauces and spices you guys talk about are for the birds, you put them on crappy products to enhance them... not on stuff that already tastes good.

For anyone that doesn't have a grill, grab a cast-iron pan. Let your steak rest for at least 20-30 mins at room temperature, to avoid uneven cooking. Rubboth sides with EVOO (or canola if you prefer a more neutral taste), hit it liberally with fresh cracked pepper and sea/kosher salt only immediately beforecooking (salt extracts moisture, so don't hit it with the salt too far ahead of time).

For a normal ribeye, pre-heat the oven to 450 and get your cooktop to medium-high heat. Sear both sides for 90 seconds to 2 mins (depending on how you likeyour crust / doneness / cut of steak / oven heat), then put the entire pan into the oven (it MUST be cast iron!). After 2 minutes, flip the steak, and let itgo for another 2 (again, it may be 3 minutes for each side in the oven, depending on how accurate your oven is and how you like your steaks).

Take it out, place it on a plate to rest, drop a pat of herb butter on top, cover loosely with foil.

Prepare yourself a side in the next 4-5 minutes.

Then go back to your steak, plate, serve, and enjoy.

Originally Posted by NoSlickRemarks

As long as i have some of this I I'm good to go
sweetbabyrays.jpg
Maybe if you plan on overcooking a cheap skirt steak cut. Otherwise, keep your processed BBQ sauce away from my steak.

If you really want a sauce to go with your steak, proceed with the following if you cooked it in a pan.

While your steak is resting, grab the pan that you cooked it in. Set your burner to medium/medium-low (stay on the lower side, to be safe and not overcook) anddeglaze it. When the pan is back up to heat, pour in about a half cup to 3/4 cup of a decent wine (don't cook with it if you won't drink it), and use awooden spoon to scrape the stuck bits from the bottom of the pan. Once you've got all that good stuff off the bottom, continue to let it simmer for a fewminutes until about 1/2 the liquid has evaporated. Pull it off the heat, and transfer to your serving vessel. Drop in a pat of butter, stir until melted.

Drizzle a little bit on top of a steak cut on the bias, or serve it on the side to your discretion.

Pan sauce > bottled sauce.

Back
Top Bottom