Guide: How to proceed in case of mail-fraud

I suggest we make a guideline on how to proceed in case of mail-fraud.

US domestic or international, ebay or off-ebay...what is there to do? Who to contact? What kind of evidence is necessary/useful? What should be done before the deal to assure that it can be legally handled without much trouble? What about escrow services?

Let's gather some information.

Ced
Don't read this sentence.

Thanks for being a great mod. Ced...

Let me get all my info together, so I can say everything in 1 single post...
"Have you worn your IVs lately?"

Here is the US Postal Service fraud complaint webpage:
/www.usps.com/postalinspe...plaint.htm

I am going through this process along with two other Nter's and it can be a long process, so you have to be very patient. I have just recently recieved information from the USPS, and I filled this form out on May 23.

Its also useful to keep money order stubs, save your emails that were sent and recieved until the transaction is complete.

Thats about all I can think if for now, if I think of anything else I'll post it up. BECAUSE I HATE FRAUDS >:
mad.gif
>:
mad.gif

[/b]​

Paypal - a great way to prevent fraud is to pay with Paypal, if you have not recieved your merchandise make sure you file a Buyer Complaint form within 30 days, because after 30 days there is nothing Paypal can do about the money loss. YOu can do this buy logging into Paypal and Clicking the Security Center Link at the bottom of the page. You should then find a list of links where the buyer complaint form link will be.

Money Orders- If you must send a money order make sure you send a USPS money order. Since these money orders deal with the government, it is a federal offense to misuse these money order and when I called USPS, this includes fraudulent transactions. I did not look into it further but they have some steps you can go through.

Also before you make a transaction. Get the person's phone number and call it to make sure it is their actual phone number.

Escrow Services. Probably the best option if you do not know the person you are doing the transaction with. A escrow service I have used before was though www.krazykickz.com. It was a 10.00 flat fee, but that is nothing considering the reassurance you will get your stuff with no excuses. 10.00 is also not a lot if the two parties split the cost half and half. I dont know about you but I rather pay 10.00 then get frauded out of 300.00 or a pair of Jordan XI's. For more info on they escrow service the link is:

Krazykickz.com Escrow Services Information Page

I have also used ebay's escrow services but they do not give you the reassurance that the shoes will be authentic and not to mention they TAKE FOREVER to make the switch.

Well hope my information was helpful and all I have to say is to be smart when making transactions with people.

Quote:
Paypal - a great way to prevent fraud is to pay with Paypal, if you have not recieved your merchandise make sure you file a Buyer Complaint form within 30 days, because after 30 days there is nothing Paypal can do about the money loss. YOu can do this buy logging into Paypal and Clicking the Security Center Link at the bottom of the page. You should then find a list of links where the buyer complaint form link will be.
That's not completely true. I won an auction through ebay, got screwed. Because it was one of those deals where I bid .01, ebay couldn't help me. Tried paypal, they said he was at fault but could not collect. They also said they could not help me any further, as stated in the terms of service. Finally reported it to my cc company, they helped me out.
Paypal screwed me as a seller also, sold an item...a few days later the funds were reversed, said he purchased using "fraudulent" funds. Had to call the NY post office to get my kicks back. So all in all, paypal sucks!

[/url]

^to add along with that thought, in the event of a ''charge back'' Paypal can do nothing. Nothing is really completely safe, besides Western Union, IMO.
Been on Niketalk since day one, took on an honor to be a member on: March 29, 2001 ...Js4sale

I must enter this thread too...

First for js4sale, a question, how is Western Union secure???

Now, about my deals so far and experiences. I can be of use for the international deals, since I live in Macedonia, and ive done more than 30 deals, buying or selling.
I was frauded as a buyer, and i think that there is a very small chance to get refund or your stuff back, even though there are legal measures that you can take. There is a web site, i think thats it is called internet fraud police, where you can file a case against anybody that frauded you on internet, but their agents are so slow, or maybe theyre ranking the cases by their order, so so far i have filed two cases, and i got a response only once, where they said that one of my cases was processed and i should wait for their agent to contact me through mail. I'm still waiting :\
ohwell.gif

When paying, i think its best to use paypal, although i cant use it since i cant register (my country isnt listed), because you have some chances to get a refund, from paypal, or from your CC company.
I use bidpay, or Western Union money transfer, and i dont see any reason why js4sale calls it safe. When you pay through bidpay, you send MO to the seller, and wait for the seller to send you the package. If he/she is a fraud, you cant ask bidpay for refund. Good thing here is that you must purchase the goods on an auction to be able to send bidpay MO, so in case you get frauded you can go through ebay for refund. In the case of money transfer through Western Union, its the same, with the difference that in this case you dont have to be a winner on some auction in order to be able to send money to the seller. So, if you pay in this way, I can advise you to secure yourself by asking for an auction anyway, so you can ask for the refund from ebay in case you get frauded.
There is always the opportunity to send cash in a sealed envelope also, but i dont need to talk about the safetiness of that way of sending.

I think that this will help somebody, and that it will be of some use.

Thank you.

what if u get frauded over cash sent by mail? It might've been in this post already, but i was too lazy to read. Can i just have some pointers? I'm about to invest in a deal for some 13's for 85 shipped and the guy says I have to send over mail....
Doctor #1: Homer, if we take this crayon out of your brain, it might increase your brain power...

Doctor #2:...Or It might just kill you....

Homer Simpson:Increase my killing power...eh?

also, my friend got frauded through paypal about a year ago. do u think he can get his money back and get the guy arrested if he reports it to his cc company? because he has all the guy's info..
Doctor #1: Homer, if we take this crayon out of your brain, it might increase your brain power...

Doctor #2:...Or It might just kill you....

Homer Simpson:Increase my killing power...eh?

THere is no protection if you send cash through the mail. This has to be the number 1 way to get frauded. You have no proof of anything, and the address you could be sending it to could be a PO Box or a friend. I would not proceed unless going through escrow. I recommend www.krazykickz.com for escrow services or put up and ebay auction (not for 1 cent, FOR THE FULL AMOUNT)

if sending to a p.o. box, as most scams are usually run through it seems, why is it that this is a safe way?

can authorities not get the info of p.o. boxes or something?
______

if you were frauded through money order, is there a minimum amount of time to file a complaint?
All Black Prada Sport Shoes For Sale. (Size: Prada 8 - American 9) *Card, Box and Drawstring Bag Included*

DreQwon@yahoo.com

For all Nter that has got fraut by trading shoes with people on-line.try Krazykickz.com they have a new service to trading stuff for people,and it's just $10.00 per transaction,i think it's a pretty good deal since you just need to pay $5.00 and the other pay $5.00 and you both would recieve the stuff from each other (just a matter of time.)

Back
Top Bottom