HBO Documentary: San Francisco 2.0

Yeah, man, that city was lit in the 90s. Now it's homogeneous and sterile. Last time I was walking in the Mission I saw a group of nerds with Tecate beer in hand swinging at a pinata in front of an old Victorian home. Thought I was dreaming or something.

San Francisco has always been hella EXPENSIVE to live in.

Heck that's going back to the 80's. Housing median back then was in the 500k range at least. Now today houses in what was considered the bad areas and Ghetto's are being redeveloped aren't affordable to even middle class people.

Heck I went up to SF for a quick weekend trip this past March and spent a grip alone on just my Airbnb room I stayed at and food & gas.

I have a friend that works for EMC and he finally was able to afford and not get outbid on a 30 year old house in South SF.

Before that him and his family lived in an apartment in San Bruno for like 10 years.

Last edited:
I literally drove to Hunters Point 2 weeks ago to see the gentrification there and didn't believe it until I saw it. They are building $600-700k condos there which is still a budget price considering what you have to pay for downtown.

The whole Bay Area is really just effed up. It's to the point where nothing makes sense no more. I want to own a place but even with the income that me and my girl make, we just can't afford anything in SF at all. And outside of the city is no better. Pricing is sort of the same where ever you go but you just get more space. Even crap areas like Richmond are selling houses for $600k for spots in the really sketch areas. I literally am learning to hate it out here.

You live in the city? What Part?

I live in the city and could go on and on and on about this.....The Homogenization of SF culture is sickening   
mean.gif

Bubbles work in cycles, San Francisco will be back but I'll be long gone out of the city by then...

It really is depressing. Music venues are closing and the view across the Bay is disappearing with all the new high rises being built. I've only been here since 2009 and I've seen a lot change. I used to like going to the Mission because at least hipsters were tolerable and stuck to themselves. Now the tech bros are out and about being obnoxious as hell. They used to only be prevalent in the Marina but they're everywhere now. I pray they don't come to the Sunset.

I'm surprised this didn't show up in the doc:

Last edited:
I live in The Fillmore area. I am not a native of SF but have been out here for almost 9 years now. I lived in Twin Peaks first in a 2 bedroom for $1400 a month. Now i live in a super small studio for about $1100 but I have rent control and it hasn't gone up at all. I want to move because I need more space but everything is just so expensive where i have to hold onto my place till it gets cheaper. I think my studios now go for $1700.

These are the new condos in Hunters Point. 1 bedroom goes for $550k for 600 square foot condo. Mind you this is in probably one of the worst places in SF:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...3,37.697811,-122.459364_rect/12_zm/?3col=true

I literally drove to Hunters Point 2 weeks ago to see the gentrification there and didn't believe it until I saw it. They are building $600-700k condos there which is still a budget price considering what you have to pay for downtown.

The whole Bay Area is really just effed up. It's to the point where nothing makes sense no more. I want to own a place but even with the income that me and my girl make, we just can't afford anything in SF at all. And outside of the city is no better. Pricing is sort of the same where ever you go but you just get more space. Even crap areas like Richmond are selling houses for $600k for spots in the really sketch areas. I literally am learning to hate it out here.
Yeah my daughter's mother wants to buy a house somewhere in Silicon Valley but I told her gotta be crazy to do something like that right now.  

It's funny how many threads I've seen and read here on NT over the years, and hearing from NT'ers "Wow I just took a trip out to SF and want to move out here" :lol:

Then they do some research and realize that even if they got a high paying job with a company like google or Apple 90% of their paycheck would go to housing and on rent alone.

Now the tech bros are out and about being obnoxious as hell. They used to only be prevalent in the Marina but they're everywhere now. I pray they don't come to the Sunset.

Richmond District has changed or at least the people. They like opened up some pub spot there and didn't get why but realized cause the neighborhood is becoming more young cause that was the affordable area. Sunset will catch on but the only thing that makes it not as livable is cause there are no restaurants or excitement out there. They even opened up that brewery in the Sunset which I assume had to do with that brewery cutting down on rent and knowing people will flock to it because that is what is in.

My homie bought a 1 bedroom in Dogpatch area 2 years ago. He spent $700k and put a half down on it because he had some life insurance money from his dad passing away. Because of that, his mortgage isn't that bad but his HOA is $900!!! I think he pays $2900 a month but that HOA is literally just BS money for some moderate amenities and what not.

Richmond District has changed or at least the people. They like opened up some pub spot there and didn't get why but realized cause the neighborhood is becoming more young cause that was the affordable area. Sunset will catch on but the only thing that makes it not as livable is cause there are no restaurants or excitement out there. They even opened up that brewery in the Sunset which I assume had to do with that brewery cutting down on rent and knowing people will flock to it because that is what is in.

My homie bought a 1 bedroom in Dogpatch area 2 years ago. He spent $700k and put a half down on it because he had some life insurance money from his dad passing away. Because of that, his mortgage isn't that bad but his HOA is $900!!! I think he pays $2900 a month but that HOA is literally just BS money for some moderate amenities and what not.
Sunset too far out and ****** weather too.  Only time of the year ppl want to live in the Sunset is during Outside Lands

I'm actually in the Inner Sunset, just a few blocks from 9th and Irving area. Restaurants for days. Nightlife I can really care less about.

Fongstarr - you ever hit up Social Study out around your way?

I still love the city, but man what the hell is happening to the minority population here? All these rich white kids have basically taken over everything outside of Sunset. I feel a lot more comfortable in the South/East Bay these days. Sunset isn't even bad, there's tons of good restaurants, especially if you like Asian food.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone here watched million dollar listing SF but you can tell just by that show that new development is taking over. Houses are being renovated in haight, mission, noe valley. Even though the neighborhood isn't the best people are still paying top dollar for these places. This influx of tech money has driven a bunch of people out. Found this nice place in pleasanton which isn't badly priced for the sq footage in my opinion. If it was in the peninsula it would be an easy million or above.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...-121.564579,37.601312,-121.925068_rect/11_zm/

Will watch later.

The same thing happen to Seattle :smh: .

Million dollar listings in my neighborhood now :wow:

lmao im in a FB group called "Bay Area rooms & apartments"..Basically a forum for those in search of room mates, rooms, etc..

there is a ton of nonsense in that group ranging from SF transplants ppl telling others to "kick rocks if you dont like the inflated rent" to individuals looking to rent out their curtained living rooms for $1800mo..

Last edited:
Might have to move out to Concord, Hayward or South City if I get lucky, right now I'm doing OK in DC.

I'm kinda hoping for a tech stagnation to stabilize the housing market a bit.

Last edited:
I'm actually in the Inner Sunset, just a few blocks from 9th and Irving area. Restaurants for days. Nightlife I can really care less about.

Fongstarr - you ever hit up Social Study out around your way?

I literally live in the same building as Social Study. To this day, I have only gone 2 times but went early when no one figured it out. I hated it at the time because no actual sun hits into that place (they sort of pitched it as a coffee spot). Not that it's a casual happy hour/nightlife spot, it's doing so much better but I just can't stomach the crowd even though people are really civil. They had that place below me too called Zoomak and it closed down within year because it tried to be some dive bar spot but they played music way to loud in there and it's all that dance BS. I still don't get why they can't just open up a normal pub with some TVs for sports. I am can't wait till Origin closes. I am mostly a hater when I say that because i hear the music through my walls and there are so many damn drunk asians in front of my door every Friday and Saturday.

Happening to DC and its surrounding areas as we speak

But 3500 for a one bedroom :x

You could get a ******* mansion for that price :lol:

Back
Top Bottom