has anyone ever had Meniscus Surgery?

Hey so I play high school and AAU basketball and just found out i tore my meniscus and have to get surgery next thursday
frown.gif
. Has anyone else ever had this surgery and if so how long did it take you toget back to playing competitive sports and was it easy to return?

I usually see patients 6-8 weeks for a meniscus surgery.

If you get aggressive therapy you can get on the low side.

it's not too bad.
i tore my meniscus in december 07.... didn't get surgery til march '08
i didn't want to miss my senior year so i strengthened it while i was hurt
they said it was to the point it couldn't get worse so yeah
i was back to playing withint 6-8 weeks i want to say
it was easier to get back into it because i pretty much rehabbd prior to surgery

i tore my ACL(october 08) and it needed months(4-5) to rehab ( i avoid surgery)
but now i cant play football or even get a 100% run in. smh at myself for avoiding surgery.......

Yup tore my meniscus twice.

Good luck homie, my meniscus (left knee) bothers me than my tore ACL (right knee).

Originally Posted by jakecuevas

but now i cant play football or even get a 100% run in. smh at myself for avoiding surgery.......

you can rehab on your own pace. 4-5 months is the ideal time for those who wants to heal fast and get back in the game.

If you don't perform surgery, your knee will continue to deteriorate and develop arthritis

I spent a week on the couch, 3 days on crutches, and month in rehab before I got cleared to play again. Took about a year before I felt completely normal againtho :/

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

you can rehab on your own pace. 4-5 months is the ideal time for those who wants to heal fast and get back in the game.

If you don't perform surgery, your knee will continue to deteriorate and develop arthritis
is surgery still an option or do you think my knee healed??

it hurts time from time but is the worst after a run
mad.gif

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

is surgery still an option or do you think my knee healed??

it hurts time from time but is the worst after a run
mad.gif
the acl doesnt heal. Once it is torn its gone for life.

I dont know about Meniscus, but I had torn cartilage in my left knee twice. The first time I didnt want to have surgery and after some rehab I played more that2 years on it. The second time though I tore it was not too funny, as I couldnt even sleep at night, cuz of the pain. The thing is that the loose parts ofcartilage did some further damage in my knee just flying around, and there was a pretty big chance they might damage my ligaments. There was no choice, butsurgery.

The worst part after coming back was staying agressive on the court and really not thinking about the leg. It took me about a year after surgery to stop reallythinking about that knee, and taking pressure off it. Before I was doing all the layups going off right or both legs, it wouldnt even cross my mind to go offmy left in traffic. Pretty much having two surgeries one after another (I had an appendix surgery just 2 months before the knee - lost more than 15 pounds in 7days cuz of it) ruined my "career" and any slim chances I had of getting a contract.

Do all the rehab they tell you to do and dont rush it. I did and right now I dont have much trouble with the knee, but know people who didnt and after eachpractice are in pain. Sometimes it would hurt like hell after coming back, but after some time the knee gets used to running and sharp turns, so its gettingbetter.

Back
Top Bottom