HBO: "Watchmen"...Season 1 Discussion...Season 2 Up in the Air... :)

This was my favorite episode yet I’m not totally sold on how the plan to get Looking Glass to the Kalvary came together. Thought it felt lazy because it happened in too tidy of a manner.

It’s hard for me to suspend reality there when the writers have intelligently tied things together throughout the show up until that point. The fact that Wade just so happened to immediately fall for this new chick, go grab drinks w/ her and allow himself to get suckered in that fast? And then he runs in the building without backup and without his mask? Seems incredibly out of character, especially when we know his mask is his “super power” and his strength. Intercepted his call for back-up? Is that actually a capable thing w/ radios or do they maybe have cops working w/ the Kalvary?

And the convo w/ his ex RIGHT before all that just felt shoe horned in and a cheap way to try to foreshadow what was going to happen next w/ the blonde. Def want to watch it again and let it sink in more tho.

Cynthia Tillman: I spent seven years trying to convince you I wasn’t gonna take your clothes and run off.

Looking Glass: Seven years bad luck.

1574135489708.gif

It’s not even that deep. They are movies with childhood favorite characters that tell good stories and have action in them. Bruh is just a grumpy old man

I think he has a point on some level, look at how toxic some of the fandoms around many franchises. Much of the time driven by older white males bemoaning the fact someone ruined something from their childhood.

Let them cast a black Bruce Wayne or Superman, and she what happens.

I think he has a point on some level, look at how toxic some of the fandoms around many franchises. Much of the time driven by older white males bemoaning the fact someone ruined something from their childhood.

Let them cast a black Bruce Wayne or Superman, and she what happens.

Bruh...I worked with an MMA/MAGA/Joe Rogan Listening dude...whose entire cubicle was Marvel stuff. He was a fanatic. Like hardcore super fan. I remember somebody bringing up the black panther movie one time...as I was rounding the corner in the morning...and he was talking about how he liked the action in the film, but “everything around it wasn’t for him”....I popped up like....

D63A5408-F5EC-4FD9-B9CD-56E7763EC3E0.gif

And his face turned white and the convo instantly shifted :rofl:

BADF50CC-6E51-448D-B76F-CE03D9955761.gif

Open cubicles had them starting to have to check their tones. I was one of only like 3 black people at my old job (that just started in a years time frame). I can only imagine the convos when none of us were there lol. Wasn’t going for none of it.

Bruh...I worked with an MMA/MAGA/Joe Rogan Listening dude...whose entire cubicle was Marvel stuff. He was a fanatic. Like hardcore super fan. I remember somebody bringing up the black panther movie one time...as I was rounding the corner in the morning...and he was talking about how he liked the action in the film, but “everything around it wasn’t for him”....I popped up like....

D63A5408-F5EC-4FD9-B9CD-56E7763EC3E0.gif

And his face turned white and the convo instantly shifted :rofl:

BADF50CC-6E51-448D-B76F-CE03D9955761.gif

Open cubicles had them starting to have to check their tones. I was one of only like 3 black people at my old job (that just started in a years time frame). I can only imagine the convos when none of us were there lol. Wasn’t going for none of it.
Bruh, I got so many similar stories.

Now I am management, it got manage these dudes fragile self worth and HR complaints.

Last month a dude complained one of my analyst verbally attacked him because he was openly complaining about Michelle Obama's comments regarding white people leaving her neighborhood, saying he gets along with his Mexican neighbors, and she schooled him on white flight and told him he needs to educate himself before he whines.

Dude had the audacity to say the tone of the office has turned hostile since last year. When you trace back the timeline, that was about the time more minorities came aboard.

Massive Star Wars fan too, but doesn't like the new movies because they are trying to be too PC, and trying to appease Hollywood insiders. When everyone stone faced him when he said that, you could see him turn red because the dog whistle didn't work.

Last edited:
This was my favorite episode yet I’m not totally sold on how the plan to get Looking Glass to the Kalvary came together. Thought it felt lazy because it happened in too tidy of a manner.

It’s hard for me to suspend reality there when the writers have intelligently tied things together throughout the show up until that point. The fact that Wade just so happened to immediately fall for this new chick, go grab drinks w/ her and allow himself to get suckered in that fast? And then he runs in the building without backup and without his mask? Seems incredibly out of character, especially when we know his mask is his “super power” and his strength. Intercepted his call for back-up? Is that actually a capable thing w/ radios or do they maybe have cops working w/ the Kalvary?

