Has the Jordan hype gone down?

Discussion in 'Jordan Brand' started by mj 23, Nov 28, 2015.

1. mj 23

mj 23

I've noticed these past couple of months that an average retro will go for minimal profit above retail.

For example the bordos and Aqua 8s (which released today) both considered holy grails for many sneaker heads, can be had for slightly above retail. Is it for the fact that people are tired of buying the same old shoe over and over again? Or have hype beasts found a new fad to follow?

I understand, that there will always be hype for Jordan Collaborations with popular street wear brands and rappers.

But it still taints me to ask, has the HYPE gone down for retros?

I personally love this, because it lets the people who truly love the sneakers to buy them.

What are your thoughts?

2. bigj505

bigj505 Administrator Staff Member

It's because of a few things.
    JB is flooding the market. We get at least 1 "hot" shoe every weekend it seems. Consumers can't keep up.
    A lot of the "new" sneaker heads started to chill out because of the above. They aren't about that life.
    Because of the flooding and the new price points, it's hard to keep up. A lot of people just say they want to focus on the most limited stuff. Think quality over quantity.
    Quantity - JB is super producing many of these releases. It takes away from the mystique that casual buyers want. They get turned off when they buy a shoe that everyone else can just walk into the store and get all willy nilly. For $190, they want to be exclusive.

Also, the Bordeaux and the aqua 8s didn't kill it in sales when the dropped last time either. It's come full circle.

3. swaggdaddy

swaggdaddy

Slowed all the way down. Nothing is unique or exclusive no more! Every week a new pair of j's... the game wayyy oversaturated now!

4. bigsykedaddy

bigsykedaddy

^ All of this.

I love the fact it's easier to get the shoes I love.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    da45 and mantis toboggan like this.
  5. jordan4eva23

jordan4eva23

I wasn't even to cop the Chicago 1s, even after all those restocks

6. airdhazzal

airdhazzal

Fads die.

Retro Jordan's are lame.

7. anthracite8s

anthracite8s

like other people said, there are many factors. a major reason imo is the stupid price. JB is damn near fetching at retail what resellers did during the peak of the sneaker hype. Not everyone is willing to pay resale price.

8. kingjay718

kingjay718

I love it. Saturation is great. I love seeing a reseller returning his bulk buys because he can't move them. Gives real fan of the sneaker and the brand a shot at buying them.

9. sneakaprince

sneakaprince

Way too many colors way too many releases. Jb will prolly pull another 08 like move soon and cut regrow down to a minimum again in order to do a better refresh of the brand. Remastering was a start but they've def gotta see that flooding the market isn't working anymore.

Marketing wise it actually goes against what Nike has always been about for their legacy lines.

We gotta admit tho JB/Nike ate lavishly from about 2011-2015

10. bigj505

bigj505 Administrator Staff Member

It's still working tho. JB is still profiting more annually so we are a bit out before the laws of supply and demand kick in.

JB left a lot of money on the table by not having enough pairs. These stores sitting on pairs are the ones that will be hurting.

girlthatsblanco likes this.
  11. JACKFROSTY843

JACKFROSTY843 formerly blw843

It's bc instagram is getting old lololol

al audi and wavycrocket like this.
  12. bigsykedaddy

bigsykedaddy

[​IMG]

13. swanny

swanny

I don't mind there being plenty to go around. Not like we are seeing with aqua but if you put your time in you can secure your pair. Everyone wants a little slice of exclusivity.

Much of the hype has headed to the runner/ adidas side. That is where the resellers are headed for the yeezy releases. But the runners are saturated with collars every week. At some point it has to slow down. Personally I am much more selective with what I purchase than I once was.

14. Olympus

Olympus

On top of what Big J said, this ^

Jordan's been getting so whack to me and it's not even like I've hated everything released this year, but when you're a brand that's selling out week after week and people look to you for something that'll "set them apart" from the rest and make them feel special, once that product doesn't move like it used to, it's done. The hype at least, done. Price hikes every 6 months, year after year, and more releases by the month. You're forcing garbage colors at us at increased prices and expecting it to go smoothly because you're just that big, but there ARE other options. Jordan Brand looks mad desperate bombarding people with lots of color ways in shorter windows of time at increased prices. We can tell you know the bubble is gonna pop and you're just trying to cash and at the same time, your price range is getting outta hand so people give up and move on to something else. I've ben getting so into air maxes I've been wanting to sell some of my least favorite Jays because I could get my favorite color ways of other shoes, even with a discount, for the same price and also not fall into the oversaturated Jordan market.

15. wootonralph

wootonralph

My storage room can't keep up. Lolll

16. staffsgtdignam

staffsgtdignam

Let's be honest, even if JB is diminishing in popularity, they have a few secret weapons that they could utilze anytime-simply retroing OG BC3s, OG Bred 4s, OG BIR 6s, and Space Jam 11s in a somewhat limited run a la Chi 1s would bring immense hype back to the brand... They have enough classics to sustain themselves, however I do think they might price themselves out if they aren't careful-most of us would agree that a lot of the retro cws this year were not worth $190 (which is why many sat or went on discount). It's going to be funny to see how badly retro 2s sell next year at the $190 price point (especially when OG 2 cws sat in 2014 at ~$150).

17. Aquamanjay_

Aquamanjay_ formerly jaylaw15

Making things limited doesn't seem to work from my point of view. Making the most popular models limited only helps resellers not JB. OG models like the Bordeaux's, Chicago 10s, and soon to be the Aqua 8s don't sell out in minutes but they still sell eventually with a few months. By putting out less pairs, they'll end up making less money regardless. Plus people will stop buying even the most popular colorways if they keep coming out again and again. It happened the grape 5s, and will def happen if they release keep releasing things over and over.

You can't help it if people lose interest in something, it's inevitable with almost any business. Nothing lasts forever

justin747 likes this.
  18. tay1

tay1

They just aren't worth the pricetag. $160 was pushing it as is. Once they went past that, I  just stopped giving a ****. I just want those all black 12's next year and hope they release dmp 6's again.

19. hot route

hot route Banned

You're not the only one that's realizing it.

20. Ingenious Bastard

Ingenious Bastard formerly ingenious nick

Yep. The price hikes, something different coming out every week, a lot more restocks. And alot of these new colorways are TRASH, I've been shocked to see some of these OG colorways sitting as well.