Has the Jordan hype gone down?

You gotta be a real shoe lover to cop them ugly *** maroons.

Last edited:
And this would be heaven for me. I enjoy walking into a store on a random Tuesday afternoon and buying whatever off the shelf with no problems.
The more shoes sit on shelves the better it is for me. I don't care about the "mystique." With that said, go ahead JB, flood the market and produce half a million White Cement 4s. I wanna see them sitting on shelves and I walk into Foot Locker afternoon of release to find out they still have a full size run. I know the NT RESELLERS would hate it but I don't care.
*FIXED* and well said.

Aqua's were def selling for $350-400, I know because I traced their value from 2009-2012 before giving up and deciding to wait till the next time they came out.

This just how jordans get when they get rare. They were selling for retail or below for a min before prices spiked. Bordeaux had the same pattern as well as the toro 5, varsity red 6, 09 space jams, etc

My thing is GR's are GR's. I don't understand why people are surprised that a GR is readily available. Black/Red 11's from 2012 sat and were available at every corner for about 6 months so it's not an OG colorway sitting that has you guys talking crazy.

It's all a circle jerk. Maroon 6's are gonna be an instant sell out then we're all back to talking about how unfair the sneaker game is. Why can't we enjoy the fact that one of the greatest sneakers of all time was not hard to come by? If you truly loved the aqua 8's before the hype than yesterday was a blessing. I know I was beyond elated I didn't have to go through hoops to get my pair. Very refreshing...

My thing is GR's are GR's. I don't understand why people are surprised that a GR is readily available. Black/Red 11's from 2012 sat and were available at every corner for about 6 months so it's not an OG colorway sitting that has you guys talking crazy.

It's all a circle jerk. Maroon 6's are gonna be an instant sell out then we're all back to talking about how unfair the sneaker game is. Why can't we enjoy the fact that one of the greatest sneakers of all time was not hard to come by? If you truly loved the aqua 8's before the hype than yesterday was a blessing. I know I was beyond elated I didn't have to go through hoops to get my pair. Very refreshing...

Wrong

Breds did not sit. Especially around my district while I was a GM and we had 256 pairs in my store

Well in my case I'm 35 and prefer to buy things I will acually use. I have Js just sitting in my basement collecting dust brand new. So I haven't bought jays since the concord lows came out. And today's retro price is crazy. 160 is my limit if I where to buy any more. Just my 2 cents. :nerd:

I have been buying J's forever and have seen peaks and Valley's in popularity . I doubt we will ever see Concord type hype again which carried the surge for quite some time . The biggest difference is the box price now for another huge surge to take place and have it last very long with the price point where it is and 3-4 retro's a month is very unlikely . The recent Black Friday Kyrie was decent and with a lower price point sold out . I think we should have remastered at $170 and not another $20 to $50 price jump .

Last edited:
Black/Red 11's from 2012 sat and were available at every corner for about 6 months........ you talking crazy fam Bred 11s flew like crazy everyone and they moms was rocking them. Those weren't still in stores June 2013. More like restocked six times.

Last edited:
2012 black red XIs had an actual 2nd release which was in March. Guys have to get your facts straight.

Well in my case I'm 35 and prefer to buy things I will acually use. I have Js just sitting in my basement collecting dust brand new. So I haven't bought jays since the concord lows came out. And today's retro price is crazy. 160 is my limit if I where to buy any more. Just my 2 cents. :nerd:
You sound like one of those future bulk collection sellers to RIF or SS :rolleyes. You want a cookie for collecting dust?

2012 black red XIs had an actual 2nd release which was in March. Guys have to get your facts straight.
You talking about the Nike cinco de mayo restock with the Concord Highs and Bred 11s

Naw it wasn't a restock. It was literally a rerelease. Stores got them both online and local. That really killed the resale of those XIs tho it has gone back up. Not a restock. A full release.

It's because of a few things.
JB is flooding the market. We get at least 1 "hot" shoe every weekend it seems. Consumers can't keep up.
A lot of the "new" sneaker heads started to chill out because of the above. They aren't about that life.
Because of the flooding and the new price points, it's hard to keep up. A lot of people just say they want to focus on the most limited stuff. Think quality over quantity.
Quantity - JB is super producing many of these releases. It takes away from the mystique that casual buyers want. They get turned off when they buy a shoe that everyone else can just walk into the store and get all willy nilly. For $190, they want to be exclusive.

Also, the Bordeaux and the aqua 8s didn't kill it in sales when the dropped last time either. It's come full circle.

Would add that there is some new competition in the high end market that retro Jordan's occupy which is primarily the Yeezy at the moment along with Nike's other premier players like Lebron, KD, Kyrie, and Kobe (although pains me to list Kobe there since he's a shell of what he once was).

No he's talking about a second release on every site

not just on every site but in-store also. it was a planned release. March 2013.

That hyped may restock.... we all remember that clown and his sources :lol:

Naw it wasn't a restock. It was literally a rerelease. Stores got them both online and local. That really killed the resale of those XIs tho it has gone back up. Not a restock. A full release.
Oh I remember now and another odd Sunday morning release with bred 11s and tuxedo lows

It's because of a few things.
JB is flooding the market. We get at least 1 "hot" shoe every weekend it seems. Consumers can't keep up.
A lot of the "new" sneaker heads started to chill out because of the above. They aren't about that life.
Because of the flooding and the new price points, it's hard to keep up. A lot of people just say they want to focus on the most limited stuff. Think quality over quantity.
Quantity - JB is super producing many of these releases. It takes away from the mystique that casual buyers want. They get turned off when they buy a shoe that everyone else can just walk into the store and get all willy nilly. For $190, they want to be exclusive.

Also, the Bordeaux and the aqua 8s didn't kill it in sales when the dropped last time either. It's come full circle.

Would add that there is some new competition in the high end market that retro Jordan's occupy which is primarily the Yeezy at the moment along with Nike's other premier players like Lebron, KD, Kyrie, and Kobe (although pains me to list Kobe there since he's a shell of what he once was).

none of what you mentioned matters to be honest.
Adidas doesn't release enough Yeezys to really steal too much thunder from nike. Those yeezy guys fall under the "quality" over quantity category or even the exclusive ones. If Yeezys would drop in the 500K numbers the way some of these retros drop then they would lose their appeal.

The kobe, KD, and lebron lines have been suffering lately also. We just wait for those to go on sale for the most part.

Kyrie is killing because his shoes filled the void that the Kobe and the KD left when they got the significant price hikes. That line will fall off too once it gets to the special $165-200 price point that Nike will try and get them to.

Higher retail on GRs equals less resellers depending on the sneaker

Kids idolizing Curry along with kids thinking jordans aren't hot or the trend like how it was around the Concord 11 2011 era

Over saturating the market with release after release after release week after week after week with that 190 plus price tag. Consumers, the kids moms, and resellers are all feeling the affects

JB's frequent price increases have driven many JB supporters away. A lot of people just can't afford to spend 190 w/o tax, $208 for me total. I paid $97 for the Aquas's in 07, this past Friday I spent $208. That's insane

Hype overall is down, but Nike has too many aces up their sleeves to fall off completely.  If they get desperate they can just do another collab with a Supreme logo slapped on it and they are back.  Seems that resellers are going for limited releases only now instead of buying up every single release that comes out.

JB's frequent price increases have driven many JB supporters away. A lot of people just can't afford to spend 190 w/o tax, $208 for me total. I paid $97 for the Aquas's in 07, this past Friday I spent $208. That's insane

You paid because you waited. You could do the same this this release of you play your cards right :lol:

Definitely not a knee jerk reaction. Pay attention to the bigger picture and you'll understand.
Chicago 1's sold out, UNC 1's sold out, laney 14's sold out, even wack chrome 6 lows sold out. Conclusion have been jumped to hard and it's because many people who purchased aquas are having buyers remorse because the shoe they just craved over for months wasn't an instant sell out. Everyone wants to be exclusive :lol: none of the Black Friday sneakers since '09 ever instantly sold out. I bought BC3's the second week of Dec back in 2011 from footaction....look at the resell price for them now.

2015 aquas will be the same way. 400+ resell this time next year

I don't think the issue is around the releases you mentioned but rather the last 4-5. Those haven't sold out and may represent a trend, and since these are the most recent releases people are talking about it. The holiday timing adds a bit to it since most people would stretch a bit more than normal. If anything I'd expect a fall off in the new year but not now.

I'm most likely in the minority, I buy what I like, don't care what other people are buying, and haven't resold anything in years. My comments have nothing to do with the VIIIs just released. I bought and I'm happy with them. This is one of my childhood kicks, so been acting awhile for these to come back out.

Last edited:
Hype overall is down, but Nike has too many aces up their sleeves to fall off completely.  If they get desperate they can just do another collab with a Supreme logo slapped on it and they are back.  Seems that resellers are going for limited releases only now instead of buying up every single release that comes out.

^^^ what he said

Back
Top Bottom