Help me (and I'm assuming other NT'ers) understand the art of "wearing" jeans....

This is a spin-off from my dude DC's thread....

I'm a guy who will buy jeans, turn them inside out to wash with like colors, and wear them after that. However, in lurking in the "jeanscollege" thread or whatever it's called, I am curious as to why people take such EXTREME measures to wear their jeans. I'm talking about bathingin them, not taking them off for days at a time, etc etc....why do this? I see people in jeans all the time, and honestly I don't notice any differenceother than them being baggy, skinny, or what have you....if you're going to take all that time to alter the jeans to your liking, don't you want peopleto notice? The jeans that I get from the GAP after one wash are extremely comfortable....why waste your time doing all sorts of things to your pants if youcan just wear them as is pretty much after initially buying them?

I'm all ears on this one....

honestly i dnt get it either. some people say washin them changes how it feels and stuff. i dnt notice any difference really. i keep it simple. buy em wear emwash em and repeat.

Higher quality. Jeans like APC, Imperial Dukes, Flatheads, Nudies etc have terrific fades, honey combs and whatnot after alot of wears. The more you wear it,the more broken down it gets and looks great after a while. For some its the satisfaction you get when results are shown after numerous months of wear. Itsessentially "making" your own jean.

Some people really want that fit which is a bit too extreme IMO. I break them in by wearing them for a couple of times (not consecutively, that's nasty)then wash them when I have to laundry. The extent that some people go to is pathetic.

I've got 3 Pairs of APC denim. 1 Pair of Rescues and 2 Pairs of New Standards, one in black, one in indigo. I actually just got the indigo pair earlier inApril and I'm in the process of breaking them in, I need to get them hemmed to a 33' inseam though.

I prefer APC cause its not as "expensive" as the other high end brands and they have excellent quality. Its just that first week of them being alittle form fitting.
ohwell.gif
But after that they're great.

My-T.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Higher quality. Jeans like APC, Imperial Dukes, Flatheads, Nudies etc have terrific fades, honey combs and whatnot after alot of wears. The more you wear it, the more broken down it gets and looks great after a while. For some its the satisfaction you get when results are shown after numerous months of wear. Its essentially "making" your own jean.
Can't you get that look w. just about ANY jean out there? I mean if you have a pair of jeans that you wear over the course of a couple ofmonths, and after a few washes...they get that "worn in" look, fade, etc....

Damn dudes are wildn with the ways to wear jeans

Nobody just buys jeans, wears them and washes them anymore

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Higher quality. Jeans like APC, Imperial Dukes, Flatheads, Nudies etc have terrific fades, honey combs and whatnot after alot of wears. The more you wear it,
the more broken down it gets and looks great after a while. For some its the satisfaction you get when results are shown after numerous months of wear. Its
essentially "making" your own jean.
Can't you get that look w. just about ANY jean out there? I mean if you have a pair of jeans that you wear over the course of a couple of months, and after a few washes...they get that "worn in" look, fade, etc....

Yeah I guess if you don't really care then I wouldn't put too much thought into buying a pair of expensive denim.

I didn't like how STF 501's felt, didn't like how the GAP selvedge joints had the wide leg and didn't fit around my shoes.

I'm real picky about jeans. Sue me.

My-T.

Higher quality. Jeans like APC, Imperial Dukes, Flatheads, Nudies etc have terrific fades, honey combs and whatnot after alot of wears. The more you wear it, the more broken down it gets and looks great after a while. For some its the satisfaction you get when results are shown after numerous months of wear. Its essentially "making" your own jean.
Can't you get that look w. just about ANY jean out there? I mean if you have a pair of jeans that you wear over the course of a couple of months, and after a few washes...they get that "worn in" look, fade, etc....

Go buy some Levi's (under $100) GAP, Cheap Monday, etc and wear them for a few months. Go buy some APCs or Imperial Dukes and wear them for a couplemonths. Tell me the difference, cause its going to be well noticeable.

Its like wine, to me it can all taste the same, but there are people who care for the certain nuances in it. I don't mind your preference for Gap jeans,but i've built an attachment for jeans with a certain craftsmanship that have now melded to my body type, they crease the way i move, are unique to me, andthey are now just as soft as your jeans if not softer.

You dudes sickening me. No all jeans are not the same, no you won't get the same look if you wear a normal pair of jeans compared to one made out of stiffsturdy denim.

I've worn in 3 jeans in my lifetime and trust me they're not you're regular ol joe jeans. First off they're expensive, but it beats buying 5pairs a year when you just got that one
pimp.gif
pair.

And the fit ater its worn in is amazing, because it consorts to your body. All the wears you gave it weren't just for fashion, it gives you the perfectfit. Better than just going by size and length in a store.

