Have you stayed in a hostel?

Hostels seems like a great place to stay when you're either traveling alone or just with a couple people

Unlike hotels where you have your own private room. Did you ever have any security issues with your belongings because you're sharing a room with many other people in a hostel.

I know most have a locker. But say you're charging your phone & camera overnight.that'll probably have to happen outside of your locker. Was there any security issues in terms of having things stolen?

Other thing is unlike a hotel where you can check-out of your room, and leave your luggage with the reception /front desk. Is there generally that option at hostels? If not, you're limited to traveling as light as possible

I stayed in a hostel in Rome once.

It was actually really nice. One room..2 huge beds...nice view....very cheap.

But yea the baggage thing was mad sketchy.
They basically had a metal shed and everyone just threw their **** in there in a huge pile and then the guy would lock it up lol....obviously not valuables.
When i went to get my bag i had to rummage thru this mountain of bookbags/bags.

No security issues at all. Was pretty straight.

ive stayed in hostels numbers of times: Chile, Cancun, Iceland, London, Tokyo, Melbourne, and Brisbane.

most of the ones we went to would watch your bags if you arrived before check-in or post check-out.

never had a problem with any security issues. i always tried to find a bed near an outlet so i could sleep with my phone next to me.

i love the hostel experience, especially if you have a more social hostel. easy way to meet new people and have a good time.

Yes, many times. These days I can afford hotels, but I still book private rooms at hostels to meet new people when I'm traveling solo. It's a great way to make connections that you can meet up in the future.

For example, I made friends from London, Taipei, Seoul, etc. that hit me up when they're in the Bay Area, and of course I do the same when I'm in their cities.

Last edited:
Too many hotel deals to be had by using priceline name your own price. Would only do it for the experience if you just want to meet other people but as far as saving money vs a nice hotel thats not really the case.I haven't been abroad though so can't speak for that but I did do an AIRBNB once which ended up a shared living situation even though I booked the whole place to myself. This was in 09

Last edited:
How good are these hostel deals like $5 a night? Cuz like datznasty datznasty said you get some really good, cheap hotel deals if you shop around. I'd much prefer that for a good night's rest.

Even in NYC, granted technically I was in Queens, I got that Fairfield right down the street from the 33rd and Rawson (? iirc) Subway stop for $50 or the Hilton connected to Newark station for the same price. This was back in 09 when you thought you couldn't get anything in NYC under a bill.

The hostel shared space deals were still like $65 and were like in the YMCA or other seedy looking building with shared bathroom is the biggest deal even if you get over the shared living space, it's like 6 to a room, 12 to a room or whatever, and 1 bathroom. Completely impractical IMO like I said unless you just want to for the experience.

Was I was at that lady's house on 122nd in Harlem aka Comfort Stay NYC, I don't know how many rooms she had total or how many people it was but I made a point to get my *** up at 6am and had the bathroom to myself for as long as I needed.

IDK your budget but I think you can stay at a major chain hotel at least 2.5 stars anywhere again in the US anyways for $60

Last edited:
Shared bathrooms and rooms are a no-go for me. Hated that in college and not choosing to do that again.

Last edited:
Theres a youth hostel on Fairfax about a block away from Supreme. I stayed there 1 night.

Its only for Int'l travelers. I got to LA and started drinking heavily... Hotels/Motels were insanely priced. Showed tgem my passport and i stayed for $20. They had continental breakfast. And a bus that served free tacos & beer. By the time i got there I was so wasted I couldnt eem get on that bus lol

bruh i stayed at a hostel in london that was painted all black. the only building that color on the street. 

it was scary af and we didn't get in till late. if someone wanted to steal your stuff they could. 

but it ended up being dope af. we met a bunch of cool people and on the bottom floor was a little bar with a dj. 

we all smashed some hood rat london yams that weekend. 

but i wouldn't stay there again. lmao we got no sleep

why is "h o o d r a t"  censored?

Last edited:
Might be backpacking Thailand/Bali this May, heard hostels are the place to stay at in regards to meeting other younger ppl 

Domestically, i wouldn't go with hostels. But when you're traveling by yourself in say Europe. Hostels are great in general to meet other people doing the same thing as you are.

