Help us build a library with Room to Read & earn a special badge for your account!

Gotta wait til 2moro to donate the bonus.
Made too many purchases and my bank locked the card.

Fanduel :smh:
(If I win over 10K this weekend on Fanduel I will donate $1000.)
Wish me luck :D

I don't have a problem with donating, actually I was prepared to donated , but once I saw its for overseas I changed my mind

We have to many needed children here that need good homes, health care, good, school materials, playgrounds and other stuff then to worry about some oversea country and their kids.

I wouldn't mind donating it's a tax write off anyway but I wish it was for kids in the us

Good job anyways

Last edited:
Save your receipt nters, you should be able to claim this donation on your taxes

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with donating, actually I was prepared to donated , but once I saw its for overseas I changed my mind

We have to many needed children here that need good homes, health care, good, school materials, playgrounds and other stuff then to worry about some oversea country and their kids.

I wouldn't mind donating it's a tax write off anyway but I wish it was for kids in the us

Good job anyways

So I take it you donated the money you intended on donating to Room to Read elsewhere?

Good job anyways

If that's your opinion that's fine. To help needy children in any country is a good thing. But the only reason I can see for you to make this post is to be a troll :smh:

If that's your opinion that's fine. To help needy children in any country is a good thing. But the only reason I can see for you to make this post is to be a troll
mean.gif
Not at all , this is a forum where people can state their opinions and communicate. i was just wondering how others feel about it helping kids in other countries but not at home..

I mean see kids here that need shoes and books and school stuff that you know they do, but most of you probably wouldnt even buy them a pair of shes if they needed it

I dont know. None of my business i guess

Hey just direct us to the local organization you support as well and show us your contribution so we can follow your lead. A guy who can post his bank account (it's completely real bro, I believe you) can post a screen of his charitable donations too. But a man of your stature and income that dines at the finest of establishments can't share the wealth?

Last edited:
This dude superb is a clown.. Whether he is flexin his money or going on about how he knows all the stops about money etc... Yet he can't donate cause it's overseas ****

Last edited:

Donated 
nthat.gif
But I don't need the badge. Feel free to keep it.
It doesn't cost us anything, you know.  Unless you really don't want it, it also helps us get the word out about the fundraising drive.

And personally, one of the things I love most about @lobotomybeats  badge design is that every book you see around the site now represents REAL books in the hands of children thanks to Room to Read and our community's efforts.  
Gotta wait til 2moro to donate the bonus.
Made too many purchases and my bank locked the card.

Fanduel
mean.gif

(If I win over 10K this weekend on Fanduel I will donate $1000.)
Wish me luck
happy.gif
You may as well hold off until Tuesday - that's when the next challenge begins.
NOVEMBER 18 - NOVEMBER 25
Every organization is paired up with a "buddy organization." The top 10 buddy teams that raise the most this week will get $5,000 for each organization.
Room to Read's "buddy organization" will be Mothers2Mothers.  It'll be a challenge to out-earn the top teams, but the potential $5,000 bonus is well worth the effort.  I'm sure we'll talk more about this challenge next week.  

Good job anyways
I'm glad that you care about the needs of children in the United States, but I don't see why their lives matter any more than those of children in Africa or Asia, where Room to Read currently works.  

Take the pre-school we sponsored in Sri Lanka, for example:  http://niketalk.com/t/518486/thank-...k-room-to-read-build-a-preschool-in-sri-lanka

The people in Alankulam did not have a pre-school.  Theirs was destroyed during Sri Lanka's civil war.  Children (PREschool aged children) had to walk five kilometers to the nearest school.  

The United States has a great many problems and injustices.  That is not one of them.  

Even so, NikeTalk recently gave over $9,000 to the See Forever Foundation (Maya Angelou Schools) which works in low-income communities and correctional facilities, and we've also supported Harlem Children's Zone, Access Books, and domestic scholarship funds like the UNCF and, last year, the American Indian College Fund.  The Children's Defense Fund was selected as the beneficiary of the original NikeTalk fitted cap sales. 

