Has Anyone Here Ever Sued Their Employer for Discrimination?

It's looking like that's what I'm about to have to do, but I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared. I know I'm in for long and hard legal battle, but ultimately I know I will prevail, eventually. For now, I have enough in my 401k to cash out to start my business and cover my mortgage for a while. It's scary after working with a company for a decade, a company that you depend on to pay the bills and for insurance for my kid, but I just can't continue to slave for a company that doesn't appreciate it care about the vast majority of people of color that work for them.

An attorney would be best for this question. Do you have written or recorded proof of such discrimination?

No but have known people in the past who did. They did eventually get paid out but had stipulations like not working there again (naturally). Not easy though as they are going to try their best to make you look like you were a bad employee. You have to make sure they can't disparage you to other employers either but a good lawyer should be thinking of that. Get all the emails now.

No but have known people in the past who did. They did eventually get paid out but had stipulations like not working there again (naturally). Not easy though as they are going to try their best to make you look like you were a bad employee. You have to make sure they can't disparage you to other employers either but a good lawyer should be thinking of that. Get all the emails now.

Doesn’t that follows you, almost like black balled. Most companies won’t you due to past litigations, as if you’ll be problematic to their work environment.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't want to work for anyone ever again. Win or loose I will be self made and I have enough invested to at least start my business today if I wanted, and I believe enough in myself to ensure success, so honestly I'm not even worried about that.

You can do it and you can “win”. However be warned that it won’t be a fun process and the reward will likely be less than you think it should be. Companies don’t give a **** about righting wrongs—they just want to get out of these situations paying as little $$ as they can.

Basically I reported a hostile work environment after dealing with a particular employee that has been giving me trouble for the past year and they responded by writing me up for saying "you're welcome" to her and for being on my phone... Classic retaliation. I filed my complaint with the EEOC today, interview on Tuesday.

Basically I reported a hostile work environment after dealing with a particular employee that has been giving me trouble for the past year and they responded by writing me up for saying "you're welcome" to her and for being on my phone... Classic retaliation. I filed my complaint with the EEOC today, interview on Tuesday.
You left out the part that says what happened

what made it a hostile work environment

Well the fact that I am the only person of color and the only man that works there, combined with the fact that I absolutely destroy everyone else in sales makes them want to clique up, not turn over customers they can't close to me, which is one of our policies. The last straw for me was when this associate threw a fit when her cousin came in and I sold him a $4500 bracelet THAT I GAVE HER CREDIT FOR. She threatened to rering the sale which is basically stealing $$$ from me which is completely unacceptable. They are used to bullying people like this but they know I'm not the one. Also I've been denied promotions for petty *** reasons... I was about to get promoted to the 4th highest grossing store in the country a few years ago (which was quickly shot down by my last DM who wrote me up for "showing more than 2 pieces of merchandise at a time") something that everyone does everywhere), who recently got fired, probably for doing some bogus **** to a white person.

There's a lot that has happened over the past 10 years, but I have been documenting it all and I have a slew of other colleagues that are witnesses to all of this.

It's defamation at the very least, but there are many instances of favoritism towards white associates... Starting 7 years ago when this girl was promoted over me despite her standards not being up to snuff. My company preaches all this BS about being 5/5 in our measurement standards, which they claim is necessary in order to get promoted, but when it comes down to it we all know it's just politics. My numbers are some of the best in the country and it didn't really count for **** and that's not right.

A couple of things that came to mind reading your replies....

First about your business. You talked about having enough to start your business and pay your mortgage for awhile through your 401K. Do you have a fleshed out business plan put together? Do you have a solid idea of when it will become profitable? Will you/are you open to taking a small business loan instead or to bridge that gap between your 401K savings if things go south? Would you be eligible for such loan or any larger sum personal loan in general?

