Have Any of you applied to a job off Craigslist?

So far Im batting a .000 with replies back. i don't know what I'm doing wrong, I always do as they ask and send a resume or call and ask about the position. Im just hesitant to be putting all of my information in the resume. I only put my name and phone number.

Do you guys have any experience with this? i just need any kind of job to get me through the summer while i finish up my degree.

also do any of you know how to properly put together a COVER LETTER? it seems like a lot of them ask for this.

Last edited:
got my current job from craigslist after applying to 5 others over the spring/summer. make sure the ones you apply to actually have an email that sends your resume directly to them and not just to the craigslist email. also call them if they have their phone/fax number on the ad itself

google cover letter sample and go from there

Last edited:
I did all the time. Nothing ever came of it. I just assumed it was because that lots of people go to Craigslist and maybe they don't have time to filter through them all but that might just be me being naive.

The only reason I even bothered doing it was because a NTer mentioned in a thread that he got a job off of Craigslist.

I always submit a cover letter with a resume, always.

Last edited:
So far Im batting a .000 with replies back. i don't know what I'm doing wrong, I always do as they ask and send a resume or call and ask about the position. Im just hesitant to be putting all of my information in the resume. I only put my name and phone number.

Do you guys have any experience with this? i just need any kind of job to get me through the summer while i finish up my degree.

also do any of you know how to properly put together a COVER LETTER? it seems like a lot of them ask for this.
Cover letter is your selling point for the job. Why do you want the job? why do you want this job specifically over another similar job? Why are you suited for this job? Why are you a good fit?

People usually do research on the company and write how their own values match the companies'. From my experience, I would recommend a cover letter.

I both got my last 9-5 (public defender office clerk) on Craigslist and get some of my freelance work now from there. It's a legit place to find income, but you do have to sift through a lot of ********.

PLEASE make a complete resume. That's one thing you do need...simple contact info won't cut it. They want to know they're getting a person who has a somewhat normal life.

A cover letter basically says "Hi, I'm AJ, and I can form coherent English sentences. I am interested in this job because I need to pay the bills it is a natural fit for me and I want to challenge myself while advancing my career. I have these skills and this experience, or at least I'm going to tell you I do. I hope to hear from you, and certainly have not copied and pasted this 50 times.

Thanks for your time,

AJ"

Keep spraying those applications out by the clip, homie...eventually, you'll hit something. It's all about getting that interview. Once you do that, just find out what they want to hear, let them hear it, and you should be golden.

Good luck, homie.

Last edited:
i see, so i should basically how my experience would benefit them or how i meet the qualifications?

do your cover letters have the address of the place also? some format i saw seemed like it was doing too much, had the places address on the letter too.

Yes. Big companies use tge site as well. Interviewed with Bleacher Report after applying via the site.

When I was trying to be an actor in L.A. They had me send my head shot & a couple of body shots oiled up. At the audition it was basically an office with a black couch. I was sitting there and the lady was asking me if I was comfortable taking off my clothes. "Sure" after that she recorded me smashing her in different positions. I went to 4-5 these auditions but never got a callback to be the principle actor.

I've gotten jobs off CL before but a lot of the postings seem real sketch. I've had good luck with brand ambassador jobs, you basically hand out samples to people in grocery stores, but they've all paid $15+/hr and beat my old retail jobs.

A lot of pyramid scheme type "marketing" positions on there too. I showed up for an interview once and they told us to get in some dudes car to go do a day in the field i.e. door to door sales...I took off but everyone else actually fell for it :smh:. If you do get calls, make sure you do your research on the company to see if its legit or something sketchy.

As far as cover letters go, show them that you've done some research on their company and talk about how your skills and experience are relevant to the jobs requirements. Tailor each cover letter specifically to the company - I have a ton of friends who use generic nes and just change the company name, and then they wonder why they never hear back.

Got my current job off cl...

Get to drink beer and :smokin
I'd only reply to ads with phone numbers/address or email

yes i got my curreent job from craigslist but heres an interssting story. im lookin for a new job so i see a post for a guy who needs help setting up his art exhibit at various shows and galleries so im like aiite lemme contact him.

he replies and tells me bout the job then he sends me an enail saying he needs me to buy some things and send them to phillipines and he sends me a 1900 check the next day. at this point ino hes a scammer so i just tell him in an email that i understand what hes doing and keep the check as a reminder to not fall for scams

i've gotten interviews for paralegal positions off craigslist but haven't landed any 
frown.gif

My current job is from CL.

When I was looking for a job last year I applied to hundreds of position, it's pretty much sheer luck. I would go days or weeks without ANY replies or calls. Sometimes I would get an interview, and not a call back after, or a call back that the position was given to somebody else. Occasionally you will get the fake ads, and it sucks, but you just gotta look pass it, it happens, move on. One thing I alway asked right after the interviews is,

"I'm curious, how many people applied for the position?"

Hundreds of people apply for it was a pretty common answer. At my current job, the HR told me over 150, and she narrowed it down to 3, and obviously down to 1, me, :lol:.

Far as my personal info, the only thing I have in my resume is my cell number and home address, the rest is the basic resume info, IE: school, degree, past jobs, academic awards, skills etc.

Depending on the position I might also attach my cover letter, my current job I did, it helped win me over the other applicants the HR said, "It was well written, not too long, and was straight to the point, I felt you could offer the most to our company".

Good luck Mex, keep at it, you will land something, its gonna take A LOT of patient, perseverance and most of all... a positive attitude. Lord knows I needed all 3 when looking through CL.

Last edited:
My last corporate job was on craigslist.

The email should be your cover letter.

Been using craiglist for jobs since 04 almost any job I've had has come from there. The trick is being on it 24/7 checking posting, usually its first come first serve with the listings as they usually call back the first people who send in. Also it depends on what type of job you're looking for, so positions are in demand and have a wide base of qualified people so it would make sense its hard to get a callback. Hell is the job pays good and sounds solid from the listing everyone is gonna apply.

When I was in college looking for parttime work I would apply to so many a day I would get confused on who was calling for a interview.

My last job was through Craiglist and it was a pretty indemand job I kinda surprised it was on CL to be honest. Nowadays companies are using everything

Last edited:
Got one job through craiglist. It works, just gotta go through and find the legit ones. Lot of people apply, so resume and cover letter are important for you to stand out.

I've applied to teaching jobs on there and gotten responses (some of the schools chose not to use the "official" department of education website to post jobs, but instead put listings on craigslist instead).

If I were you, I would put a cover letter and make it as specific as possible to the job (however, some postings are so vague that you have no choice but to put a more generic cover letter). Apply as soon as possible after the job is posted because they can get flooded with applicants in the first few hours and then stop accepting them, and if you have a specific skill/certification you stand a better chance, so even if a lot of people apply they will get weeded out immediately because they don't meet basic qualifications.

Back
Top Bottom