HBO Presents: Magic & Bird - A Courtship of Rivals SAT 3/6 8PM ET

Heads up:

01-11-magic-and-bird-a-courtship-of-rivals-600.jpg

Might check this out.

Has anyone read When the Game was Ours, and if so what are your thoughts on the book?

Originally Posted by toine2983

Might check this out.

Has anyone read When the Game was Ours, and if so what are your thoughts on the book?

About halfway through it. It tells me a lot of stuff I already know from NBA TV and Celtics DVD's, but I would still recommend it. It's cool to be able to get their perspective on what they were thinking at any particular time and the stories are interesting.

The coolest part about both of them is that I don't think either of them becomes as great as they did without the other. I mean, Bird was freaking training for the next season the day after the parade.

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

The coolest part about both of them is that I don't think either of them becomes as great as they did without the other. I mean, Bird was freaking training for the next season the day after the parade.
I think the comment that both are part of an exclusive club is the most accurate. They thrived on the fact everyone debated who was better. Their rivalry may be the greatest of all time, in all sports, on an individual level.

Great documenatory.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
 @ Bryant Gumbel wildin' near the end.

HBO did a good job with this. Every new jack on this site needs to watch this. I don't care what anyone says, Magic is the greatest Laker ever. I never knew Larry was such a recluse, their rivalry saved the NBA like Gumbel said.

I watched it a few hours ago on DVR and really didnt expect much. But it was awesome and I loved it. I mean I knew the story basically but the fact that it was new interviews (not those same NBA at 50 Magic/Bird stuff that gets overused). I knew about the 79 NCAA finals game but not about Magic & Bird playing on that collegiate USA team before (that footage was awesome) and then when they showed them ending their careers on the Dream Team it was exellent. I knew about the Converse ad that brought them together but not in the detail they talked about it (Magic on a ATV in full Laker uniform???).  Also the Magic vs Earvin stuff was great and footage of old school NBA where they actually fought and hard fouled was nice to see.

Makes me want to break out my Bird and Magic Weapons!

I wish I saw Magic and Bird play. That frozen rope behind the back pass that Bird threw 
eek.gif
 Anyone got a Youtube link to that?
And Isiah seems like [NachoLibre] A real douche. [/NachoLibre] 
laugh.gif

Finally got a chance to see this. Incredible.

My favorite part was Larry calling Magic when the HIV news came out and how much it meant to Magic. Larry could barely even take the court after he heard the news and lost his fire. Never knew that before.

Originally Posted by Banks2Pierce

Finally got a chance to see this. Incredible.

My favorite part was Larry calling Magic when the HIV news came out and how much it meant to Magic. Larry could barely even take the court after he heard the news and lost his fire. Never knew that before.

i thought that was cool.

i caught the tail end of the show, didnt even know what i was watchin. Gumble was goin off. sucks how bird hurt himself shoveling gravel...smh

overall great from what i seen.

and to touch on the Isaiah stuff. he denied and stated his bro had hiv/aids so i kiind of believe that might be a mix up...in the doc tho, they made him look bad.

FIRST B0RN wrote:
 I don't care what anyone says, Magic is the greatest player ever.

pimp.gif
 im glad you agree
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

but nahh on the real though ive been saying this that magic is the GLOAT and yet ive been getting heat from my own Laker fam...even if kobe does surpass ring-wise and finals MVP wise i still think the magic man is still the man...magic and kareem could be 1a and 1b for me.

anyways can anyone please post this on youtube?
nerd.gif

Just watched this yesterday. I never knew Magic motivated Larry that much that he would check the newspaper everyday to see what Magic stats were. The fact the NBA finals were on tape delay until Magic and Bird came along proves how important they were to the game of basketball.

bird and magic motivated each other...they each would try to get better every summer because they knew the other was working just as hard or even harder

Back
Top Bottom