Now onto your discrimination case. From your posts, it sounds like you for a nationwide, maybe even multinational, company. This leads me to believe they have vast resources and you will not be their first discrimination case. I do not know the company or how they operate but there are two potential downfalls. One is that you could hire and lawyer and they could drag it out until they know you can't afford said lawyer anymore, leaving you with no money for your business. Another is that you could not get a lawyer meaning you would have to exert a ton of your personal time and energy into this only to get a minimal return. Is your goal here money (IDK if you have a certain amount in mind) or ensuring that "justice" is served.

I see why you are upset but I am not sure going the legal route will end with the result you want in the end. If you have enough money saved in your 401K already why sue? Why not just leave and bring this up in your exit interview? Or continue stacking at your current job until you have enough to comfortably leave?

I am aware that I do not know the full breadth of what happened but I am just throwing some of my initial thoughts out there

I only know of one person that has sued for discrimination, but they were successful.

Granted, his superior was 100% a racist prick and just about everyone that worked in the department agreed.

my ex boss sued for discrimination at his job for virgin airways in jfk airport
he won and didnt get alot, he won around the price of a new kia or something

Actually this happen at my last job... The director at my job was very vindictive and treated everyone poorly and it was just a hostile work environment... but she knew what she was doing to cover herself so she got the supervisor that worked under her do the dirty work....everything our director wanted to do or say she had the supervisor do that like yell at people to get the work done in a unrealistic amount of time or question people when they went to the bathroom...the receptionist at my job hated this and complained to the EOC herself...so what happen was everyone got interviewed by HR which was my coworkers, me, the receptionist and of course both the supervisor and director.... lets just say everyone kept it real with HR and was brutally honest...a month later after the investigation the supervisor was fired....the receptionist who is actually my friend told me what happen... she threaten to sue the company but said she wouldnt if they would fire either the director or the supervisor and they fired the latter.... 2 years later my friend the receptionist got laid off... doesnt seem like a mistake to me... the company was probably pissed about what happen and laid her off.... this is a big company mind you im talking about...my friend said she had 1 regret she said she should of got the director fired instead of giving them a choice... she didnt want to sue the company for money because she didnt want all of us to be a witness in court... she did it really just to get either the supervisor or director fired lol...

Oh man this is bringing back some memories now. The racist boss at my old job once tried to get me in trouble with my boss because I basically told him to **** off in slightly nicer language.

It was a sub-acute rehab center for patients fresh out of the hospital. We had a patient that wasn't doing well, so I decided to call a rapid response to get more hands on deck and get the patient transferred out of the building. The dip**** in question was the director of the dietary department, yet for some reason when he heard that rapid response called overhead he decided that this was his time to run up to the floor and "intervene." He tries to make his way into the room to see if he could "help in any way." Mind you, the room was PACKED with people to the point where he was trying to push actual healthcare workers out of the way. I give him a look of contempt and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing. Told him he has absolutely no business being up on the unit and that he needed to leave and go back to the kitchen.

He went down to my director's office to try to tell her about how I "disrespected" him and was "unprofessional." My boss sent out an email later that day reminding non-medical staff that it's inappropriate for them to intervene during rapid responses. :rofl:

Oh man this is bringing back some memories now. The racist boss at my old job once tried to get me in trouble with my boss because I basically told him to **** off in slightly nicer language.

It was a sub-acute rehab center for patients fresh out of the hospital. We had a patient that wasn't doing well, so I decided to call a rapid response to get more hands on deck and get the patient transferred out of the building. The dip**** in question was the director of the dietary department, yet for some reason when he heard that rapid response called overhead he decided that this was his time to run up to the floor and "intervene." He tries to make his way into the room to see if he could "help in any way." Mind you, the room was PACKED with people to the point where he was trying to push actual healthcare workers out of the way. I give him a look of contempt and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing. Told him he has absolutely no business being up on the unit and that he needed to leave and go back to the kitchen.

He went down to my director's office to try to tell her about how I "disrespected" him and was "unprofessional." My boss sent out an email later that day reminding non-medical staff that it's inappropriate for them to intervene during rapid responses. :rofl:

Gif of said boss. ELITE CLOSING SPEED when da call went out.

deion-sanders-run.gif

Back
Top Bottom