Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

indorphin indorphin did u do the fha new home buyer education? its like 99 bucks

I didn't. From the description I just Googled it sounds like they teach very rudimentary principles.

I'm actually doing a real estate license course rn in my spare time. If I feel like it I can see it all the way through and test with the State. If I don't, it was only $71 and I already learned a **** ton.

I believe you can now build 2 ADUS in Los Angeles city all within 60 days plan check. No more delaying plan checks.

I hate the permit process. Expensive and luck of the draw with getting a **** head inspector like I did.

Make sure you want to share space.

What do folks who live in high mosquito population areas do to control these little f***s?

I live in CT and have a problem with them every summer. I bought this little contraption from Home Depot last year called "Thermacell" to put on my deck. It works pretty well at keeping them away in my opinion. A lot better than some of the other products out there.

I live in CT and have a problem with them every summer. I bought this little contraption from Home Depot last year called "Thermacell" to put on my deck. It works pretty well at keeping them away in my opinion. A lot better than some of the other products out there.

Funny you say that I was browsing reddit and a handful of people also mentioned the Thermacell, saying it's endorsed by the military. Probably going to get one.

The only other way that received positive feedback was burning charcoal for 10 hours to attract them to the CO2 and then placing a large shop fan with a screen on the back of it to trap them and then spray with alcohol. Sounded like too much effort TBH :lol:

Not sure if this is the right thread
But I bought my home a couple years ago
And it needs the pool fixed I’ve been putting it off because I can’t swim but now I’m at the point where It can boost the value up a lot if I fix it

has anyone did big repairs like this themselves or is just best to take the L and call a company
It’s 5,000 to fix if I call a company but roughly 1200 if I do it myself

Our starter home journey. We purchased a 2 bedroom home in Montclair NJ last year for 385k. My Gf was living in Harlem paying $1700 for a studio and I was in Hackensack paying $1450 for a 1 bedroom. The mortgage all in is $2800.
Taxes are low because it's a 2 bedroom (9k vs $16k for 3 bedroom. And the backyard is big enough for an annex of we stay longer than 5 years, although we would never sell the home.

Our dream is to eventually own a condo in Manhattan, we quickly found currently they're outside of our budget at $600k+ and very low inventory.

A few buying factors

1. Direct train to NYC within walking distance - since my girlfriend works in Manhattan. The home is a 2 blocks away and in 40 mins we arrive to Penn Station. Also as similar young couples outgrow their NYC homes, we see Montclair being a spot for values to increase since the town has 4 NJ Tranit train stations, the most of any town.

2. Diversity - Being Latinos we wanted a town that had people of color that represented us. We initially looked at Newark and the homes needed a lot of work and were a car drive to a train station. Surprisingly very low inventory as well.

3. Downtown - a vibrant downtown with byob restaurants, an indie movie theater (only theater in NJ showing Parasite), a performing center (seen Ghostface Killah and Snoop Dogg shows for $15 and walked home afterwards).

Non-negotiables
1. 1/2 bathroom on first floor for guests
2. Good size Yard
3. Driveway wide enough for 2 cars so to avoid backing up for a 2nd car

Photos below. Since we've moved in 15 months ago, there's been 12 renovations within a 3 blocks radius. Everyone is starting to realize that location is amazing with a 5 min walk to the NYC train and downtown. There some downsides with noise and more cars but that's the price for accessibility.

Photos
20181121_123616_HDR~2.jpg

20181121_124309_HDR.jpg

20181121_121534.jpg

Basement before and after. Added a full shower, kitchenette, carpet to tile flooring and removed expensive baseboard heating for a ductless unit. We wanted it to be a studio apartment for potential Airbnb income when we retire.
20181121_122601.jpg

20190308_180604.jpg

20190504_114352.jpg

20181121_123255.jpg

20190504_113756.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. My girlfriend works in tech and her company just announced work from home until the end of year.

Hopefully they used the term “work from anywhere”

Most will have similar guidelines and hopefully move to WFA in the next few years - why would they not help their bottom lines?

If i can get a loan for 5% down payment with no PMI is it worth it? It’s a first time home buyer program for people making under a certain amount ($170k).

The house price is about $875k. For a 1 bedroom 1 bath lol. Bay Area is crazy. But the lot is beautiful and we don’t care about it being 1 bedroom 1 bath all that much.

If i can get a loan for 5% down payment with no PMI is it worth it? It’s a first time home buyer program for people making under a certain amount ($170k).

The house price is about $875k. For a 1 bedroom 1 bath lol. Bay Area is crazy. But the lot is beautiful and we don’t care about it being 1 bedroom 1 bath all that much.
Why would u buy a house for 875k
That only has 1 bed and 1 bath
Then asking us if it’s a good deal
Use common sense man

Wait I just peeped u said WE
as in u and someone else
Rub u never know what will happen in life
A 1 bedroom aint it
At all

Any other catches to it? Like other fee's instead of a PMI?

If no to the above and your getting a good fixed rate or a low adjustable rate. Sounds like a winner to me.

Any other catches to it? Like other fee's instead of a PMI?

If no to the above and your getting a good fixed rate or a low adjustable rate. Sounds like a winner to me.

I took a initial read thru and it seems not. It’s truly a program by the county to help normal people buy a house and not really ding them with fees etc. Yep, the rate part is what I don’t know but they probably can’t advertise a universal rate. My wife and I have a 800+ credit score so think we’ll get wtv is fixed market rate right now.

And to all the 1 bedroom comments. We currently live in a studio and we also lived in Asia together in a tiny tiny studio for 2 years. This would be by far the biggest place of our own we’ve ever lived lol. Both of us care a lot more about the yard and lot and the space from us the to neighbors. The place seems big enough to fairly reasonably add another room somewhere down the line.

Back
Top Bottom