Help me raise money for a cure for my disease, Diabetes and JDRF

frown.gif
please?

Not the best time to be asking for donations right now, B. There are people dying in Japan at this very second..

I'll donate when I get home. I'm diabetic as well. Charity doesn't look at the calendar, just do what you can for a good cause

Originally Posted by FOG

Not the best time to be asking for donations right now, B. There are people dying in Japan at this very second..
I understand this, and my money has gone to Japan. I am just looking to help find a cure for a disease that kills people every day. 
Thank you JPioneer

Originally Posted by FOG

More people die from Diabetes related complications yearly than any natural disaster, let the man fight for his cause.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by FOG

More people die from Diabetes related complications yearly than any natural disaster, let the man fight for his cause.
Thank you homie 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dr LukeMartin

Umm Diabetes can actually be prevented and controled in more than 80 percent of the cases. The majority of those in our country with diabetes do not maintain a stable diet or work out. I'll donate, but keep in mind that this is something that can be prevented in most cases.

As can heart disease, many cancers, and any other chronic illness with strong environmental risk factors. This doesn't make it any less serious of a medical issue or less deserving of treatment. I agree primary prevention should be the main focus ideally, but for several reasons in our society this simply doesn't work-especially amongst lower socioeconomic/minority groups where morbidity and mortality is higher.

[table][tr][td][/td][td]Home : Diabetes A-Z List of Topics and Titles : National Diabetes Statistics, 2011[table][tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td][h1]National Diabetes Statistics, 2011[/h1][h3]Fast Facts on Diabetes[/h3]
Diabetes affects 25.8 million people of all ages
8.3 percent of the U.S. population

DIAGNOSED
18.8 million people

UNDIAGNOSED
7.0 million people

• Among U.S. residents ages 65 years and older, 10.9 million, or 26.9 percent, had diabetes in 2010.
  • About 215,000 people younger than 20 years had diabetes—type 1 or type 2—in the United States in 2010.
  • About 1.9 million people ages 20 years or older were newly diagnosed with diabetes in 2010 in the United States.
  • In 2005–2008, based on fasting glucose or hemoglobin A1C (A1C) levels, 35 percent of U.S. adults ages 20 years or older had pre-diabetes—50 percent of adults ages 65 years or older. Applying this percentage to the entire U.S. population in 2010 yields an estimated 79 million American adults ages 20 years or older with pre-diabetes.
  • Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure, nontraumatic lower-limb amputations, and new cases of blindness among adults in the United States.
  • Diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and stroke.
  • Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States.
[Top]
[h3]Estimation Methods[/h3]
The estimates in this fact sheet were derived from various data systems of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Indian Health Service’s (IHS’s) National Patient Information Reporting System (NPIRS), the U.S. Renal Data System of theNational Institutes of Health (NIH), the U.S. Census Bureau, and published studies. The estimated percentages and the total number of people with diabetes and pre-diabetes were derived from 2005–2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES),2007–2009 National Health Interview Survey, 2009 IHS data, and 2010 U.S. resident population estimates. The diabetes and pre-diabetes estimates from NHANES were applied to the 2010 U.S. resident population estimates to derive the estimated number of adults with diabetes or pre-diabetes.

The methods used to generate the estimates for the fact sheet may vary over time and need to be considered before comparing fact sheets. In contrast to National Diabetes Statistics, 2007, which used fasting glucose data to estimate undiagnosed diabetes and pre-diabetes, National Diabetes Statistics, 2011 uses both fasting glucose and A1C levels to derive estimates for undiagnosed diabetes and pre-diabetes. These tests were chosen because they are most frequently used in clinical practice.

Detailed information about the data sources, methods, and references are available at www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/references11.htm.

[Top]
[h3]Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Diabetes among People Ages 20 Years or Older, United States, 2010[/h3][table][tr][td]Group[/td] [td]Number or percentage who have diabetes[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ages 20 years or older[/td] [td]25.6 million, or 11.3 percent, of all people in this age group[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ages 65 years or older[/td] [td]10.9 million, or 26.9 percent, of all people in this age group[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Men[/td] [td]13.0 million, or 11.8 percent, of all men ages 20 years or older[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Women[/td] [td]12.6 million, or 10.8 percent, of all women ages 20 years or older[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Non-Hispanic whites[/td] [td]15.7 million, or 10.2 percent, of all non-Hispanic whites ages 20 years or older[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Non-Hispanic blacks[/td] [td]4.9 million, or 18.7 percent, of all non-Hispanic blacks ages 20 years or older[/td] [/tr][/table]
Sufficient data are not available to estimate the total prevalence of diabetes—diagnosed and undiagnosed—for
other U.S. racial/ethnic minority populations.

[Top]
[h3]Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Diabetes[/h3]
DMStats2011-Chart1.jpg

Source: 2005–2008 National Health and NutritionExamination Survey

[Top]
[h3]Diagnosed Diabetes[/h3][h4]Diagnosed Diabetes amongPeople Younger than 20 Years ofAge, United States, 2010[/h4]
About 215,000 people younger than 20 years have diabetes—type 1 or type 2. This represents 0.26 percent of all people in this age group. Estimates of undiagnosed diabetes are unavailable for this age group.

