Headlight/Taillight tinting legal in CA?

Does anyone know if tinting the headlights or taillights of your car is legal?

I am pretty sure it is illegal. I have alot of friends that have tinted or applied overlays on their taillights. Most have got busted but it depends how light you go. Its like tint I guess. If a cop wants to be a @#%$, he will cite you. Obviously, the lighter you go, the less problems you will have.

As for headlights, sure it looks good, but it really cuts down on light output. I'm sure you would get cited for that quick.

235527752.jpg

Team Vintage Heat​

not legal

like w/tinted windows, just cuz you haven't been popped yet, doesn't make it legal.
" " " ", having tinted lights, esp tails is just giving cops an open invite to pull you over at ANY time and the opportunity to open up a whole buncha cans of worms as far as searching for weapons, illegal substances, dudes w/warrants, etc.

you gotta pay to play.
choose wisely, and don't cry about it later on if you don't.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

^ ^ prolly HIDs

and it is legal to tint out headlights / tail lights, the amber turn signal in the head lights have to be visible at all time, and for the rears, when the brake light is applied, it has to be able to be seen from 100 feet away.

but like CL said, its an attention grabber for cops, and they can pull you over and get you with a bunch of other things as well.
when is enough ENOUGH?!?!

technically, what donjaye said about tinting lights being legal is right.....they have guidelines as far as how visible+what color+and what lights i believe can be tinted tho.

regardless, like all vehicle code+equipment infractions, it's always up to the discretion of the cops whether they want to pull you over+issue the citations. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT'S "LEGAL".......there are certain cops that admittedly hand out fix it tix (no longer really fixable like back in the day....they all come w/fine$+processing charges even when you get tix signed off)..........to dudes for "legal" mods such as headers & intakes EVEN W/CARB E.O. #'s STAMPED ON THE PARTS. reasoning is that not all heads will go thru the trouble of contesting the tix. cops WILL try to ruin your day and lighten your pocket$ if you are being a serious d-head acting all hardbody and such.

again, this info is legit. i've been on the wrong end of more than a few overzealous cops over the years.....most of em in the SoCal+LA area cuz i'm straight up here, but the same unspoken rules apply up here and everywhere.

i don't want to keep repeating myself, but.......pay to play. don't cry later either.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

Back
Top Bottom