Heat, Wade Discuss Contract Extension

MIAMI -- Pat Riley's plan to make the Miami Heat better in 2010 might start with signing Dwyane Wade in 2009.

The Heat president said Wednesday that the team has already broached the topic of getting Wade to extend his contract this summer, instead of waiting for the potentially blockbuster-filled offseason of 2010.

Riley called Wade's future in Miami "absolutely" the top priority for the Heat right now.

"We would love to get a commitment," Riley said. "I mean, he's our franchise player. We've spent seven years together. We won a world championship with him. We love him to death. He's irreplaceable. ... But we also understand that he has the right to wait."

Wade is among several All-Stars who could be free agents next year.

Could we see this happen with a few of the other potential free agents because of the economy and watch 2010 hype evaporatebefore our eyes?

Especially if the Owners/ NBA or whoever vote to lower the cap?

Locking in a larger amount now vs. a potentially lower cap/less max money?

Riley give wade datt g.arenas contract...
2483c40a23a3261540f8c9c4b5040891.gif

Heats Release: james jones, dorell wright, Mark Blount, Yakhouba Diawara....A.S.A.P
smokin.gif

We should of kept rick davis fool was decent...
grin.gif

%%%%#@$%, haven't you heard? everybody wants to be a New York Knick, he won't sign

i think at this point wade would rather play in miami than chi. i know he's chicago dude in his heart but I think he really loves living in Miami, and theNBA season takes place during the months where chicago weather is at its worst (i've heard chicago has ill summers though.) Chicago is his home, but yougotta keep in mind that he's also done a lot of growing up in Miami as well, he's been there since 03 and the gap between Miami and Chicago as his homemight not be as big as we might think.

I can really see wade continute living in Miami as opposed to chicago when he retires.

I think if he's moving to anywhere its NY, and even then it won't happen unless he's OD money/fame hungry and NY can make some real moves to putthe right pieces around him.

Knicks need to wait 'till '11 to make a run at Dwight Howard. The future of '10 draft class is looking sketchy and there is 0 reason to spend moneyon players who aren't going to win you a championship ie Bosh and Joe Johnson.

I read that blurb twice and still don't see where Wade has spoke to them about it.

I hope Wade signs with the heat this summer
pimp.gif

but in all seriousness if lebron wins it all this year I fell he to will most likely sign a contract extension too
grin.gif

South beach is just too nice. Hot women, nice living environment, night life, plus he's a big star in MIA . I def think he will resign

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

MIAMI -- Pat Riley's plan to make the Miami Heat better in 2010 might start with signing Dwyane Wade in 2009.

The Heat president said Wednesday that the team has already broached the topic of getting Wade to extend his contract this summer, instead of waiting for the potentially blockbuster-filled offseason of 2010.

Riley called Wade's future in Miami "absolutely" the top priority for the Heat right now.

"We would love to get a commitment," Riley said. "I mean, he's our franchise player. We've spent seven years together. We won a world championship with him. We love him to death. He's irreplaceable. ... But we also understand that he has the right to wait."

Could we see this happen with a few of the other potential free agents because of the economy and watch 2010 hype evaporate before our eyes?

Especially if the Owners/ NBA or whoever vote to lower the cap?

Locking in a larger amount now vs. a potentially lower cap/less max money?

dont do it D Wade!!! lol

more of teh artical
MIAMI (AP)-Pat Riley's plan to make the Miami Heat better in 2010 might start with signing Dwyane Wade(notes) in 2009.

The Heat president said Wednesday that the team has already broached the topic of getting Wade to extend his contract this summer, instead of waiting for thepotentially blockbuster-filled offseason of 2010.

"We would love to get a commitment," Riley said. "I mean, he's our franchise player. We've spent seven years together. We won a worldchampionship with him. We love him to death. He's irreplaceable. … But we also understand that he has the right to wait."

Wade said earlier this week he hasn't spent much time thinking about his contract status, but has indicated repeatedly that he has no desire to leaveMiami. He's part of an All-Star group-including LeBron James(notes), Chris Bosh(notes), Kobe Bryant(notes) and others-who could find new homes after nextseason since he has the right to cancel the final year of his deal with the Heat and test free-agent waters.

But Riley's plan all along has been keeping salary space open for that critical summer to re-sign Wade, add another max-contract-worthy star to playalongside him, and retain other talent in order to lure free agents into looking at Miami. The Heat raised their win total by 28 from a year ago and tookAtlanta to seven games in the first playoff round.

"It's on everybody's mind," Riley said. "We want to build the very best team we can build here. We want Dwyane to be the centerpiece. Wewant to bring in players around him that complement him, that he can complement, that also complement other players. There's no doubt that we feel a needto do that."

Back
Top Bottom