H&M Apologizes for Racist Response to Lack of Diversity in Marketing Campaign

[h1]H&M Apologizes for Racist Response to Lack of Diversity in Marketing Campaign[/h1][h2]H&M, which just opened in South Africa, has apologized for a social media comment that said white models portray a "positive image" for the brand[/h2]
The fashion industry has never been known as a bastion of diversity, but talk about letting the proverbial cat out of the bag. H&M apologized last week for a comment on Twitter that said white models portray a more "positive image" for the brand, according to Eyewitness News.

The apology came after social media user, Tlalane Letlhaku,  tweeted H&M South Africa, asking workers to please include more black models in its global marketing campaign.

The company tweeted back that its workers make selections that “convey a positive image” in its stores. 

Twitter promptly went off:

Here is the apology. And is it enough? Clearly the negativity represents a mindset that does not disappear with a simple apology.
http://www.theroot.com/articles/cul..._lack_of_diversity_in_marketing_campaign.html

thoughts? 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Yea cant really blame H&M for this one. This was just the opinion of same random idiot they hired to be over their social media presence

At least he/she was being honest. White People do generate a "positive image" *kanye shrug

everybody speaking on racism all day every day but will you boycott that store tho?
just feel like there's a lot of talk with no action to back it up

I will h&m been trash for years.

Uniqlo got them beat by far in the affordable clothing game

everybody speaking on racism all day every day but will you boycott that store tho?

Real talk h&m is traaaash now. I remember getting a $50 gift card last xmas and gave it to my cousin cuz I couldnt find anything I liked lol

The new uniqlo store is right by the H&m on michigan ave here in Chicago :lol:

Back to the topic at hand, it was a foolish thing to respond with by the h&m acct

I know how eager people are to pull the race card so I'm trying hard to understand where the hm representative was coming from. It sounds as if they are trying to give a long-winded response and twitter took one portion and ran with it. I notice that the fourth portion is missing, it could've very well stated something like "this positive image that we seek is based on inclusion and diversity". Or the person could simply feel that the sitewhite race is superior.

south african store uses only white models

nothing racist going on there

thats not the same place that had apartheid is it? 
nerd.gif

not to mention the idea that theres literally only one person who responds to tweets when they come up like this did 
laugh.gif

not to mention how did that "apology" address the original question?

Last edited:
As an African, there is NO WAY I'm hitting up H&M on African soil. F### THAT.

At least he/she was being honest. White People do generate a "positive image" *kanye shrug
in what part of history?

maybe amongst each other but whites have raped every other group of people. Literally and figuratively raped

the fact South Africa is ran by whites is a crime in itself...damn shame they let some Dutch settlers steal their resources and power 
mean.gif

This is the definition of manufactured controversy. Nobody actually cares about the diversity (or lack thereof) of H&M marketing campaigns, right?

Back
Top Bottom