I've been reading that bed bugs are fairly prevalent. You could wake up with itchy spots all over your body

Nope, and after seeing

View media item 2348003

You can miss me with that

^^Funny that's the 1st thing people bring up.

I backpacked europe for 6 months , and stayed in hostels probably like 80% of the time. All different countries. Never had anything bad happen.

Hostels in Europe are fine, now if you're talking about Central/South America or Asia, be prepared for culture shock. But so far, I've been lucky. Have visited over 35 countries backpacking, and no serious bad experiences

I stayed at a hostel in Singapore where you had your own "pod", basically a bunk but with privacy. Drawers underneath the beds could be locked up, BYO lock though. I barely saw people when I was there though, I was only at the hostel to sleep or shower :lol: gotta make the most of my vacation

Edit: the place I stayed each pod had their own outlet, reading lamp, privacy curtain.

My friend put me on hostelworld.com I recommend it

Last edited:
Hostels >
They're cheap, they help you navigate through the city, you meet other travelers.
I love them. I usually take my own lock so I can put my stuff in the lockers

Might be backpacking Thailand/Bali this May, heard hostels are the place to stay at in regards to meeting other younger ppl 

It is.

SEA's hostel are very cheap. Just look up the reviews online and you'll find a great, safe and clean spot in no time.

If you're going during the off season and don't mind the risk, don't book the place online and just show up and bargain the price. You'd be surprised the deals you could get (especially if you are staying for 3-4 nights+).

It is.

SEA's hostel are very cheap. Just look up the reviews online and you'll find a great, safe and clean spot in no time.

If you're going during the off season and don't mind the risk, don't book the place online and just show up and bargain the price. You'd be surprised the deals you could get (especially if you are staying for 3-4 nights+).
Yeah also heard this, Air B & B's are dirt cheap there as well, ocean front homes with pools are like $100 CAD a night, im going with three others so 25 each isnt bad at all

foamtothedome foamtothedome yeah airbnb are cheap too. I rented a 3 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms + a pool in Bali.

We were 7 and spent like 7-8$ CAD each a night.

Wasn't beach front but a short scooter ride would get us there.

You can definitly find gems out there :pimp:

Hostels seems like a great place to stay when you're either traveling alone or just with a couple people

Unlike hotels where you have your own private room. Did you ever have any security issues with your belongings because you're sharing a room with many other people in a hostel.

I know most have a locker. But say you're charging your phone & camera overnight.that'll probably have to happen outside of your locker. Was there any security issues in terms of having things stolen?

Other thing is unlike a hotel where you can check-out of your room, and leave your luggage with the reception /front desk. Is there generally that option at hostels? If not, you're limited to traveling as light as possible

there are hostels where you can have your own room. i left my charger there with no problem. my thing was sleeping near my belonging when i arrived at night so that no one could just take it. overall, hostels are good because you get meet people. at least thats how it was in europe.

Stayed in one when I went to Toronto during college. Me and my boys got a quad. I prefer having my own hotel room but it was definitely nice for meeting people. Any girl I'm messing with now definitely wouldn't be about that hostel life.

there are hostels where you can have your own room. i left my charger there with no problem. my thing was sleeping near my belonging when i arrived at night so that no one could just take it. overall, hostels are good because you get meet people. at least thats how it was in europe.
I paid $120 total for 5 days in a private room with a private bath at a nice hostel in Taipei. The room was really small, but at the end of the day I was only in the room to knock out and shower in, and staying at a hotel would've cost hundreds more. I'd rather use those hundreds for another trip.

And yea, I met so many people, especially during the various tours and pub crawls the hostel pointed me to.

Last edited:
I paid $120 total for 5 days in a private room with a private bath at a nice hostel in Taipei. The room was really small, but at the end of the day I was only in the room to knock out and shower in, and staying at a hotel would've cost hundreds more. I'd rather use those hundreds for another trip.

And yea, I met so many people, especially during the various tours and pub crawls the hostel pointed me to.

same here. i paid 80 bucks for 4 nights in barcelona. it was not private, but for the most part i was only there during the morning and at night. just a place to leave my stuff secured. one thing i suggest is to bring a locker and towel if you have enough. the hostels charge a deposit for both at times if you don't have either.

Back
Top Bottom