[Top]
[h4]Racial and Ethnic Differences in Diagnosed Diabetes[/h4]
National estimates of diagnosed diabetes for some but not all minority groups are available from national survey data and from the IHS NPIRS, which includes data for about 1.9 million American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States who receive health care from the IHS. Differences in diabetes prevalence by race/ethnicity are partially attributable to age differences. Adjustment for age makes results from racial/ethnic groups more comparable.

Data from the 2009 IHS NPIRS indicate that 14.2 percent of American Indians and Alaska Natives ages 20 years or older who received care from the IHS had diagnosed diabetes. After adjusting for population age differences, 16.1 percent of the total adult population served by the IHS had diagnosed diabetes, with rates varying by region from 5.5 percent among Alaska Native adults to 33.5 percent among American Indian adults in southern Arizona.

After adjusting for population age differences, 2007–2009 national survey data for people ages 20 years or older indicate that 7.1 percent of non-Hispanic whites, 8.4 percent of Asian Americans, 11.8 percent of Hispanics/ Latinos, and 12.6 percent of non-Hispanic
blacks had diagnosed diabetes. Among Hispanics/Latinos, rates were 7.6 percent for both Cuban Americans and for Central and South Americans, 13.3 percent for Mexican Americans, and 13.8 percent for Puerto Ricans.

Compared with non-Hispanic white adults, the risk of diagnosed diabetes was 18 percent higher among Asian Americans, 66 percent higher among Hispanics/Latinos, and 77 percent higher among non-Hispanic blacks. Among Hispanics/Latinos compared
with non-Hispanic white adults, the risk of diagnosed diabetes was about the same for Cuban Americans and for Central and South Americans, 87 percent higher for Mexican Americans, and 94 percent higher for Puerto Ricans.

[Top]
[h3]New Cases of Diagnosed Diabetes[/h3]
DMStats2011-Chart2.jpg

Source: 2007–2009 National Health Interview Surveyestimates projected to the year 2010
[Top]
[h3]New Cases of Diagnosed Diabetes among People Younger than 20 Years of Age, United States, 2002–2005[/h3]
SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth is a multicenter study funded by the CDC and the NIH to examine diabetes—type 1 and type 2—among children and adolescents in the United States. SEARCH findings for the communities studied include the following:
  • During 2002–2005, 15,600 youth were newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes annually, and 3,600 youth were newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes annually.
  • Among youth ages younger than 10 years, the rate of new cases was 19.7 per 100,000 each year for type 1 diabetes and 0.4 per 100,000 for type 2 diabetes. Among youth ages 10 years or older, the rate of new cases was 18.6 per 100,000 each year fortype 1 diabetes and 8.5 per 100,000 for type 2 diabetes.
  • Non-Hispanic white youth had the highest rate of new cases of type 1 diabetes—24.8 per 100,000 per year among those younger than 10 years and 22.6 per 100,000 per year among those ages 10–19 years.
  • Type 2 diabetes was extremely rare among youth ages younger than 10 years. While still infrequent, rates were greater among youth ages 10–19 years than in younger children, with higher rates among U.S.minority populations than in non-Hispanicwhites.
  • Among non-Hispanic white youth ages 10–19 years, the rate of new cases was higher for type 1 than for type 2 diabetes. For Asian/Pacific Islander Americans and American Indian youth ages 10–19 years, the opposite was true—the rate of new cases was greater for type 2 than for type 1 diabetes. Among non-Hispanic black and Hispanic/Latino youth ages 10–19 years, the rates of new cases of type 1 and type 2 diabetes were similar.
DMStats2011-Chart3.jpg
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by JPioneer

Donated. It's a small amount but I'm a pretty poor student.

Yea I literally can't donate to anymore causes I'm broke as hell
ohwell.gif
but this is a good cause and a major health issue in this country.

Umm Diabetes can actually be prevented and controled in more than 80 percent of the cases. The majority of those in our country with diabetes do not maintain a stable diet or work out. I'll donate, but keep in mind that this is something that can be prevented in most cases.
type 2 maybe, yes. type 1? NO: http://www.endocrineweb.c...pe-1-diabetes-prevention
http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-1/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001350/

sorry dude. and you call yourself a doctor 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by neukicks

type 2 maybe, yes. type 1? NO: http://www.endocrineweb.c...pe-1-diabetes-prevention

30t6p3b.gif

Yea I didnt wanna bring this up cause the fact that it is "preventable" doesn't make type 2 any less of a problem.

30t6p3b.gif

Yea I didnt wanna bring this up cause the fact that it is "preventable" doesn't make type 2 any less of a problem.

you are very right. though i believe he should be educated to see what is is I am going for, and that there are major differences between the two. 

you are very right. though i believe he should be educated to see what is is I am going for, and that there are major differences between the two. 
Shun, I donated. Get off my back
thank you shun shun, I appreciate it!! I just wanted to clear it up thats all 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 thank you!!

diabetic as well, but we can wait till later for that. appreciate the post tho dawg

Back
Top Bottom