Have You Ever Made a Huge Career Change?

Morning NT,

I come to you with a question, asking for experience stories and what not.

I'll be turning 25 next month and I've just made what seems like, the first life altering decision of my short existence.

I went to school and graduated with a Journalism degree. My goal was (still is) to work in sports media. I had a offer out of college to go to New Orleans and work for their radio station, but for less then $30,000 that they were offering it made no sense financially to leave NY. I took a job as a board/op producer with a local drive time show in NYC and said it was going to be my foot in the door to somewhere else. Eventually I started to get sick of it, there was no room to grow, they wouldn't make me full time although I was working 36 hrs a week. I didn't have enough to qualify for benefits and all that, obviously done on purpose. As I started to look for other jobs, in the sports field in NY, I came up empty. I've been at the position for over 2.5 years and a week ago I gave my 2 weeks notice, the upcoming Thursday will be my last day.

I did this because, through my mother, I was able to land an admissions director position at a few nursing homes she works for. She's in charge of finances for 9 nursing homes and does very well for herself nad has been able to support 2 kids, put them through college, both without our fathers helping.

It's a position that I am not familiar with, except when I met with the boss who knew my mother, he explained the position in a way as it's being able to be compassionate with people, sell them on why coming to nursing home A over nursing home B is better and just in general be able to talk to them. I was thoroughly intrigued. I've always been able to talk to people and I'm a quick learner. Plus It's full time, benefits, and I'd be essentially tripling my pay thus allowing me to finally move out and get my life going.

On one hand I'm excited to have this opportunity, on the other I feel like I'm giving up on my dreams.

Has anyone else radically changed their professions at a relatively young age...were you successful? do you regret it?

Just wanted to vent / share...have a good weekend folks

Kind of in the same situation venom.

I graduated in 2010 with a business degree and was able to land a job as a fx trader right after graduation due to internships at same company in 4th year. Within a year and a half had to relocate to another country because company got bought out. No biggie I thought so I moved. Things started to change, obviously, but also I just didn't seem to have good communication with new management. Over time started looking at other opportunities and found one. In mid-June of 2012 I started a new job with a hedge fund. However, within 6 months the firms principals slashed the fund by 50% and I was let go. Now I am back in university at age of 24 completing a double major in computer science and math. I am excited for the new opportunities that an expanded education can bring but I feel like I have to start from ground up again.

in short, what I've learned is to make sure you make an informed decision and not a rash one. Be comfortable with both scenarios of succeeding and failing ie. have a backup to a backup.

My problem is accepting that I failed and mustering up the strength and determination to face this new challenge.

Wish you the best of luck my man.

Last edited:
Good luck to you man. I wish you nothing but the best.
You're young, you sound like you have your head on straight and from your story, I'm guessing no family, i.e. kids.
Do it now. Jump on it. Be the best goddamn admissions director you can be. Enjoy the extra cash.
Doesn't mean you have to give up on your dream.
It may sound silly and simple but if you are interested in sports media, start a blog. In your spare time, write about what you love, sports. Promote it through social media. If you are good, you'll get noticed.

-J-

If you're going to make a career change, this is the prime age to do it. The longer you wait, the more difficult it gets. There are too many people out there who get stuck in a level of complacency with no desire to do better. What's good for you is that you were smart enough to realize that your old job was a dead-end and some sort of a change was needed. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Youre only 25. Take that job. Establish yourself financially but never lose hope of landing your dream job. As someone else said, Keep writing as a hobby and keep your eyes open for opportunities in your preferred field. You will be noticed.

I wish you well :smokin

Life is a big learning curve, my man. The average professional switches careers 4-5 times. If you feel it's the right thing to do...go in at full speed!

If you're going to make a career change, this is the prime age to do it. The longer you wait, the more difficult it gets. There are too many people out there who get stuck in a level of complacency with no desire to do better. What's good for you is that you were smart enough to realize that your old job was a dead-end and some sort of a change was needed. I wish you the best of luck.

WELL SAID

ALL OF THIS

complacency is SUCH a terrible word.

btw op i know 3 ppl with journalism degrees not working a job relating to their degree an they all make crap

ya better take that job an still go for your goals.

25 is the perfect age

Once you start getting into a career and move up the finance ranks; it becomes harder to switch just because in most cases you're gonna take an L on salary and most people are locked into their affordability means at that point

Complacency sucks man. I don't wanna be that guy in his 50s stuck in a role a guy with less than a year of experience could do, at the mercy of the job market. When you're compelled to make that move, do it, don't waste time wondering. You blink and its 5 years later, you're still there and the hunger dies down.

Last edited:
25 is the perfect age

Once you start getting into a career and move up the finance ranks; it becomes harder to switch just because in most cases you're gonna take an L on salary and most people are locked into their affordability means at that point

First. Good luck OP. I hope you find success and happiness in your new career.

Like others are saying, its good you did it now.

Ive been at my same company for 9 years now. I graduated with a business admin degree and originally went into a sales/management position. Hated it. After about a year, my then GF (now current wife) realizing how miserable I was, she persuaded me (by re-writing my email, pulling job listings, and submitting my resume for me) to look for something else. Thats how I found my current job in finance/leasing/lending. FFWD 9 years, and that complacency bug is finally starting to gnaw at me. To be honest, I kinda have no reason to be complaining since I have a good workplace environment, good management, full benefits, decent pay, etc... etc... but its just that unshakable feeling that of not challenging myself and being in a rut.

The problem is, I'm too chicken to make the jump to a different career path. The wife and I just had our first kid a few months ago. I gotta worry bout the mortgage, paying for a nanny, 529 plan, my own retirement, and every other expense that comes along with day to day living. I feel handcuffed by my finances. I cannot take a 50% (or more) paycut, which is probably what I would be looking at if I had to start over at an entry level position. I kinda regret not making the leap before my wife got pregnant. If that meant the two of us had to take a financial risk, so be it. But with my daughter here now, I dont want to jeopardize her potential future.

I don't have experience with this, but I hope it all works out.

You're not giving up on your dreams, just realizing that the current path you're on won't take you where you need to go. Make the change and don't look back, keep moving forward and you should be ok.

There's big money in that field OP. The demand for nursing homes are starting to increase due the the baby boomers finally getting to that age. Use your talents in people skills to your advantage. It might not be your field of interest, but just think of it as a tool that you can use to possibly get yourself in a situation that when the time comes, you can comfortably pursue your dreams yet still be financially stable. 

I think you made a great career move! Good luck OP!

I wake up everyday wishing I had a different job. 

Dont sell yourself short and go for it man.

I started in sales before I changed and went into financial aid; getting out of sales was the best thing I ever did

I could make a lot more money in sales but I'd rather be happy than making huge bonuses but hating my job

I was about your age OP; follow your instinct

Yep...from the education field to the IT field at age 25 (26 in December).

signed my W4 and I9 today.

Last day at my current job is Thursday, then going to the Poconos with my girl and friends for the weekend and starting the new job on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom