HIRING RECRUITER SPARKS OUTRAGE AFTER REVEALING SHE OFFERED A CANDIDATE $45,000 LESS THAN THE JOB SALARY

HIRING RECRUITER SPARKS OUTRAGE AFTER REVEALING SHE OFFERED A CANDIDATE $45,000 LESS THAN THE JOB SALARY

A hiring recruiter sparked outrage online after posting on LinkedIn that she offered a job candidate $45,000 less than the hiring budget because the individual did not negotiate for a higher salary.

In a tweet that now has more than 215,000 likes, user @TE_AMO_COURT shared a screenshot of the LinkedIn post, which was written by recruiter Mercedes S Johnson, with the caption: “There are two types of ppl in this world smh.”

In the LinkedIn post, Johnson says that she offered a candidate $85,000 for a job that had a budget of $130,000. “I offered her that because that’s what she asked for and I personally don’t have the bandwidth to give lessons on salary negotiation,” Johnson wrote in her post.

1643730620987.png

it should be a federal law for all companies to show what the exact pay range is when a job is listed.

Can you post the full article/tweet?

So what’s the issue here? Poor negotiation skills on the part of the candidate, or the recruiter bragging that she shortchanged someone.

I don’t follow.

I’ve always heard of people asking for ex $55k and being offered $70k.. like ‘they gave me more than what I asked for’

Essentially those hiring are capping out (or potentially) whatever budget they have. And that’s how it should be. It’s not their money.

So what’s the issue here? Poor negotiation skills on the part of the candidate, or the recruiter bragging that she shortchanged someone.

I don’t follow.

It’s tough out there. Maybe they felt if they lowballed themselves they would get the job over others? If you ask for too much, they could just laugh at you all the way out the building.

The only way I can see this happening is if said interviewee was just rage applying and didn’t see the pay range.

I don’t follow.

You Are Right That It Is Negligent On The Candidates Part To Not Be Informed.

But It's Also Eyebrow Raising That A Business Would Do Something Unethical Like This.

I've Actually Seen This Though At A Company Before Where

One Guy Got Hired At 150k, Fired In Three Weeks, Then They Filled His Position To Someone Else At 120k.

This kind of thing happens pretty often in some fields. Whether or not this example is true is one thing, but transparpency about salaries has been something that corporations have hid behind and benefitted from for years.

Hell, it doesn't even need to be that the interviewee doesn't understand salary ranges in the field. Some people just don't go into interviews with the mindstate to request or demand more.

Gotta be a troll job.

How does person in any field not know how much their position pays?

I could see maybe a few grand short but $40k?

Aint no way.
This happens often. wage and salary vary state to state. Applicant could have been from a part of the country where they pay less for her skills and moved to a bigger city where salary is more to keep up with cost of living. another example pharmacist get paid more at retail locations like cvs and rite aid straight outta school than pharmacist at hospitals (in ny at least)

You Are Right That It Is Negligent On The Candidates Part To Not Be Informed.

But It's Also Eyebrow Raising That A Business Would Do Something Unethical Like This.

I've Actually Seen This Though At A Company Before Where

One Guy Got Hired At 150k, Fired In Three Weeks, Then They Filled His Position To Someone Else At 120k.
This brings up another scenario ....the person in the example asked for 85k because they didnt know the salary range/their worth whatever whatever. Theres a 2nd candidate, equally as qualified, but they knew all this and asked for 130k. You telling me, all things equal between the 2 candidates, the company is gonna pay an extra 45k? Man theyre paying the 85k lol

This happens often. wage and salary vary state to state. Applicant could have been from a part of the country where they pay less for her skills and moved to a bigger city where salary is more to keep up with cost of living. another example pharmacist get paid more at retail locations like cvs and rite aid straight outta school than pharmacist at hospitals (in ny at least)
I'm surprised people don't think this is common. Out of towners, young folks, minorities etc. To someone coming from an area making 12 an hour, 85 sounds like a dream and unethical folks with nothing to gain take advantage. I don't see what kinda extra bandwidth you need to tell the candidate the range.

85K was probably life changing for the candidate. I remember my biggest bump to date in my career was an almost 100% increase. I took it AND ran. Could I have gotten 10-20k more? probably. But why? It was more than enough for me at the time and I was blessed.

Shame on the recruiter for outing this individual. She is a moron and confirms my belief that HR employees are the scourge of the corporate world.

Also that recruiter/interviewer probably got a nice pat on the back for saving the company money on that hire. A percentage probably going into her yearly bonus even. Just business even if it is a ****ty practice I couldn’t do to somebody else.

So this is why all the recruiters on LinkedIn are currently posting all their little stories about them getting more than asking salary for people. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom