Has collecting/buying sneakers turned into a rich person hobby?

Its hurt the people who have been around for a while who were buying pe's when prices were way lower and it wasnt the "cool" thing to do

it has always been a rich mans hobbie. where u been?
to answer this one and the one above me. yes sneakers have always been expensive. however we were only getting like 4 major releases a year around 07 and earlier.. now its damn near 4 releases a MONTH. plus not only are their the retro jordans, lebrons, kobes and foams are also popular too. and they seem to release weekly also. its just gotten absurd to keep up with. plus the prices KEEP going up. lebrons are 250. Foams have gone up $20 each year the past 2 years.

I have one more to get that i passed up in college then i can call it quits for good..but i know the columbias and leather bred 12s might call me back in , but nothing else. I'm over it. its now nothing but these 90s babys who never saw the man play and just want the "newest js". smh

Last edited:
Only reason I'm wearin foams today is cuz it's raining. They good for rain. I don't even like foams anymore they bastardize them more than rappers have the Jesus piece.

Umm da first cats i knew who had multiple kicks

Were drug dealers...so yea..
No. Nobody was buying 5-6 pairs of the same shoe back then. Today people are buying 3 releases a week, 235 foams once a month, Jordan's every other week. Nowhere near what is was before.

If a dude back in the day bought all the Jordan release for the year........ He'd have about 6 pairs max......That's it

Last edited:
people are afraid to even wear the kicks the buy these days; it's sad

when I buy a pair of kicks they usually go on instantly and I wear my shoes

the one thing that has had me cut down on buying besides the absurd prices is working a 9-5 out of college; I don't have time to stroll around campus in whatever I choose to wear

Bought a pair of new balance 574's for 65 bucks. Joints are more comfortable than all the nikes and jordans in my closet.

I'm done buying these overpriced pieces of ****.

Welcome to the club. It's the way to go nowadays. I remember when I officially stopped in '08....it wasn't because of the prices so much as it got to a point where I was like "WTF do I need almost 200 pairs for?"

I got out at the right time though because the cost of these sneakers nowadays is :x.

I copped some asics and some sebago boat shoes on that old man steez and i'm gravy.

Last pair of sneakers I bought were the gato streets. Only reason I would buy some sneakers nowadays is if the griffey gd 3/4 highs came back out (I really don't know why nike has never retro'd these....you can hardly find a pic of them online) or they were on sale/under $70.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. It's the way to go nowadays. I remember when I officially stopped in '08....it wasn't because of the prices so much as it got to a point where I was like "WTF do I need almost 200 pairs for?"

I got out at the right time though because the cost of these sneakers nowadays is :x.

I copped some asics and some sebago boat shoes on that old man steez and i'm gravy.

Last pair of sneakers I bought were the gato streets. Only reason I would buy some sneakers nowadays is if the griffey gd 3/4 highs came back out (I really don't know why nike has never retro'd these....you can hardly find a pic of them online) or they were on sale/under $70.
Yes! If a shoe isn't so comfortable I don't want to take them off I won't spend a penny on them. No more will I kill myself over long days in uncomfortable overpriced garbage Jordan's or anything else of the sort.

Last edited:
I've never actually seen anyone wear Gel Lytes or New Balances here. Ever.

The reason you probably don't see people wearing stuff like that is they are not usually the kids who hang at the mall.

Its still like that

we got a shop down here in Dallas called

DK footwear and casual

all their releases go for a extra $50 plus $100 on an outfit just

to get some damn shoes and the D-boys have no problem with that(still a sucka no matter how much disposable income you have)

its just cut and dry with them 

for example: when the 11's came out this past December they were trying to charge my niece $200 plus a $50 purchase

mind you that she is in kids sizes so it was $124 regular price 
mean.gif

and im sitting there like damn how do they expect this kids with no type of job to just shell out that money
i personally know some cats that buy stuff from them every release but then have the audacity to complain about how

unfair it is when they are in fact their number one customer 
mean.gif

thats another eason why I have no problem with these restocks

(by the way had no problem getting her 11's online ill be damn if i pay extra for that ****)

Last edited:
When I stopped working at a place that gave me access and a discount I stopped copping.

I can't pay retail for anything especially some damn $200 shoes I can't wear to work or when i go out.

instagram rruined everything...its the same with high end shoes also. I gave up because I don't like to wait in line or have to go out of my way to buy something. I also don't like to pay over retail regardless if I have disposable income or not. Back then I can walk into barneys buy red bottoms on a tuesday afternoon..now i have to buy the damn things the day they receive shipment. eff that.

No. Nobody was buying 5-6 pairs of the same shoe back then. Today people are buying 3 releases a week, 235 foams once a month, Jordan's every other week. Nowhere near what is was before.

If a dude back in the day bought all the Jordan release for the year........ He'd have about 6 pairs max......That's it

you'd be wrong because back then retros didn't exist for anything other then air force I's..so if you wanted a sneaker if you didn't buy multiple pairs of it

when they dropped you'd never see em again.

hence da term "one to rock, one to stock"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom