Help us build a library with Room to Read & earn a special badge for your account!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Awesome.

Donated.

just donated...

would love for there to be a couple of Libraries with the NikeTalk logo in Asia :lol: :smokin

Let this be a wonderful argument against anyone that uses the tired "it's just the internet, why so srs" argument. Yes, it's the internet, but that's the same internet that brings this many people together to achieve amazing things.

Lots of generous folks here. Almost half way to the goal already
pimp.gif
Yeah, the generosity of our fellow members has been evident and impressive.  I didn't expect us to do the same volume as we have with disaster relief fundraisers, but we're averaging more per contribution right now than in any previous drive.  

At the moment, the average contribution is over $30.  

We still have fewer than 50 different contributors right now, but all those $10, $25, and $100+ gifts are adding up in a hurry and we're now over 60% of the way towards our original goal in less than 24 hours. 

Last night, I heard from one of our friends at Room to Read and they were "floored" by NikeTalk's response.  We raised that first $1,000 in less than 10 hours.  I hope we can keep this up. 
I'll skip a couple runs to starbucks so kids can read
pimp.gif
When you put it that way, it's a pretty easy decision, right? 
EASY donation
Find more causes Meth
I can go for more badges
There's no shortage of causes, but it does take a certain type of crowdfunding system to make the badge awards possible - and, most of the time, those systems extract ADDITIONAL fees above credit card/paypal transaction costs.  (With Mercy Corps, our fundraising drives ran through their website rather than a third-party crowdfunding source, but not few organizations offer this service.) 

Efficiency matters.  I actually make the community contributions via check.  (A credit card transaction fee on $10,000 or $30,000 is pretty steep, and we want the nonprofits to receive every single penny they can - and the last thing I want to do is "donate" 3% to the big banks.)

This article contains a useful fee table to give you a good idea of what it costs just to contribute to your favorite charities:  http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/nonprofits/donate-charities-corporations/

We also want to ensure that contributors feel valued.  If we held a different drive every month, we'd quickly start to see signs of fatigue.  By reserving them for times of great need or great opportunity, each event can have greater impact and there's less chance of users feeling drained.

Given that we fund our community contributions through advertising revenue, we're all raising money for charity together with each and every visit.  

donated, NT is such a great community to be a part of.  Shout out to lobo to my beats for the badge designs.

Meth, I was reading over the contest guidelines and from what I see, it looks like we have to raise $5,000 in order to be eligible for the community match. Can you shed some light on this? :nerd:

Just saw this thread and made a donation. good looking out on the charity work by our NT fam :nthat:

Hopefully those that donated get a 5 minute head start on the NT hat launch. :nerd: Not srs Glad to help out for a good cause.

Semi srs :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom