Has anyone here Downgraded from VISTA to XP??

i have 2 laptops and one has Vista and one wit XP on it... im not a big fan of windows vista and i wanna downgrade that one to XP. i was readin on some otherboards and it got to the point where i couldnt understand what they were talkin about due to the techincal terms they were using
ohwell.gif

and also, someone suggested that i use Ubuntu as a OS (www.ubuntu.com) which is free and seems cool, butim skeptical about using that as a cop out, im sure i can tweek it to my likings but i just wanna see what else i can do cause i really wanna use XP

thanks in advance fellas

I think all you would have to do is install xp, but im not sure. I have both, Vista has a lot of problems, especially if your a gamer, but it has a lot of nicefeatures too.

well, i didnt downgrade, but i partitioned my hard drive so i can choose if i want xp or vista when i startup my laptop, i didnt want to just throw away myvista. and idk about ubuntu because compatibility issues with alot of programs/drivers

Originally Posted by javier5857

well, i didnt downgrade, but i partitioned my hard drive so i can choose if i want xp or vista when i startup my laptop, i didnt want to just throw away my vista. and idk about ubuntu because compatibility issues with alot of programs/drivers
yea thats what i was thinking too, but they have a large variety of free software available to DL and also different versions of the ubuntu

Still on XP Pro. I am probably going to switch to Mac soon, so I doubt I'll ever use Vista. Tried computers with Vista Ultimate and they're okay. I seeno reason to upgrade at this point.

I would just reformat my drive and do a clean install of XP if I had a Vista system though.

Don't do it!!! Until you find all of the drivers, do not do anything. Vista's drivers are completely different from XP, and none of your stuff willwork.
Edit: IMO, XP is better, but just make sure you know what you're getting into before you start.

i have heard bad things bout vista....

i was about to upgrade also...good thing i didnt....

Lol @ everyone going by "what they heard". Until you try it out for yourself, you dont know whats going to work or not. I personally am not upgradingto Vista because of the load and minimum requirements, I use an nLite'ned version of XP and it works great for gaming. Its all in what you want.

I had a new computer built and purposely had XP put on it. It has run problem free and I have no issue with finding programs to work on it AND I know whereeverything is.

Never get an MS OS until it's been out a couple of years. They just seem to have to patch EVERYTHING they've ever made.

it can't be done

anyone who says so is either extremely technically proficient or a liar.

i'm opting for the latter in this case

how can I downgrade Windows XP Service pack 2, to the OG Windows XP? My friends laptop ran pretty smooth with the OG version that was installed, but sloweddown when it was updated

Don't do it!!! Until you find all of the drivers, do not do anything. Vista's drivers are completely different from XP, and none of your stuff will work
Tru story. I just bought a HP laptop thinking that as soon as I get it, I could downgrade to XP. Then I checked the HP site for XP drivers andfound only about 1/6 of the necessary drivers. So now im stuck with vista. I tried it b4 and neva liked it but ill give it another shot since I alreadyordered it. They need to allow users to decide between XP and Vista but of course they wont cause of u know who.

how can I downgrade Windows XP Service pack 2, to the OG Windows XP? My friends laptop ran pretty smooth with the OG version that was installed, but slowed down when it was updated
If you installed Sp2, just uninstall it. IF you got your PC with Sp2 already installed, you're out of luck. There is no reason not to have iton there. The security updates that it provides alone are worth it. If your friend had problems after upgrading, then it was more than likely NOT just Sp2, buta combination of other problems.

will the double partition thing work?
Yes, sort of. As far as I know, you can't downgrade straight from Vista to XP. You can reformat your drive, reinstall with XP, and lose allyour data. If you want to run Vista and XP, or XP and Ubuntu, or whatever,The easiest way is to resize your hard drive. I use a tool called Gparted. You candownload it for free. I'm currently running XP on a 50Gb partition of my laptop, Vista on a 40GB partition, and Ubuntu on a 25GB partition, with a 2GB Swappartition, a 2GB paging partition, and the rest formatted as a shared media drive.

Personally I love Vista.
I think it is one of the best OS's Microsoft made.

I do understand there are hardware issues with some laptops/computers (nothing new drivers wouldn't fix in the future).

But on my system, it runs great.
My only concern is the amount of system resources it uses, and so I'm thinking about upgrading to 2gb of ram, cause 1 is just not enough in my opinion.

Also, Vista takes some getting used to because it is different, it is not as mechanical as past Windows.
Same goes with Office 2007, it is frustrating at first, but once you become comfortable with it, you will see that you can do your work much more effectively.

i've done it recently, and now my computer is running wayyy faster.

how can it not be done?
it was pretty simple for me.
just boot the xp disc on startup and delete your partitioned drive.

Ive got two laptops one that is about 3 yrs old with XP and another about 4 months old with Vista, and I hardly ever touch the laptop with vista because I likethe XP operating system so much better.

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Jay, just format and start fresh, that's the easiest way.
i think that im leanin towards the double partition idea.. i wanna keep the Vista (i think) or should i format and install the XP? N what is usayin?

Back
Top Bottom