You were, and are, welcome to join us in contributing to those causes. 

Unless you're in a very difficult financial situation yourself, it doesn't have to be a matter of either/or.  The need internationally is real and their lives are no less valuable or meaningful than those of children here at home.  I see no reason to proceed as though a contribution to one must necessarily come at the expense of another - unless, of course, you're giving 100% of your earnings exclusively to charity.  If that's not the case, then it could be argued that you're placing your own creature comforts ahead of the lives of children both domestically and abroad.  So, rather than pick on spending intended to help children in need, you could instead criticize spending intended to, say, show off by owning flashy and unnecessary, material goods.  

(Not that I encourage you to post up in the jewelry thread, the car thread, or any sneaker thread and start irritating people for their choices - I just want to point out that it's no less warranted than what you're attempting here.) 

Remember, too, that NikeTalk has always been internationally focused.  Our members hail from all over the world.  Nelson C is Canadian - and he's not ONCE complained to me that we care too much about people outside of his country.

To your final point, all contributors do receive a tax receipt.  You can list your contribution as a line-item deduction on your individual tax return.  It's really not as big of a deal as you seem to think.  However, it does allow you to give more efficiently, knowing that the full amount can go to the organization.  

Last edited:
Reactions: jjs

Good job anyways

So I take it you donated the money you intended on donating to Room to Read elsewhere?

He didn't, can bet on that

If that's your opinion that's fine. To help needy children in any country is a good thing. But the only reason I can see for you to make this post is to be a troll :smh:

Not at all , this is a forum where people can state their opinions and communicate. i was just wondering how others feel about it helping kids in other countries but not at home..

I mean see kids here that need shoes and books and school stuff that you know they do, but most of you probably wouldnt even buy them a pair of shes if they needed it

I dont know. None of my business i guess

And we also have a billion charities here in America for kids in need, if you want to see your money or items go to good use take all that money you claim to have to go donate items in need directly so you know it's being put to good use

Let's hear an excuse for that. I bet you have never even done any charity work in your life or even stepped inside of a homeless shelter (in b4 dude claims he was once homeless)

Last edited:
Just ignore dude. It's his view. We are here for a greater cause.

Donated! Already passed the goal. Good job Niketalk!!!

Just ignore dude. It's his view. We are here for a greater cause.

Donated! Already passed the goal. Good job Niketalk!!!

Yeah, if that's the way he feels that fine with me. I really have no problem with it. But the fact he felt the need to post about why he was not donating is just a troll move. All he had to do was decide he didn't want to donate and keep it moving. But you right this is a positive thread and I will keep it that way. This is my last post on this.
Anyway great job NT, let's keep this going :nthat:

Hey just direct us to the local organization you support as well and show us your contribution so we can follow your lead. A guy who can post his bank account (it's completely real bro, I believe you) can post a screen of his charitable donations too. But a man of your stature and income that dines at the finest of establishments can't share the wealth?
And we also have a billion charities here in America for kids in need, if you want to see your money or items go to good use take all that money you claim to have to go donate items in need directly so you know it's being put to good use

Let's hear an excuse for that. I bet you have never even done any charity work in your life or even stepped inside of a homeless shelter (in b4 dude claims he was once homeless)
I dont donate. Really never had the money like that until this year . But what I do do is volunteer and donate goods to kids. I had a back to school fair for kids that i sponsered at a restruant. i spent my own money on school bags,pencils, paper and etc. it was a success

I have and do volunteer often as well to directly help the poor and struggling united states citizens

Go funds website. if i see a kid need surgery that is here in the United States i donate..

We need to help our children here and focus on our next generation here. make sure they are fed well,clothes , school supplies and other goods to make sure they are successfull. Kids overseas will not contribute nothing to our society even when grown(America) 9 times out of 10. We need to focus on her generation here.

And to answer meth question those kids lives here are no more valuable then kids overseas but the kids here are MORE valuable to us (united States citizens) then those kids overseas who contribute nothing to our society. And I dont buy flashy stuff.  Never been a flashy person. Heck , I made over 200k this year and I still use coupons, I still shop at the dollar store, im a cheapskate...

