Help me fund my bastard Kickstarter project! (semi-guaranteed prizes involved)

Aight, so a couple weeks ago I was thinking about self-publishing this book, and NT not only convinced me that was the move, but gave me a way to do it: starting a Kickstarter campaign.

I'm trying to raise $5,000 to print up a few hundred copies of my book and get a little advertisement for it, as well as making some lovely gifts for my supporters like this:

("Fresh Uncensored Critical Knowledge" "scouts" logo tee)

and this:

("Expecting (the Worst)") logo matchbook-style condom)

...as well as a book for anybody who donates over $20, but that can only happen if I get kickstarted. Check out the full project details here. (
http://www.kickstarter.co...oure-expecting-the-worst )

Now's your chance to help me bypass the system and get something out of it for yourself, so please consider donating. Even if you can't right now, helping me spread the word across all the internets works fine too. Any questions or comments, please feel free to put 'em in here.

Thanks for your time...kthxholla.

I think it would help if you had pictures of the prizes... or at least mockups.  I don't know what a FfYL sticker is and I doubt anyone else on kickstarter does either.  Check out other successful kickstarter campaigns and see what they are doing. Show people what they are getting and it will help.

Originally Posted by WilderShoe

I think it would help if you had pictures of the prizes... or at least mockups.  I don't know what a FfYL sticker is and I doubt anyone else on kickstarter does either.  Check out other successful kickstarter campaigns and see what they are doing. Show people what they are getting and it will help.

Hmm...that's a fair point, and I was looking for a place to put images of the prizes but there's really not one. Maybe I'll just throw them on the page somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and by the way, they are this:

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

either none of your pics work or my computer is broken

!$**, and I just now put pics of the prizes on the actual Kickstarter page...if you're still curious, you can go there until I figure out what the *++* the malfunction is with these pics...

1. Shave (or shape-up) and change into some more presentable clothes
2. Make sure the camera is eye level for your video. Sitting down facing you straight on at least.
3. Redo that bootleg graphic at the start of the video.
4. Write a script of what you're going to say. Practice it. Do multiple takes and keep the best vid.

I'm willing to donate but your presentation is atrocious and you don't inspire confidence in my investment.

Originally Posted by CreateDestroy

1. Shave (or shape-up) and change into some more presentable clothes

2. Make sure the camera is eye level for your video. Sitting down facing you straight on at least.

3. Redo that bootleg graphic at the start of the video.

4. Write a script of what you're going to say. Practice it. Do multiple takes and keep the best vid.

I'm willing to donate but your presentation is atrocious and you don't inspire confidence in my investment.

Fair suggestions, all...

1) The beard is my thing, and I'm dressed for the job I want...a indy writer who works from home. They say that's a good idea.

2) I did the best with what I had (a battery-powered digicam, a 8yr old laptop, and no pro equipment of any kind). Kinda why I'm taking donations.

3) The "bootleg graphic" was by default, Kickstarter puts your project profile pic on the front of your vids automatically.

4) I'll keep that in mind.

All in all, the project should speak for itself...if what I'm doing isn't enough to inspire confidence, then I'm #%#+@# anyway. Thanks for checking it out tho.

Originally Posted by potus2028

Aight, so a couple weeks ago I was thinking about self-publishing this book, and NT not only convinced me that was the move, but gave me a way to do it: starting a Kickstarter campaign.

I'm trying to raise $5,000 to print up a few hundred copies of my book and get a little advertisement for it, as well as making some lovely gifts for my supporters like this:

8c316e402838749572b13c8ec3a9e89b2b309d10.pjpeg

and this:

d5a26334282c035773b9c679e7ada6cd67de6e27.pjpeg

...as well as a book for anybody who donates over $20, but that can only happen if I get kickstarted. Check out the full project details here. (
http://www.kickstarter.co...ure-expecting-the-worst)

Now's your chance to help me bypass the system and get something out of it for yourself, so please consider donating. Even if you can't right now, helping me spread the word across all the internets works fine too. Any questions or comments, please feel free to put 'em in here.

rehost the pics, they are not working. 

Originally Posted by Kspar

Originally Posted by potus2028

8c316e402838749572b13c8ec3a9e89b2b309d10.pjpeg

and this:

d5a26334282c035773b9c679e7ada6cd67de6e27.pjpeg

http://www.kickstarter.co...ure-expecting-the-worst)

rehost the pics, they are not working. 

Found out copying/pasting the image links works better than the native NT pic hosting...I learned something today.

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

remember the kickstarter thread where OPs girl was tryna drive from Detroit to Rio De Janeiro?

laugh.gif
the hell? Was that successful...and if so, what was that presentation like?

Originally Posted by MissinPieces

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

Not a big fan of Kickstarter. Check out James Altucher and his views about publishing books.
^ what he said... here's a post with all the info you need & good luck

http://http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2011/05/why-and-how-i-self-published-a-book/

That article is actually what made me decide to go the self-pub route...I was waiting around for an agent/publisher like pretty much everybody else with a pen and a dream, but I made a thread on here about it before and another NTer put me on. After reading that and doing a little research, it seems the traditional publishing avenues are becoming a thing of the past anyway.

It's just that self-pub means self-print, self-advertise, self-design, etc...and those things cost heavy to do correctly. That's what the campaign is about. All I want to do is get my book out there and put a little promo under it, and I figured Kickstarter was a way for me to possibly do that while reward those who support me...I feel we deserve it.

Side note tho, any particular reason y'all don't mess with Kickstarter? Is it the general concept, a bad experience, is something not as advertised...I'd like to know.

I want to thank the folk in here (and yeah, in my inbox too) for all the feedback, positive and negative...I made some changes to the project and the thread and I think both are better because of it. Just wanted to say I appreciate it...and bump the thread (why lie, I need a beer).

Back
Top Bottom