Hardest Sport To Pick Up Later in Life (Between Basketball, Football, or Baseball)

Baseball. I think of the three, it's the sport that requires the most reps. A freak of nature won't be able to just come in and excel. Whereas I can see a freak doing so (relatively speaking) in basketball and football.

StaXX wrote:
Originally Posted by emil23j

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

Like I said, if you're an athlete, you can get by in football and basketball no problem. 
Baseball is a different story. 

I would like to see someone who's never played baseball bat and effectively hit the ball.

It won't happen. 

Thats just stupid.

I don't care if you are a world class sprinter. You would get abused on the hardwood (and the same thing probably goes for football) if you don't have any basic basketball skills. You just can't teach basketball fundamentals over night.
Trust me on this. I've played with guys that can jump outta the building, are quick as hell and strong as beasts but that doesn't mean anything when it comes too in game situations. You need more then athletic ability to be able to play in a competitive game.  If you don't have the basic fundamentals (both offensively and defensively) you will get embarassed out there.

Stop it. If you have any athletic ability at all you can get by in both sports. You won't be a superstar, but you can get by and compete.

There are countless stories about guys who start playing both those sports in HS and go on to the NBA or NFL.

You rarely hear about guys just picking up baseball their junior hear in HS and going to the majors. 

Yeah you hear about it. But it ain't like they never played it before. They just never played organized before which is a BIG difference.

It's like the myth that MJ was cut from varisty (when in fact they didn't even let freshmen on the team)

Exactly. They get on the field with no formal coaching or training and pick it up to become a superstar.
Now how many guys do you know that's never played baseball that can get on the field right now and hit an 80 MPH ball coming at them?... (And that's just HS 
sick.gif
)

Exactly? Hell you talking about?
Please read the first post:

Me and my homies were having an argument today about which sportit's hardest to pick up after childhood. Basketball, Football, orBaseball? I'm talking about someone who hasn't played any of them atall prior. I say baseball. 

If they get on the field with no formal coaching or training, still means that they have been training on their own which means they obviously have some kind of skill set.
And no one just decides to start playing organized basketball in their late teens or early 20s if they never played the sport before. And when I say play I do mean on your own, pickup or whatever cause that counts as playing too.
So NO. there is no way you can become a superstar or whatever if you pick up the sport at age 18 (without ever touching a basketball). The same thing probably goes for baseball and football. But there are much more skills to master before becoming a basketball player then a baseball player. Sure I realize it is hard as hell pitching and batting, but I bet you could pick that up quicker then the basketball fundamentals

possibly baseball. i dont think i could make contact off a pitcher with any talent.

but everyone saying football is just athleticism has obviously never played. you need to have good athleticism to even compete much less be good at it.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

If you're talking about each sport and not variations of it I think it would be football.  Its a lot more complicated of a game, on both sides of the ball. For someone who has never played a sport it would be very difficult to simply step in to. I wont even get into taking/receiving hits.

With baseball the toughest part will be getting over the fear of the ball hitting you. Defense is fairly simple. Plus you dont have to be in the best shape, ie. theres a lot of sitting/standing around.

Basket ball would be tough from a cardio point of view. That would be a lot of running for someone who is not used to it. Also

Originally Posted by beezylocks

football, every position is different,
unless your talking about QB, i have to disagree............alot of football is athleticism

It is athleticism, but each position requires a very different skill set.

you serious? you're bias is so severe it's not even funny...

Baseball far and away is the toughest...

baseball might be harder to pick up later in life but it's harder to be good in basketball than baseball.

Baseball. Definitely. I remember some kids picking this up starting freshmen year and never really improved. You need good mechanics installed as a young kid or something.

I've seen good athletes learn to be a decent football player in half of a season without any prior experience.

And with basketball, if you are a good athlete you can pretty much figure out how to be a great defender. People's jumpshots can improve like crazy in a short amount of time playing as well.

Out of the three, anyone who says anything other than baseball is 100% wrong. Period.