But whatever like I say good job, if you want to helo kids overseas then that is your thing. im not knocking just trying to understand why

Last edited:
Yeah, if that's the way he feels that fine with me. I really have no problem with it. But the fact he felt the need to post about why he was not donating is just a troll move. All he had to do was decide he didn't want to donate and keep it moving. But you right this is a positive thread and I will keep it that way. This is my last post on this.
Anyway great job NT, let's keep this going
nthat.gif
 It was really a post to understand why people donate overseas. I knew the post would bring a discussion. But you know what, you thinking I was trolling is your opinion, just like me refusing to donate overseas is mines. We have to respect each person opinion

We need to help our children here and focus on our next generation here. make sure they are fed well,clothes , school supplies and other goods to make sure they are successfull. Kids overseas contribute nothing to our society 9 times out of 10. We need to focus on her generation here.

:stoneface:

society meaning America. When grown they work and pay there dues for their country not ours. They make there country money. Society building is done in their country.. I'm just saying our kids here when grown will be the contributers of our society which will help America grow and become a better place

I probably worded that 9 time statement 10 wrong

Like I never understood why celebsbuild schools and donate million overseas such as oprah and others

Why do even celebs adopt kids from overseas, where they are loving adorable kids here, that can be adopted and need to be

Just saying if i had the money to donate your last $50, would you guys donate here or overseas? Im sure for alot of you, this is your first donation of the year

Last edited:
Because people who grow up overseas don't dream of coming to America

But yea 9 times out of 10, you're correct :stoneface:

I'm down for making my home a better place, my country a better place and my World a better place...

Every little bit helps... Period.

#Donate :nthat:

You may as well hold off until Tuesday - that's when the next challenge begins.
Damn. I just donated before I saw this post.
Didnt win 10k so its just the $25. :frown:
Its all good tho.

When does the next challenge end again?

EDIT: NVM. I see it November 25th

Last edited:
society meaning America. When grown they work and pay there dues for their country not ours. They make there country money. Society building is done in their country.. I'm just saying our kids here when grown will be the contributers of our society which will help America grow and become a better place

I probably worded that 9 time statement 10 wrong

Like I never understood why celebsbuild schools and donate million overseas such as oprah and others

Why do even celebs adopt kids from overseas, where they are loving adorable kids here, that can be adopted and need to be

Just saying if i had the money to donate your last $50, would you guys donate here or overseas? Im sure for alot of you, this is your first donation of the year
I can kind of understand where you're coming from BUT you fail to realize a few things that have already been explained to you on this page.

1. Not everyone on NT is from the US. I am. You are. But not everyone is. So to say we need to donate our funds "here"...where is here? To C Nelson its Canada.
You are only looking at it from your perspective.

2. This is the charity drive that we as a community are supporting this year.
But as Meth explained we have ONGOING charity drives that focus on organizations serving citizens of the US.
Feel free anytime to go donate to one of those drives if you want to contribute to a charity drive that NT is participating in.

3. According to you, you are already donating your time and efforts to the children in your community and of the US.
So since your efforts have been localized to this country why not help out some kids in another country?
They deserve our assistance just as much and in MANY cases much more than the kids here in the US.

Some of these kids dont have clean water or even a school to go to.
Those are some 3rd world problems, whereas kids here might pass up a water fountain to get their favorite beverage from a vending machine.
Humans are humans b. Doenst matter where they come from, or who they will support when they grow older.

4. Any little amount helps. And as you so serendipitously mentioned earlier, you made over 200K this year. (Congrats btw)
But I believe as we make more we should do more.(dont agree? read the 1st 3 words of that sentence)
So while $25 or $50 certainly wont put a significant strain on your lifestyle, it DOES make a significant difference in the lives of the kids we are helping.

So to answer your question, these are the reasons why we are donating overseas.
Still dont agree, then as an American you have the right to not enter this thread ever again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom