has SouthWest airlines raised their rates?

whats up nt,

i usually only fly southwest because of their very cheap rates, but lately, i have noticed that there are no more of the $99 flight specials.
i was able to fly from providence, ri to san diego for $299 roundtrip in 2008. providence to chicago in july 2009 for $198, and now flights from providence to chicago one way are like $153.
did they eliminate the $99 special?

That's not cheap anyways. You can get those rates on priceline.com with better airlines, who won't make you have to do 4 connecting flights and especially if you use the name your own price option.

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

whats up nt,

i usually only fly southwest because of their very cheap rates, but lately, i have noticed that there are no more of the $99 flight specials.
i was able to fly from providence, ri to san diego for $299 roundtrip in 2008. providence to chicago in july 2009 for $198, and now flights from providence to chicago one way are like $153.
Yes, and it's no surprise.  LUVs fuel hedges have started expiring at a pretty quick rate, and crude prices have been churning up. 

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

That's not cheap anyways. You can get those rates on priceline.com with better airlines, who won't make you have to do 4 connecting flights and especially if you use the name your own price option.

thanks for the input.
can you explain more of the name your own price option?
obviously i know what it means, but ive never used it, how does it work?
going to look into it right now though.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

whats up nt,

Yes, and it's no surprise.  LUVs fuel hedges have started expiring at a pretty quick rate, and crude prices have been churning up.  

good point about the oil hedges. didn't even think of that. thanks.

Certain airlines have raised prices while others are charging more fees and/or eliminating certain things. I think it was Spirit Air that's gonna start charging even for carry-on bags. JetBlue doesn't even charge for the 1st checked bag, just booked a flight with them.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

thanks for the input.
can you explain more of the name your own price option?
obviously i know what it means, but ive never used it, how does it work?
going to look into it right now though.
You just have to be pretty open as far as what time you can leae on your leave day and what time you can return on the day you return, because you put your cc# in first and if it finds something that qualifies, it books it. It's guaranteed your flight will be 0 or 1 stop, so they're not going to have you on a bunch of connections. And it's easy to tell what flight you are going to get. Search your leave/return date and cities, and the most common flight time that keeps coming up (if it's cross country, generally leaving sometime in the morning) is more than likely the one you'll get. Whatever price comes up, start your bid at 33% I flew to NYC from OKC on Labor Day weekend for 200$ bid accepted on the first try (had me mad because I should've started lower) when they had prices jacked up to 700$ for that trip on on delta.com the exact flights I took where over 1000$ (don't know why but they were).

You can also do it for hotels (it gives you more options, like it breaks the city down into zones and lets you pick the zone you want on a map i.e I got a Long Island City Queens Marriott for 40$ a night that same trip, 210$ walk in price) and even rental cars. I booked a car, IN NEW YORK, for 12$ a day.

Hotwire gives you a similar option too on hotels where it gives you the star level and approximate location but doesn't tell you the name.

Back
Top Bottom