Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
you’re correct about dead viruses. “Dead”/inactivated viruses are the basis of the majority of vaccines: our immune system can recognize/“read” the virus details and create a lasting immune response but without having to worry about the virus actually causing an infection and killing us lol. Dead viruses are mostly harmless.

theoretically a non-living surface would be clear after a few hours. My friend actually asked me about this way back in February because he got a package from wuhan :lol:

if it helps your peace of mind, a once over with a disinfectant wipe is fine.

Also sent him this gif back in february :lol:
753eggEmFf0ukSqGrQunCnrcKT4=.gif

also, username checks out :nerd:

This is just referring to packages not surfaces or objects like I was curious about. There is still conflicting info But I would still be inclined to believe that it doesn’t spread easily or survive on surfaces much. I remember a few months ago reports saying that there were traces of COVID found on food packaging imported to China from Ecuador. That’s a long journey.

My question was more about what to do with something that was previously exposed a long time ago. Washing hands with soap kills the virus and then water washes it off. If the virus is already dead is washing it off with just water Sufficient? And if it’s an object we handle is it ok to touch it without having to disinfect it or wash your own hands after?
You’re saying that a dead virus may actually cause an immune response if introduced

it's not going to get you infected. not after a few hours or a few days and definitely not after weeks. the virus doesn't survive that long unless it's been in a deep freeze.

but, for peace of mind if you insist, wash it with soap and water (if it can get wet) or wipe it down with some ethanol. but neither is necessary.

Might be a silly question and I know that the virus is always evolving but why are there so many new strains coming up at the same time i know some of these new strains have been around for a while but why are they being noticed now because of better testing ?
is it because of the cold weather in the US and Europe ?
im sure no one knows the answer

Might be a silly question and I know that the virus is always evolving but why are there so many new strains coming up at the same time i know some of these new strains have been around for a while but why are they being noticed now because of better testing ?

I think it's just what this sort of virus does - flu is similar, each year there are slightly different strains, and different ones in different parts of the world. That's why if you read the label of your flu vaccine it tells you what strains it covers - they're pretty good at predicting what is useful.

This is more contagious so is moving around more - and obviously it's now being tested for.

I'm far from a conspiracy nut in this but I'm not sure that the new strains are really the issue - that seems to be a convenient scapegoat for governments. The bigger issue is people not behaving appropriately and things like schools being in-person without masks etc - kids will generally be okay but that's a huge vector for transmission to their family - and then the whole thanksgiving/Christmas thing came around at a bad time and the numbers went up.

This is just referring to packages not surfaces or objects like I was curious about. There is still conflicting info But I would still be inclined to believe that it doesn’t spread easily or survive on surfaces much. I remember a few months ago reports saying that there were traces of COVID found on food packaging imported to China from Ecuador. That’s a long journey.

My question was more about what to do with something that was previously exposed a long time ago. Washing hands with soap kills the virus and then water washes it off. If the virus is already dead is washing it off with just water Sufficient? And if it’s an object we handle is it ok to touch it without having to disinfect it or wash your own hands after?
You’re saying that a dead virus may actually cause an immune response if introduced

ah I getcha. Well you can consider surfaces and packages the same they’re just temporary inanimate spots for the virus particles to chill before they either move on to infect or die, still would be a few hours. If traces of virus lasted that long on a box then there was either a lot of virus on it, or shipping conditions made it ideal for survival (ie some organisms thrive in hot or cold).

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long...~:text=The length of time varies,up to 5 days. I underestimated the survival time but it looks like for the most part it’s up to a few days max and depending on the type of surface.

for skin yeah water is better than nothing but a dead virus can’t infect you. As for touching things I would assume transmission is very low that way but at the same time I wash or sanitize my hands every time I touch anything nowadays lol.

my virology/immunology is lacking because I hate it lol but as far as I can tell a dead virus would have to be injected and induce an immune response for anything to happen. A live virus that gets inside via say inhalation would get to work and infect cells. A dead virus most likely would get cleared out by your respiratory system. This is my current understanding but I’m about to go on a research rabbit hole lol so if I find conflicting info I’ll post it up.

my grandmother took 73 trips around our Sun.

she survived the violent racism of the midcentury South, birthed her daughter in a segregated hospital, lived out her life in relative poverty, and slowly died in a nursing home.

fitting, if tragic, that this nation's final insults to her were the same that shaped her life.

