Happens to te best of us--BUSTED laptop screen: need tips

fell asleep with the laptop on the bed, kicked it off, screen is cracked

I already know best buy will charge enough that it not even worth fixing, I currently have it hooked up to the TV with vga

its a dell studio 17 btw, anybody else been through this, how did it go

buy a screen off eBay, they go for about 125. I've fixed one myself, it's easy enough to do by yourself. I have the same laptop btw, how do you get thesound to go to the other device (HDTV in my case) when you use HDMI? I went to control panel and set sound to "HDMI Device" and set that as default,but I was still getting sound from the laptop and not the tv. I know Dell is middle of the pack in those reliability ratings, but the Studio 1737 is a prettygood laptop. It's core 2 duo t6600, 3 or 4gb of ram depending on your model, hdmi output, and you can get options like 9 cell instead of 6 cell battery,some have fingerprint readers or face recognizers, mine has 2 320gb fall sensor hard drives in it, you can get it with blu ray and dedicated graphics ifyou'd like but I didn't get either.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-17-1-WXGA-L...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca3d7f555
NWLCG-XJ702.jpg

bought a 3 year warranty from dell when i bought it. covered everything. they came over and fixed it for free.

try ebay though. should be easy to replace. remember to use bing cb. you''l get 8% back.

should have gotten that black tie protection.
Honestly its not worth fixing, get Asus 1yr free ADH

props datsnasty, you always come through, as far as getting the sound on to your hdtv, I have no idea, I just hook up portable speakers to my laptop and hearthrough there

what I have heard is if I cop the display, I can bring it to best buy and they can put it together for cheap, I might check that out, because Im horrible withtech stuff I know Ill never be able to repair it

I wouldn't pay more than 50. There's videos on Youtube showing you how to do it.

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

props datsnasty, you always come through, as far as getting the sound on to your hdtv, I have no idea, I just hook up portable speakers to my laptop and hear through there

what I have heard is if I cop the display, I can bring it to best buy and they can put it together for cheap, I might check that out, because Im horrible with tech stuff I know Ill never be able to repair it

try a mom and pop store to fix it rather than best buy. The same thing happend to me with my old compaq presario v5306 bought the screen for like $170 withshipping from a website took it to my local mom & pops store and had my computer repaired for $80 dollars. Try your local mom & pop stores first thenbestbuy or frys( they fix computers also) I hope that helped

When my screen blew out 2 years ago, I was still under the Dell warranty and the repairman replaced the screen in about 10 minutes. It was pretty simple, justa bunch of screws and connectors that you simply unplug and replug. Also, if you youtube videos like DatZNasty said, I'm sure you can replace it with ease(I replaced my screen earlier this year without videos and it took me almost an hour, but that's >$50 savings..).

sorry to hear that crank....you gotta put that joint on the desk when you feel yourself getting sleepy in the future man.

Rubbed one out b4 you went to sleep huh.....happens to the best of 'em
laugh.gif
Jokes. BTW google "nyc computer repair" you'll get a ton of options for your laptop. I think my boy went to tekserve he said they did agood job.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

I have the same laptop btw, how do you get the sound to go to the other device (HDTV in my case) when you use HDMI? I went to control panel and set sound to "HDMI Device" and set that as default, but I was still getting sound from the laptop and not the tv.
you have to close the audio program you're using (itunes, WMP, your browser, etc. ) or restart your comp after making the change. I do thelatter as it's more sure to work. Do the same when you put it back to the default speakers

Back
Top Bottom