Has collecting/buying sneakers turned into a rich person hobby?

I just do not see how anyone but kids with no other bills or rich people can afford to be a part of this hobby.

Seeing all these cats flexing on instagram with $1k + kicks and GR's retail price running around $200 at what point will the sneaker hobby finally outprice the average consumer?

Yeah it has. Said it a while back in the hypebeast thread. Theyve hijacked the culture if you want to go that far. A swipe of their parents credit cards and they'll have one of the more impressive collections you'll see. Personally can't wait for the bubble to pop so that it becomes an underground thing again. Going to be a while before that happens though.

Yeah it has. Said it a while back in the hypebeast thread. Theyve hijacked the culture if you want to go that far. A swipe of their parents credit cards and they'll have one of the more impressive collections you'll see. Personally can't wait for the bubble to pop so that it becomes an underground thing again. Going to be a while before that happens though.

agree with all this.

I honestly doubt the bubble will pop...at least no time soon.:x

I gracefully bowed out a few years ago, not only are the prices of shoes getting out of hand but m&p shops want you to do cartwheels and somersaults to spend money on shoes. It went from loving shoes to profiting on shoes to bend over if you want these, and that's where the line gets drawn (at least for me) . Do i miss having the latest and greatest shoes? I did at first but that quickly goes away and you start to realize that there's way more important things to spend/save your money on. it also gave me the opportunity to wear the shoes that i already own that normally wouldn't get worn due to a new pair constantly getting purchased. $250 for foamposites is a direct slap in the face when they used to rott on clearance shelves at $99. this new era of rsvps and bots just to obtain sneakers made my decision to fall back that much easier...
/endrant

If you're into limited/special edition kicks then yea sure, if not then most things are attainable, just gotta do your homework I'd say.

Yep

Moreso than being a "rich person's hobby", it just got waaaaay too hard to obtain shoes . . . Dudes camping out 8 PM the night before
sick.gif
alien.gif

All I really cop now is Roshe's and look for obscure Nikes like Footscapes and Huaraches, or older Lebrons and Kobes I missed out on . . . I might cop a "hyped" release I like from a resale site, but I don't allow myself to ever go over 200 unless it's a major deal (Like South Beaches for a couple hundred) or something I really want (for example I might have to pay booty thief prices for the Aquas and Playoffs . . . even though they sat in 2007-2008
mean.gif
)

New Balances are dope and I'm trying to get into Asics, but after that Ronnie Fieg Kith pack (Miami and New York), it seems like those are about to be mad hyped too . . . wanna mess with the Saucony G4 series but they don't make ******g Size 13's
mad.gif

Oh well . . . Roshes and Timbs is what I wear most of the time anyway . . . makes you look like you have more shoes anyway when you wear Roshes/Timbs/Beaters 4-5 days out the week and then break out a limited release out of nowhere like every other Friday or something
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Agree with meek it's just harder to obtain shoes because there's more demand for them therefore making the resell go up

Last edited:
I've dumbed down my Jordan collection to a few 12s, 3s, and 4s. Not really interested in the crap they're putting out the past few years, especially with the whacky hipster colorways. Will grab a pair of Fire Red 3s and be done for good. Find myself wearing Clarks desert boots most of the time anyways.

Would give anything to go back to the 90s, walk into JCPenney, and buy a pair of year old Air Jordans.

Yeah after I finally got a hand on black cement 4s' , I am officially through and selling the last remaining shoes I could careless about....
Mostly my closet now consist of vans, air maxes, new balance and two pair of roshe runs( but now they are killing those, I mean damn homie150-200 for a pair of iguanas)
But like someone said the bubble will not burst anytime soon
Edit: I wouldn't mind those air max 1 fb joints that everybody called"yeezy" inspired but not for two bills

No. "Collecting/buying sneakers" has always been for people with money. A large part of the reason people did it since day one was to be fresh with the latest/cleanest shoe(s). For the most part, cats w/o money weren't wearing J's and whatnot.That said, the people that are buying aftermarket Yeezy's/etc have some strange priorities. Most are probably buying them in favor of maxing out a Roth IRA, 401k, or other long term investments.

P.S. Roshe's are buns. I hope they stay hyped.

Last edited:
Just go to ebay and look at how many pairs are at $1000 plus. I remember 5-7 years ago you could count the pairs selling for that much on two hands.

Just go to ebay and look at how many pairs are at $1000 plus. I remember 5-7 years ago you could count the pairs selling for that much on two hands.

Yep.

But most pairs prices like that aren't selling, and definitely aren't worth that much.

No. "Collecting/buying sneakers" has always been for people with money. A large part of the reason people did it since day one was to be fresh with the latest/cleanest shoe(s). For the most part, cats w/o money weren't wearing J's and whatnot.That said, the people that are buying aftermarket Yeezy's/etc have some strange priorities. Most are probably buying them in favor of maxing out a Roth IRA, 401k, or other long term investments.

P.S. Roshe's are buns. I hope they stay hyped.

pretty much. Collecting anything imo means you have extra money to throw around. and especially shoes that are over $100. If your "collecting" them, even years ago you still had to have disposable income for it.

I see kid's coming into flightclub in limo's with personal drivers buying **** with parents money. :smh:

tbh most kids under 18 buy shoes with their parents money

and thats probably more than half the sneaker collector community :lol:

Yep.

But most pairs prices like that aren't selling, and definitely aren't worth that much.
and the scary thing about Ebay is that those pairs could be grey market kicks.    
mean.gif

{IMO} If you buy what you like no...If you're chasing the latest hot trend then yes
mean.gif

{IMO} If you buy what you like no...If you're chasing the latest hot trend then yes:smh:

Only problem with that is most people can no longer afford what they like. I like the black Yeezy 2, the black toe 1's, and the LeBron X elite but I know it will never happen.

Its always been like this, yall act like **** was cheap back in the day it was always expensive. The hypebeast culture showed up around 04 05 and has been here every since. For fact I was heaviest into collecting when I was living with my parents, but when I moved out at 21 its slowed down, which I'm sure for alot of older NTers its been that way. No one has ruined anything. As far back as I remember If didn't know people who worked at the spots (Goods before in closed in Seattle) It be hard to get my size, but you found a way. If I couldn't get it release day, I just trade. The one thing I do think changed is the sheer abundance of releases. There is always something coming out and the prices are outrageous. I would say when I started around 02-03 I spent more time grabbing what I like (If it wasn't dunks or Air Max's I wasn't having it) doesn't matter if it was general releases or spcieals I just wanted whatever colorway I could get.

Now more people are into it yeah, but that was to be expected. But if you think its fad you are sorely mistaken for me its been getting more and more popular steadily for the past 10+ years so why would it slow down now. Kids always wanted the best sneakers, since back in the day what happened is the makers and designers caught on and started creating the supply and manufacturing the demand.

The only thing that pissed me off when I was heavy into it ( 02-09) was people purposely buying pairs outside their size just to resell. But again I came accept, and through due diligence I would get ahold of my pair in time. Hell I had some crazy dream to own all the first series SBs :lol:

Back
Top Bottom