Holiday BBQs: w/ ur fam or ur girls?

I have a big close knit family and I prefer to be with them for all events. My family is down to earth and we have a good time together. My girl's familyis spread out with some in the Chicago area. For me it's easy, but since we found out she's pregnant she has been going on and on that we are only withmy family for the holidays.

For NTers (men and women) in serious relationships, how do you handle holidays? Do you split, alternate or dominate?

just go to both... go to your fams BBQ for a lil while... then make an appearance at hers...

pretty simple

I guess it is simple EB, but I am so damn stubborn. It feels like I'm compromising so much. Her mom and 2 sisters live like 4 hours aaway and I havealready determined that I'm not making that trip for any major holiday. I could do a random weekend maybe.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

just go to both... go to your fams BBQ for a lil while... then make an appearance at hers...

pretty simple

and if she's complaining about you two spending too much time at your family's, spend a few extra hours at her fam's place to get her to shuuuut up

My cousin alternates b/w our family and his. So thanksgiving with us means xmas with them. And it switches the next time. His family lives about 3 or 4 hoursaway. Sometimes, they will go a day early to his family and see them for half the day and drive back and spend the night with us. They have to split it up somuch because they have 2 little kids, and everyone wants to see them.

I just don't want to end up like some others I know that abandon their families for their in laws. I mean her g-ma is cool, I can drink a Budweiser or twowith her.Her auntie lives in the west suburbs (my laziness really hits this one). Her pops don't be on nothing.

I know I gotta give more cause her fam will want to see the kids just like mine. I think her mom and sisters are coming up for Christmas though cause there isno way I will put two newborns on a 5 hr roadtrip less than a month after they are born.

I gotta get my bread so that I can just bring both families to our home and everyone is happy.

Originally Posted by arrjae

fam first!
then your girls...
obviously you are not in a serious relationship.
indifferent.gif

OP....split holidays. Go to one fam for Christmas another for Thanksgiving. Rotate it. Also since she is pregs you might want to start to form your own familytraditions at your place. This gives both families an opportunity to come by.

Grizzly, she has been w/o her family on holidays before and I don't think she is as close to hers as I am to mine. An example being that she is morewilling to move away and start over elsewhere whereas I'm not leaving my loved ones.

In my family we always go to my maternal g-ma's for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 2 of my 3 married uncles will split time on both holidays. The other willjust let his wife go sometimes cause he wanna stay with us.

It's tough folks cause you all don't know my family or the love I have for them. Maybe we can go to bbqs for Pulaski day or Presidents day to satisfyher.

Another reason (selfish maybe) is that I have no one to watch sports with in her family. Her pops spotty in his sports game.

I understand you. I am close to my fam as well. I spent every holiday with them....when I was single. Things changed after I got older. That is because my girlis close to her peeps as well. She also has very close friends. If your girl is cool with it this thread is useless. But right now you sound selfish and like aMomma's boy. No offense. Man should cling to his wife and children. Not to loose the importance of his maternal family, but it is important to let her knowthat she and her wants are important. Based on your response, if she wants to go to a family member's home for a change you should have no argument. Youhave always gone to yours.

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Originally Posted by arrjae

fam first!
then your girls...
obviously you are not in a serious relationship.
indifferent.gif

in my previous relationships, ive taken my girl to my familys bbqs, or family 'outings',
then we would go to hers...
or vice versa....

Go to both, but go to the crib with the best food first, fill up, then go to the wack food house and say you're stuffed.

just go to hers...that way you could be with your family for 4th of july

gotta think a head...a small holiday spend with her family the big ones spend with yours...until she catches on lol

you sound like you're whining OP...i understand you're tight with your family but she is bout to have a baby...or two...twins?

you don't think you could sacrifice a lil time to let your girl be with her family...alot of women like to be around their mothers while they'repregnant cuz she's been there and can be there for her...its not the same with someone else family...

Back
Top Bottom