I have a pair of APC New Standards and, while the initial week was a pain, I've never worn another pair of jeans that fit me as well after breaking themin. They were stiff as hell when I first got them but are now the softest pair of jeans I own. The quality between these and say a pair of Gap jeans is notcomparable. It's also fun to see the effects your constant wear has on the jeans. No pre-washed jeans are going to be able to imitate perfectly the wayyour jeans will fade as much as you just wearing them out.

But of course if you don't give a damn then all of that's moot.
ohwell.gif

If you don't get it you never will. Your best bet is to just keep it moving and accept that there are some things in the world that you will neverunderstand. Whether you want to understand them or not.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ninjasonik

You dudes sickening me. No all jeans are not the same, no you won't get the same look if you wear a normal pair of jeans compared to one made out of stiff sturdy denim.

I've worn in 3 jeans in my lifetime and trust me they're not you're regular ol joe jeans. First off they're expensive, but it beats buying 5 pairs a year when you just got that one
pimp.gif
pair.

And the fit ater its worn in is amazing, because it consorts to your body. All the wears you gave it weren't just for fashion, it gives you the perfect fit. Better than just going by size and length in a store.
The fit of jeans is not that serious. I can understand if you're wearing a suit you want it to fit your body as best as possible, butwe're talking about some casual/informal pants man. You don't wear jeans to formal settings so who really cares how your jeans fit?

Sweatpants > expensive brand jeans + "nice fit" method

I just have some Levi's as jeans, but for comfort, sweat pants are probably the greatest invention for comfort.

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

People clown on me for wearing my Slim Jim NUDIES everyday.
mad dirty
sick.gif
Word to using Febreeze to cover up the smell because they refuse to throw them in the washer, SMH.

I just buy nice jeans that fit properly from the get go and wash every 3-5 wears. I can't mess with this go swimming in salt water and soak your jeans invinegear nonsense.

Originally Posted by JDocs

If you don't get it you never will. Your best bet is to just keep it moving and accept that there are some things in the world that you will never understand. Whether you want to understand them or not.
smile.gif
they're jeans, man....you're making it seem like this is on some quantum physics level...

talking about "there are some things in the world you will never understand."
smh.gif
laugh.gif
jeans, man....jeans.

And the fit ater its worn in is amazing, because it consorts to your body.
Take a pair of jeans to a tailor and they can do the same thing for you...from adjusting the seat to the crotch to the inseam to taking the widthin. You get the jeans back in several days so you don't have to be unsanitary for a year.

This is a spin-off from my dude DC's thread....

I'm a guy who will buy jeans, turn them inside out to wash with like colors, and wear them after that. However, in lurking in the "jeans college" thread or whatever it's called, I am curious as to why people take such EXTREME measures to wear their jeans. I'm talking about bathing in them, not taking them off for days at a time, etc etc....why do this? I see people in jeans all the time, and honestly I don't notice any difference other than them being baggy, skinny, or what have you....if you're going to take all that time to alter the jeans to your liking, don't you want people to notice? The jeans that I get from the GAP after one wash are extremely comfortable....why waste your time doing all sorts of things to your pants if you can just wear them as is pretty much after initially buying them?

I'm all ears on this one....
I don't understand jean culture. Maybe it's because i'm not a fashionista..
or maybe it's because i'm not 135 pounds..(no hate.. but it's something i've noticed)
or maybe it's because i'm simple kinda man. I really don't get the jean complex.

Yeah, I wash my jeans inside out. Yeah, I get a decent pair of jeans. I'm not wearing Wranglers (although I can't say I didn't when I was little
laugh.gif
). I like Joes, Gap, Paper, etc. (I don't know if that's reallydoing it though
nerd.gif
). But i'll never understand. Never will probably.I've never had a problem with my peers, women, work, school, etc on the type of jeans I wear. I get compliments most of the time. Soo..who knows. I triedreading the official jeans thread to step up my game but I just ended up kinda
laugh.gif
at the whole thing. It all seemed pretty ridiculous.

Oh and one last note...I don't wear skinny jeans. Fitted, with BREATHTING room..yes. Skinny, womens, etc.. naa
sick.gif

Originally Posted by JDocs

If you don't get it you never will. Your best bet is to just keep it moving and accept that there are some things in the world that you will never understand. Whether you want to understand them or not.
smile.gif
they're jeans, man....you're making it seem like this is on some quantum physics level...

talking about "there are some things in the world you will never understand."
smh.gif
laugh.gif
jeans, man....jeans.

I'm just trying to save you some time, you won't get it. No matter how hard you try it will just never make sense to you. Goes the same for most"sub cultures".

If you guys really have the mentality that "they're just jeans" then there really is no point in you trying to understand. You've alreadyclosed yourself off to any sort of explanation. To you, they'll only be a simple piece of clothing that you can easily pick up at the store ready to wear.That's fine. To others though, there's a sense of pride in the whole DIY idea of raw denim.

A pair of jeans is a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans...

or

The pair of jeans you wear should be unique to you

Back
Top Bottom