MAX | Out Now | Tokyo Vice Season 2

I will blame Lin for that ****. He knows better. I know that Ramos dude is his boy from Hamilton but it’s just a slap in the face to not get a Dominican to play a Dominican from the Heights. If anything, he should have changed Usnavi to Puerto Rican but then he would lose the immigrant aspect of that character. Maybe make him Cuban in that case. I know the Heights turned out for the audition, it was repeatedly on the news. He could have gotten someone to really represent the neighborhood or at the very least Dominicans in general. The only thing worse was In The Time of the Butterflies when they got a bunch of Mexican actors to portray Dominicans.

Now the director is the Crazy Rich Asians guy. That’s a whole other convo. I always found it interesting that the darker skinned Asians in that movie were relegated to server roles or bodyguards. The problem with In The Heights and Crazy Rich Asians is that they’re supposed to be the progressive attempts at representation in Hollywood but they’re still deeply flawed.

As for Dascha, I always thought she had a great body but kind of looked like a horse in the face. But she cleans up well.

Last edited:
^^^
Yeah I feel you, got love for Ramos as an actor but he didn’t need to be in this role. Movie is definitely not for everyone and was too Broadway. I enjoyed it but I also get why folks didn’t. Also I think it’s great that there’s more accountability in casting.

Who gives af if the film has a good rating so far, they still went with comfortable casting to appease. I believe Chu did the same thing with Crazy Rich Asians where a ton of the cast were East Asian with lighter complexion, with South and Southeast Asians just in the background doing service work and whatnot.

Forgive my ignorance but is there really that much of a difference in what Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are supposed to look like? :lol: :nerd:

Forgive my ignorance but is there really that much of a difference in what Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are supposed to look like? :lol: :nerd:

Dominicans in general don’t look like Anthony Ramos. That’s not to say that there aren’t light skinned Dominicans but in general, not like him. He definitely doesn’t look like your average Dominican from Washington Heights. But more to the point, Lin is supposed to be the Woke, Representation Matters, we’re gonna get it right dude. That’s a huge oversight. He’s a Puerto Rican who grew up Uptown but he doesn’t have the immigrant experience. Puerto Ricans are American citizens, they don’t deal with the craziness of citizenship that other countries deal with. Yet Lin is using a Dominican experience to tell the story. The least he can do is get an actual Dominican in that lead role.

That's on HBO Max? Looks like it's old

yup. From 2018…but incredible

109FABAE-0B48-4653-8D96-46B0835ABCB8.png

Didn't know Lin Miranda was Puerto Rican, I had assumed he was Dominican, probably for doing this. Never knew much about him, I still haven't seen Hamilton.

Dominicans in general don’t look like Anthony Ramos. That’s not to say that there aren’t light skinned Dominicans but in general, not like him. He definitely doesn’t look like your average Dominican from Washington Heights. But more to the point, Lin is supposed to be the Woke, Representation Matters, we’re gonna get it right dude. That’s a huge oversight. He’s a Puerto Rican who grew up Uptown but he doesn’t have the immigrant experience. Puerto Ricans are American citizens, they don’t deal with the craziness of citizenship that other countries deal with. Yet Lin is using a Dominican experience to tell the story. The least he can do is get an actual Dominican in that lead role.

Yea there is very wide range of skin colors among Dominicans AND Puerto Ricans. A sh*t ton of African slaves were taken to Puerto Rico. But I suppose if I had to guess a black looking Hispanic person's ethnicity I'd guess Dominican I suppose.

I agree with your point about the immigrant experience though but as far as looks go, I don't think I can confidently differentiate a Dominican from Puerto Rican.

Honestly being from New York I've never viewed a Dominican dude from New York as a "foreigner" but someone from Mississippi may see both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as foreign/immigrants but that's another story.

Last edited:
People are up in arms about the skin colors in the movie but I think the most inauthentic thing about it was the Bodega.

Mad clean and organized
No Bodega cat appearance
No papi behind the counter making bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches

I was disappointed. :smh:

Last edited:
Oh wow, didn't keep the movie on my mind so I assumed Lin Manuel directed the movie.

Mans passed this trash off to Jon Chu.

I been lookin at that Lin Manuel dude funny ever since he went and spit freestyles on every white tv show but then all of a sudden didnt feel like rapping when they asked him to spit on the Breakfast Club.

This guy had mad bars in the tuck for the soccer moms at Ellen's show but was too good to spit something on an actual hiphop station. That **** just rubbed me the wrong way :smh:

I been lookin at that Lin Manuel dude funny ever since he went and spit freestyles on every white tv show but then all of a sudden didnt feel like rapping when they asked him to spit on the Breakfast Club.

This guy had mad bars in the tuck for the soccer moms at Ellen's show but was too good to spit something on an actual hiphop station. That **** just rubbed me the wrong way :smh:

Lol maybe he was smart enough to know how the breakfast club works. Dude went to Wesleyan and writes musicals, I don't think he was interested in getting into radio rap shenanigans

Lol maybe he was smart enough to know how the breakfast club works. Dude went to Wesleyan and writes musicals, I don't think he was interested in getting into radio rap shenanigans

Yeah, he probably knew how Charlamagne does and he was going to get clowned with his 1980's flow

It's not a bad thing if he modeled his rap after 80s and 90s, but it's probably more 90s and early 2000s than 80s.

I wouldn't mind a mumble rap 2020s style remix of this though.

It's not a bad thing if he modeled his rap after 80s and 90s, but it's probably more 90s and early 2000s than 80s

Dude, he himself Rakim was one of his influences and he was doing his rhyme schemes.

How familiar are you with 80's rap?

Rakim birthed Nas
Kool G Rap birthed Pun

Dude, he himself Rakim was one of his influences and he was doing his rhyme schemes.

How familiar are you with 80's rap?

Rakim birthed Nas
Kool G Rap birthed Pun

Lol Rakim invented "flow" Which is why I said I isn't a bad thing if he modeled himself after 80s and 90s rap, but a lot of the music in Hamilton was not that.

if he would have gotten "clowned" for that, that's a poor reflection on charlamagne who I actually like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom