Heavily contemplating buying a motorcycle - need advice Vol. Gas too high

Like the title says....been wanting to buy a bike for forever, but I just haven't done anything about it.  Now I've decided that it's time to make it a reality.

I'm looking for a 400 to 600 CC sport bike....2005 and up and under or around 5000$...and I'm not sure if bike insurance is like car insurance where certain bikes would call for higher insurance than others...although, it prolly doesn't even make a difference

Check the motorcycle thread, lots of great info.

But I would definitely suggest getting a 600 to start. Lots of people will say 250 is good but you will probably get bored of it really fast. I just got my first bike a month ago and I love it so far. If you check craigslist you will most definitely find one for sale.

Insurance wise I pay $150 for a full year of coverage, some people even pay cheaper than that. Just go around to different sites and get quotes (free). Even though you don't have a bike yet you can put info in and get an idea.

I would highly suggest taking a MSF class, they will show you the basics of riding and if you pass it you don't have to take the driving test. It will also get you a discount on insurance!

Here is a link to the MSF page:
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

And here is the motorcycle thread:
http://niketalk.yuku.com/...319/Post-Your-Motorcycle

i feel the same way as you OP, i slacked off this year with that but im def gonna get a bike next year.

Same here.

I'd assume bikes are cheaper to buy during the winter months?
What are insurance rates like in NYC for a bike? I'm more worried about insurance rates than the cost of the bike.

Bought a bike this year and LOVE it!!! I got a Honda cbr 600f4i. Definetly don't get anything less than that, <600 is very feminine. In regard to gas yes huge money saver. You need to use the 93 octane but I get about 40mpg highway.

wawa- Bikes are generally cheaper in the winter months due to it being the "offseason" (depending on where you are). But like I said in my first post just go on some websites and get some estimates for insurance, I know you don't have one yet but if you have a general idea of what you want you can enter it in and see what its like. Also, you will get discounts for certain things as well (MSF class, good driving record, etc). I'm with progressive and pay $150, and I'm 22 with my first bike.

Be safe out there everyone

+1 on taking the msf, for the reasons already stated...as well as just being a good introduction to what motorcycling demands of you, its very different from driving...

also if you are looking for a sportbike 05+ and in that 400-600cc range (there aren't many true sportbikes under 600cc these days unless you want a new kawasaki ninja 500, which is unchanged from the 90s...or maybe a gsf 500) and unless you go the 250 route (of which the kawasaki 250 & honda has a new 250 dropping this year) you prolly won't see crazy mpg numbers on any sportbike, especially as new rider...if you really are about that life, and want to maximize on the mpgs might i suggest looking at a honda ruckus:

tasuku_l.jpeg

they are easy & super fun to ride, don't require a m class license(still recommend the msf), get up to about 40 mph, are easily modded, & can clock something like 75-100+ mpg...

what do you get now in your current vehicle? not sure a sportbike is going to save all that much, if that is one of your main concerns

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

Check the motorcycle thread, lots of great info.

But I would definitely suggest getting a 600 to start. Lots of people will say 250 is good but you will probably get bored of it really fast. I just got my first bike a month ago and I love it so far. If you check craigslist you will most definitely find one for sale.

Insurance wise I pay $150 for a full year of coverage, some people even pay cheaper than that. Just go around to different sites and get quotes (free). Even though you don't have a bike yet you can put info in and get an idea.

I would highly suggest taking a MSF class, they will show you the basics of riding and if you pass it you don't have to take the driving test. It will also get you a discount on insurance!

Here is a link to the MSF page:
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

And here is the motorcycle thread:
http://niketalk.yuku.com/...319/Post-Your-Motorcycle
thread closed.

here's all the info you need, fambs.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I've always wanted a bike but im a bit worried. After seeing the stupidity of numerous drivers in NYC it makes me think 2x about getting one.

I'm taking my written test for my "learners permit" sometime this week.  I'm looking for a "Street Fighter-esque" style bike...saw an old Suzuki Bandit GSF400 for sale for $1800 near by....the more I read about it, the more I get that I might want to learn to ride on something less than 600cc's. I'm not getting a bike for the looks, or to go fast, just as an alternate/cheaper means of city transportation

Back
Top Bottom