HBO: The Last of Us (Season 2 is a go)...Sundays @ 9PM EST...Pedro Pascal&Bella Ramsey=Joel&Ellie...NO SPOILERS IF YOU'VE PLAYED THE GAMES

something wrong with some people

Losers, to keep it PG-13.
Don't these people have something better/more productive to do with their time in big 2023? AND I'm posting this on an internet forum where we literally just bumped the NBA 15+ pages over And1 Alex Jones(© RustyShackleford RustyShackleford ) trade request.

That's video game ****, none of that is cinematic.
I do not agree with you. Zombies are an entire cinematic genre. John Wick is four movies in about nothing but killing people. It works all the time.

Also Ellie specifically mentioned the Bloaters in the show, kinda set me up to expect it.

I personally feel like the existence of bloaters is key to the story, would like to see them use it. But I dont make the show.

They don’t need to create a carbon copy of the game either, definitely did not expect that to be the case. they’re gonna nail the Joel/Ellie dynamic without having them kill a bunch of people it seems. Idk how you get season 2 off without nonstop over the top violence though. Second game is much more violent.

End of the day I’m glad video game stories are being given a chance there’s some fire stuff out there thats way better than the stuff that gets made into movies. Like there’s like 16 Star Wars things. Spend some of that Money and make Metal Gear Solid a thing.

Between Sonic, this, Uncharted, and the Mario movie hopefully, the stage is being set for Video Games to get the comic book treatment.

Last edited:
Word? That is whats up. I try not to watch trailers anymore. I have seen too many trailers that are basically “tell the whole movie in 90 seconds” lately. Don’t like it.

Word? That is whats up. I try not to watch trailers anymore. I have seen too many trailers that are basically “tell the whole movie in 90 seconds” lately. Don’t like it.

I agree. I’ve avoided trailers for a few marvel films and definitely made me enjoy them more.

I think it's ok if they introduce the Bloaters in another scene. Having it appear in the gym wasn't vital.
But for scenes like the university, the winter arc, etc... which shape the characters... then it'll be more important to get that right, IMO.

I do not agree with you. Zombies are an entire cinematic genre. John Wick is four movies in about nothing but killing people. It works all the time.

Also Ellie specifically mentioned the Bloaters in the show, kinda set me up to expect it.

I personally feel like the existence of bloaters is key to the story, would like to see them use it. But I dont make the show.

They don’t need to create a carbon copy of the game either, definitely did not expect that to be the case. they’re gonna nail the Joel/Ellie dynamic without having them kill a bunch of people it seems. Idk how you get season 2 off without nonstop over the top violence though. Second game is much more violent.

End of the day I’m glad video game stories are being given a chance there’s some fire stuff out there thats way better than the stuff that gets made into movies. Like there’s like 16 Star Wars things. Spend some of that Money and make Metal Gear Solid a thing.

Between Sonic, this, Uncharted, and the Mario movie hopefully, the stage is being set for Video Games to get the comic book treatment.

no. "Zombies" are not cinematic.
A human characters emotional journey within the context of a zombie apocalypse is cinematic.

Video games are fundamentally different than film storytelling.

Films are about how CHARACTERS change in response to stimuli.
Games are about how YOU change in response to stimuli.

Mario is not cinematic, Mario doesn't change when you save the princess.
YOU change.

The last of us is an unsually cinematic games, but it still a game.
The bill and frank thing in the game is video game ****, to teach you how to play the game.

but it would be totally inert and boring if you had to watch that as a film.

Last edited:
The reason that most game adaptation suck is that most games aren't actually stories.

they are mostly just cool premises,
but they don't actually have the necessary elements for compelling cinematic storytelling.

So it requires a lot of adaptation and creative license
which up until recently has been done by bad directors and producers who don't even understand the source material.

Last of Us is probably the closest thing to film storytelling to ever exist in a video game.
but there is still a bunch of video game stuff that would not work on film.

A human characters emotional journey within the context of a zombie apocalypse is cinematic.

Video games are fundamentally different than film storytelling.

Films are about how CHARACTERS change in response to stimuli.
Games are about how YOU change in response to stimuli.

Mario is not cinematic, Mario doesn't change when you save the princess.
YOU change.

The last of us is an usually cinematic games, but it still a game.
The bill and frank thing in the game is video game ****, to teach you how to play the game.

but it would be totally inert and boring if you had to watch that as a film.
Again do not agree. We saw Ellie change throughout both games. Real story telling. It happened in the game we saw it.

Society just under rates video games as media and gives film too much credence. We can watch John Wick say next to nothing and kill a bunch of people but we can’t watch Joel and Bill do it? Johh Wick is fire love it not insulting it.

Thats how losers like Martin Scorseses start turning up their nose at things that aren’t just “Robert DiNero pretends to be from Italy for three hours” for 40 years in 30 movies.

I think it's ok if they introduce the Bloaters in another scene. Having it appear in the gym wasn't vital.
But for scenes like the university, the winter arc, etc... which shape the characters... then it'll be more important to get that right, IMO.
I agree. All I’m saying is that theres core stuff in the game that we should see. I would be annoyed if there were no bloaters at all. I’ve already accepted the reduced violence of the show which is a shame too cause a big factor of this game is how violent it is. Stuff is gonna change for sure but there are some things I would say can’t be altered and I hope I get to see them

Last edited:
Again do not agree. We saw Ellie change throughout both games. Real story telling. It happened in the game we saw it.

Yah hence why I said Last of Us is the closest thing to film storytelling in video games.

99% of games are not like this. (this is not an insult)

but Last of us is still a video game, and there has to be way more action and sections that teach you how to play the game.
that would not work on film. and Neil Druckmann the creator of the game said as much in their podcast.

Society just under rates video games as media and gives film too much credence. We can watch John Wick say next to nothing and kill a bunch of people but we can’t watch Joel and Bill do it? Johh Wick is fire love it not insulting it.

Thats how losers like Martin Scorseses start turning up their nose at things that aren’t just “Robert DiNero pretends to be from Italy for three hours” for 40 years in 30 movies

I think you are under rating video games,
and falling into a trap where film ends up being the measurement of artistic quality in games

You are essentially setting up a world where video games need to be as much like film as possible to be art

Films and Video Games are different, different mediums with different purposes,
they overlap and intersect but they are not the same.

and that's fine,
a game like Factorio for example with little to no story can be just as compelling an artistic experience as a game with very cinematic storytelling style like The Last of US.

we as gamers don't need to be defensive and pretend like they are the same, and films stories are just like video game stories.
they aren't and that's fine.

I don’t think I’m doing that. They could have the show a shot for shot remake of the game and it would have been fire. It stands on its own very well. But we could go back and forth all day. Shows fire and Im gonna watch.

I started watching a Longplay of the game last night as well. The story I enjoyed still exists out there so I dont need a shot for shot remake and I started playing the second game a few months ago

Episode IV: “Please Hold Onto My Hand”…Tonight @9PM EST
Runtime: 50 MIN

A horde of zombies marching through the streets is definitely cinematic.

For some reason you seem to be forgetting the visual part of cinema.

A large part of the horror genre relies on the visual element that helps establish tension and created fear.

Some of that is video game **** but they bleed in to each other when the right director executed it correctly.

A striking visual of a monster will always have its place in cinema.

I hate the split open faces 🤢

But I’ll keep watching.

Rick and Morty had some of these graphic visuals I moved passed as well.

A horde of zombies marching through the streets is definitely cinematic.

For some reason you seem to be forgetting the visual part of cinema.

A large part of the horror genre relies on the visual element that helps establish tension and created fear.

Some of that is video game **** but they bleed in to each other when the right director executed it correctly.

A striking visual of a monster will always have its place in cinema.

Yah but I'm not ignoring the visual element.

Back
Top Bottom