I still disinfect packages and grocieries, just on the safe side. Mad dirt be coming off those packages anyways. I also steam new clothing before I wear it. Im sure letting it sit for a day or two is enough but steaming gives me some peace of mind. This new handheld steamer I got is A1. **** is hot af on turbo mode.

Quite simply, it’s due to natural evolutionary pressures. The more virus that is circulating, the more chances there are for mutations. The more measures we take that stop a particular strain from spreading will cause only the most infectious strains to spread, which is why you hear them saying the new strains are more contagious. The leading theories for significant mutations occurring are that it occurred in an animal host which then passed back to humans, and/or in immune compromised individuals where the virus remained active for a long time and mutated continuously in order to remain viable and escape the immune system.

Here’s a really good article about the subject

Last edited:
ah I getcha. Well you can consider surfaces and packages the same they’re just temporary inanimate spots for the virus particles to chill before they either move on to infect or die, still would be a few hours. If traces of virus lasted that long on a box then there was either a lot of virus on it, or shipping conditions made it ideal for survival (ie some organisms thrive in hot or cold).

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces#:~:text=The length of time varies,up to 5 days. I underestimated the survival time but it looks like for the most part it’s up to a few days max and depending on the type of surface.

for skin yeah water is better than nothing but a dead virus can’t infect you. As for touching things I would assume transmission is very low that way but at the same time I wash or sanitize my hands every time I touch anything nowadays lol.

my virology/immunology is lacking because I hate it lol but as far as I can tell a dead virus would have to be injected and induce an immune response for anything to happen. A live virus that gets inside via say inhalation would get to work and infect cells. A dead virus most likely would get cleared out by your respiratory system. This is my current understanding but I’m about to go on a research rabbit hole lol so if I find conflicting info I’ll post it up.
I’m pretty much fishing for answers these days. I tend to come up with so many of these “gray area” Questions with detail and can never find a sure answer. I like asking them on here because it helps me better understand the question since there is no difinitive answer.
Quite simply, it’s due to natural evolutionary pressures. The more virus that is circulating, the more chances there are for mutations. The more measures we take that stop a particular strain from spreading will cause only the most infectious strains to spread, which is why you hear them saying the new strains are more contagious. The leading theories for significant mutations occurring are that it occurred in an animal host which then passed back to humans, and/or in immune compromised individuals where the virus remained active for a long time and mutated continuously in order to remain viable and escape the immune system.
I was wondering what is meant by by “more contagious variant” It’s being thrown around a lot but no definition as to how it is more contagious. Like do they mean more contagious because of R rate this infecting more people or that it spreads more by touch or that It penetrates masks more.

I’m pretty much fishing for answers these days. I tend to come up with so many of these “gray area” Questions with detail and can never find a sure answer. I like asking them on here because it helps me better understand the question since there is no difinitive answer.

I was wondering what is meant by by “more contagious variant” It’s being thrown around a lot but no definition as to how it is more contagious. Like do they mean more contagious because of R rate this infecting more people or that it spreads more by touch or that It penetrates masks more.

My understanding is that there are changes to the spike proteins that allow them to more easily bind to our cell receptors. The longer it takes them to bind and infect cells, the more chance there is that our immune system will detect them as foreign and neutralize them or they will become inactivated and be unable to infect cells. I have not seen evidence that they get through masks easier or remain on surfaces longer.

the more it spreads around and infects folks gives it more chances to mutate. so IMO recent spikes as well as better testing and awareness gives us recognition of new strains

No direct link between vaccine and elderly deaths in Norway, though their conditions may have been too severe for them to survive the natural side effects of vaccination.

I know there were some people talking about indoor air purifiers and I came across this video with a really good discussion about them (among other topics related to indoor air quality)

Back
Top Bottom