And the convo w/ his ex RIGHT before all that just felt shoe horned in and a cheap way to try to foreshadow what was going to happen next w/ the blonde. Def want to watch it again and let it sink in more tho.

I think they wrote wade “letting his guard down”....right after seeing his wife, and her giving him that advice intentionally. It only hardens and confirms how he felt as the little boy who got lured by that girl into the house of mirrors and got his clothes snatched up 30 years ago....to the same parallel now.

In both times where he allowed himself to be vulnerable...the church guy told him to go talk to them people...and his ex wife told him to open up to a good woman. Right before he was fooled.

I see it as intentional, and well within his character arc they set with his background.

This
Is
How
I
Feel

!!!!

Gotta love Moore.

While we can debate Birth of A Nation being the first superhero movie the source of all of these masks and capes is the Scarlet Pimpernel which came out 12 years prior to BoAN and was the inspiration for Zorro.

A lot of commentary about a certain group not letting go of this intended childhood medium and the critiques is definitely there but really has nothing to do with the franchise's they've become given preteen and teenage kids still exist and will always make that particular category a cash cow.

Moore never misses a chance to **** on his colleagues though :lol:

Last edited:
This
Is
How
I
Feel

!!!!

Well damn.

When I saw he had something to say, I almost brushed it off thinking he was just being petty Alan Moore again and ****ting on another adaptation, but I completely agree with him...for some people. A lot of what he said is extremely true, but there are tons of people who enjoy these films and stories just as purely as they did as kids. For some people it is just nostalgia that pulls at them so much. I think it's unfair to place any blame on the medium if a certain group of unsavory people take it up as their lives. If it weren't comic book movies, these people would find the same comfort in something else.

Just spit balling here, but maybe there is some correlation between comic fanatics (nerds) and use of the internet. I'd bet their more likely to be radicalized by media. I'd reckon to say there's a lot of overlap between these people and those gamer gate people, and the people who post Pepe the frog memes online.

I really thought yo was bout to get some toppy at the beginning tho...but he was acting all scared anyway, wasn't bout that life :lol: :smh:

Bruh, I got so many similar stories.

Now I am management, it got manage these dudes fragile self worth and HR complaints.

Last month a dude complained one of my analyst verbally attacked him because he was openly complaining about Michelle Obama's comments regarding white people leaving her neighborhood, saying he gets along with his Mexican neighbors, and she schooled him on white flight and told him he needs to educate himself before he whines.

Dude had the audacity to say the tone of the office has turned hostile since last year. When you trace back the timeline, that was about the time more minorities came aboard.

Massive Star Wars fan too, but doesn't like the new movies because they are trying to be too PC, and trying to appease Hollywood insiders. When everyone stone faced him when he said that, you could see him turn red because the dog whistle didn't work.
Man I thought about jumping back into management recently then remembered how whiny and **** people are. Like you really want me to give a **** about this petty stuff?

Alan Moore is very perceptive and intelligent but he's also a disgruntled bastard too. A lot of entertainment is about escapism and he should know about that since he's a comic book writer and he's written some legendary works and has been compensated for it as well.

This
Is
How
I
Feel

!!!!

While he is spot on in his assertion that individuals are drawn to these characters due to nostalgia and a sort of arrested development I would like him to flesh out his second point regarding cultural stasis a little more. I also usually tend to ignore individuals not able to separate the art from the artists. I am ignorant on the matter, but just because these writers weren't strong willed individuals on the right side of history, doesn't mean they can't create exceptional characters.

What a great episode that answered questions and then asked some more.

Glad they touched a lot more on the events before the show and in the book. The shot reveal of the squid was awesome in the beginning. The layers the show builds and revealing that not only Keane was involved with the Calvary but that their goal is revealing the truth behind what's happened.

I'm really excited to see all these stories come together. Angela and the chief and her grandpa, Ozy, Looking Glass and the Calvary, Trieu, so much to finish up.

Random thought popped in my head but what if Angela's husband is Dr. Manhattan? Like he purposely placed himself in Tulsa at the center of everything anticipating the same big thing everyone is. From his build, to his philosophy, and the actor Yahya usually having bigger roles than playing the background.

Back
Top Bottom