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

Like I said, if you're an athlete, you can get by in football and basketball no problem. 
Baseball is a different story. 

I would like to see someone who's never played baseball bat and effectively hit the ball.

It won't happen. 

Thats just stupid.

I don't care if you are a world class sprinter. You would get abused on the hardwood (and the same thing probably goes for football) if you don't have any basic basketball skills. You just can't teach basketball fundamentals over night.
Trust me on this. I've played with guys that can jump outta the building, are quick as hell and strong as beasts but that doesn't mean anything when it comes too in game situations. You need more then athletic ability to be able to play in a competitive game.  If you don't have the basic fundamentals (both offensively and defensively) you will get embarassed out there.

Stop it. If you have any athletic ability at all you can get by in both sports. You won't be a superstar, but you can get by and compete.

There are countless stories about guys who start playing both those sports in HS and go on to the NBA or NFL.

You rarely hear about guys just picking up baseball their junior hear in HS and going to the majors. 

Yeah you hear about it. But it ain't like they never played it before. They just never played organized before which is a BIG difference.

It's like the myth that MJ was cut from varisty (when in fact they didn't even let freshmen on the team)

Exactly. They get on the field with no formal coaching or training and pick it up to become a superstar.
Now how many guys do you know that's never played baseball that can get on the field right now and hit an 80 MPH ball coming at them?... (And that's just HS 
sick.gif
)

Exactly? Hell you talking about?
Please read the first post:

Me and my homies were having an argument today about which sportit's hardest to pick up after childhood. Basketball, Football, orBaseball? I'm talking about someone who hasn't played any of them atall prior. I say baseball. 

If they get on the field with no formal coaching or training, still means that they have been training on their own which means they obviously have some kind of skill set.
And no one just decides to start playing organized basketball in their late teens or early 20s if they never played the sport before. And when I say play I do mean on your own, pickup or whatever cause that counts as playing too.
So NO. there is no way you can become a superstar or whatever if you pick up the sport at age 18 (without ever touching a basketball). The same thing probably goes for baseball and football. But there are much more skills to master before becoming a basketball player then a baseball player. Sure I realize it is hard as hell pitching and batting, but I bet you could pick that up quicker then the basketball fundamentals

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm done here. 

You can always tell whose actually played sports with these kind of post. 

If you say basketball
I know for sure your biased and should quit arguing

I can see the argument for football and baseball

Anyways this thread is so subjective and has so much bias in it

emil23j wrote:

Son, if you're the size of Lebron James and decide to play basketball at the age of 18, with any athletic ability, you will survive. You can stand under the goal and dunk/block shots everytime.
However, if you're that size playing baseball, it means nothing without fundamentals. I'm a beast in the weight room/football field and I've never come close to hitting a homerun. 

I'd bet money if we put my athleticism up against your fundamentals I'd come out on top. 

You really don't believe the things you're typing. You just can't. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And once again FTR.. I'm a football player. 

StaXX wrote:
emil23j wrote:

Son, if you're the size of Lebron James and decide to play basketball at the age of 18, with any athletic ability, you will survive. You can stand under the goal and dunk/block shots everytime.
However, if you're that size playing baseball, it means nothing without fundamentals. I'm a beast in the weight room/football field and I've never come close to hitting a homerun. 

I'd bet money if we put my athleticism up against your fundamentals I'd come out on top. 

You really don't believe the things you're typing. You just can't. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And once again FTR.. I'm a football player. 

BASKETBALL IS THE HARDEST TO BE NICE AT BUT BASEBALL IS THE HARDEST TO PICK UP

It is Baseball, it takes a lot to learn hand - eye coordination to hit a ball with a bat, as we all know as you get old your hand - eye coordiantion decreases
you add fielding, pitching, and sitting on the bench for a long time...
laugh.gif

Baseball, wait till that 99 mph fastball. I bet yall wouldn't be saying anything after that.

Back
Top Bottom