Hardest Sport To Pick Up Later in Life (Between Basketball, Football, or Baseball)

Originally Posted by rafsjays

If you're talking about each sport and not variations of it I think it would be football.  Its a lot more complicated of a game, on both sides of the ball. For someone who has never played a sport it would be very difficult to simply step in to. I wont even get into taking/receiving hits.

With baseball the toughest part will be getting over the fear of the ball hitting you. Defense is fairly simple. Plus you dont have to be in the best shape, ie. theres a lot of sitting/standing around.

Basket ball would be tough from a cardio point of view. That would be a lot of running for someone who is not used to it. Also

Originally Posted by beezylocks

football, every position is different,
unless your talking about QB, i have to disagree............alot of football is athleticism

It is athleticism, but each position requires a very different skill set.

co-sign

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The choices are between Basketball, Football, and Baseball. The thing was he didn't even bring up the QB in his argument for football. He said WR. It's easier to teach someone to run routes, catch and read defenses than it is to field under different conditions and hit a ball moving so fast.

Between the 3 sports I'd have to say Football because its very tough.

But the all time Hardest Sport to pick up later in life is Gymnastics.  You will never see an old Gymnast competing in some form of NON rythmic gymnastics.

Originally Posted by raptors29

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The choices are between Basketball, Football, and Baseball. The thing was he didn't even bring up the QB in his argument for football. He said WR. It's easier to teach someone to run routes, catch and read defenses than it is to field under different conditions and hit a ball moving so fast.

So youre saying that catching and hitting a ball is harder that reading a defense (which requires a lot of studying), basing your route on what you read, catching a ball while going full speed and knowing that youre going to get hit?

really?

Now I'm not saying hitting a baseball is easy by any means, but think about it.

Most definitively baseball, if you don't start playing by at least 15, you're SOL for the minors/majors. It is very difficult to learn to hit that ball...word to me playing JV for four jears 
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif

I am going to say baseball......of the big 3 at least.....hockey is another hard one.....

Hitting a 70mph slider was one of the hardest things I ever had the pleasure of learning.....watching the rotation of the ball is super tough.....

learning how to stick handle in hockey, would be almost impossible to learn now......happy I got both out of the way...lol

So youre saying that catching and hitting a ball is harder that reading a defense (which requires a lot of studying), basing your route on what you read, catching a ball while going full speed and knowing that youre going to get hit?

really?

I didn't say playing receiver was easy. Besides QB and WR there really isn't any position that's too hard to learn. Everyone on the other hand in baseball has to hit besides the pitcher. 

basketball....it takes time to play properly...to dribbling..to passing...and timing of shooting....

you ever hear pf old men telling you..oh its been a while since i played basketball......then when they get the ball they dribble like a pansy like stanley on the office...

or when they theyre so focused on dribbling...that they only look down...and when they stop...that when they decide to choose who to pass to....

an adult trying to learn basketball is like a kid trying to learn basketball....they both start at the same place....

you can say that about the other 2 sports too..but theres more in basketball

Originally Posted by NY Mavurs

The answer is most definately baseball...

yup
basketball is pretty easy to pick up on and off. football well I sucked at it anyway so can't really comment. and baseball, was decent and last time i played was like two summers ago hitting wasn't too bad, but fielding was embarrassing missed grounders and horrible throws all over the place

really?

I didn't say playing receiver was easy. Besides QB and WR there really isn't any position that's too hard to learn. Everyone on the other hand in baseball has to hit besides the pitcher. 

Youre not getting it. Regardless of position, you need to have a lot of physical ability, as well as put in hours on hours of studying.

But I guess being extremely athletic, the ability to take punishment, and memorizing one of these is easy
nfl_rd_bennett01_580.jpg

eyes.gif

For sure baseball, and its not about the strategizing like football but the actual skill.

It's tougher to actually be nice at basketball later on in life. Football might be the easiest, but the more athletic you are the easier it comes to you.

really?

Youre not getting it. Regardless of position, you need to have a lot of physical ability, as well as put in hours on hours of studying.

But I guess being extremely athletic, the ability to take punishment, and memorizing one of these is easy
nfl_rd_bennett01_580.jpg

eyes.gif

But I'm saying those are 2 out of 11 positions. The QB and the WR are working together. The pitcher isn't looking to help you. Baseball is 10 against 1 (The players and the ball). You can't just tell them you're gonna play defense and not hit. You can teach someone to play O-Line easy. 

Baseball.

I am a Basketball player, and i couldnt hit the damn baseball for crap.

I hate football but i am Great at it.

really?

eyes.gif

But I'm saying those are 2 out of 11 positions. The QB and the WR are working together. The pitcher isn't looking to help you. Baseball is 10 against 1 (The players and the ball). You can't just tell them you're gonna play defense and not hit. You can teach someone to play O-Line easy. 

df8257dede664a0980f32a4208ef7ca3b8bc18b.gif
 Did you even play football in high school? No O line is not easy to learn it isn't just about standing around blocking. It is about knowing where the ball is at all times, which isn't easy when you got your back to it. Therefore, you have to memorize the plays just like anyone else. Also you have to be able to spot and pick up the blitz all while making sure you aren't holding the other guy.

On defense the linebacker has to be able to pick up the play as well. Whether it is a run or a pass, whether they're going to the left or right, whether or not to shoot the A-Gap, etc. All these skills come from years of practice, studying film/route, and just plain knowing your oponent. Same thing with a safety who has to be able to read the QB right. Why do you think teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore suffer so much when players like Ray, and Polomalu get injured or get old?

The point is no you can't just jump into football and be able to play you have to know what you're doing. Baseball you know what you're doing cuz you just have to hit the ball. If you don't manage to do that then oh well you get another chance later in the game or you can hope your team picks up the slack.

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Baseball easily

No question. I'm very athletic and can hang with the best of them.
I've picked up every sport I've ever played but if you didn't learn the fundamentals of baseball early, you're SOL. 

Basketball. Dribbling a ball up the court while someone else is trying to take it, while deciding what you're going to do next is not easy. Let's not even get on shooting or defending.
So much coordination needed for basketball.

This is basically a 'what's your favorite sport' thread on the low.

Back
Top Bottom