Honda heads, come in please.

I'm trading my dad my Volvo for a rebuilt sixth gen EX this weekend. I know theres plenty of places to get info on these but I wanted to ask you guys how you felt about them. This will be my first venture into real modification besides the full exhaust and a little motor work on my Volvo and a BMW. Going from turbo to VTEC is gonna be painful.

Any common problems you've run into? Recommended swaps? Where can I get some cheap WORK wheels?
nerd.gif

Anyone running Hondata here? Also link me to a well populated forum..

keep it a single cammer jammer, with light mods they can fly. And you don'twant $%+! from the cops if you have a swap.
is it stick? i got a ride in my friends auto dx 4 door and the torque in that thing was amazing for a 30 hp engine lol

supposedly its stock but withzex 59300 cam mod.

I'm looking for a 4 door and im planning to do a junkyard turbo setup. I heard you can run 10 psi safely on an untuned engine, but I'll find out soon
laugh.gif

read up on honda tech you will get alot of info. You can turbo the motor in it or swap it for a number of diff motors its all about how much you wanna spend. lots of diff options with hondas if you have any ? ill try to answer or post a link

Sixth gen, EJ8 code I think. 5sp coupe.

There will be no fart cans or random @%!#$%%#. All I need is a nice drop, wheels, very simple lip kit, and a little engine tuning. I don't wanna turbo it but I want to make about the same HP (185-200 range) all motor.

Thanks for the input so far, checking out Honda Tech now.

No pics until I pick it up this weekend. I wanna start a build thread but I don't wanna be another Neek
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

There will be no fart cans or random @%!#$%%#. All I need is a nice drop, wheels, very simple lip kit, and a little engine tuning. I don't wanna turbo it but I want to make about the same HP (185-200 range) all motor.

No pics until I pick it up this weekend. I wanna start a build thread but I don't wanna be another Neek
laugh.gif
no way you can pull out 185hp all motor on a single cam... youd need a turbo to touch those numbers my boy... single cam motors are slow as hell, thus being a single cam... most honda motors arent quick when its all motor unless its the k series or newer models. 

Si kit was already first choice
smokin.gif
your posts in the stance thread basically helped cement this. Spending thousands on my Volvo just wasnt in the cards.

yeah the motor not being to handle that power was my main reason for asking about swaps and Hondata. I'm thinking a small turbo would be more cost efficient though. Honda scene got me lost, I'm still learning.

If you want 185-200 all motor you are gonna need to go with

Bseries motor with some engine work
type r motor might get you in the area b18c5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

That would be the most straight foward swap after that you can do the h or k series but they require more work to be put in your car but would be worth it. It has been done many times so dont let me discourage your choice but the b swap is so easy.

Damn I have a lot of reading to do. I was looking into B series last night, and now I see that the GSR motor is indeed in that series. Guess if I go with the swap that should be my goal.

That's after coils and wheels though
laugh.gif
maybe fresh paint. New money pit. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Originally Posted by filipin0y

laugh.gif
no way you can pull out 185hp all motor on a single cam... youd need a turbo to touch those numbers my boy... single cam motors are slow as hell, thus being a single cam... most honda motors arent quick when its all motor unless its the k series or newer models. 

Yea you can but its a bit of work.
don't forget audio, too.

Hopefully op has a safe place to park it.

Damn I have a lot of reading to do. I was looking into B series last night, and now I see that the GSR motor is indeed in that series. Guess if I go with the swap that should be my goal.

That's after coils and wheels though
laugh.gif
maybe fresh paint. New money pit. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Lol deff a money pit but if you go slow and do it yourself it will be worth it to know you did it yourself. GSR is a good platform to build off maybe some headwork(cams springs retainers etc) you should be able to pull 200. gl with it let us know

Audio is taken care of. 2 Alpine type S out of my Volvo, 2din Alpine deck ordered. Don't even think I'm gonna need both subs
laugh.gif

I'll be doing my own work with pops and a few friends assistance. Thanks again.

GSR motor OP
or just get an SI

edit: tint them windows too OP the less they see the better

Originally Posted by SamDUH562

GSR motor OP
or just get an SI

Im pretty sure he has the car picked out already but an si wouldnt be bad at all already vtec head he could have went lsv

%#%% what everybody else says about a swap, the d16y8 you got is already a good platform. People always underestimate d series motors, since youre already accustom to boost, i'd suggest you go the turbo route. You can easily build a kit well under a grand. Check out turbod16.com and d-series.org, tons of great info thatll lead you in the right direction. GL with your car, i had the exact same car back in HS and still miss it to this day.

whoops looks like turbod16 isnt up no more, but dseries is still up and running.

Si lip kit is a definite yes. I want a similar look to that car. I've loved Works since the Tokyo Extreme Racer days
laugh.gif
I was thinking those or BBS RS coated in maybe red.

P7vND.jpg

dew want.

Beacon ave thanks for the links bro. I'm so used to Euro parts and theyre expensive as %%+%, knowing I can do a decent build for under a g is awesome. My damn radiator was like $700
laugh.gif

You can take it to 200 hp with a snail in the d-series, but it's gonna sound like a lawnmower (srs). I'd say go with B-series swap (just be careful of some of the hot motors they have listed sometimes) that way you won't have to mess with the ECU like you would if you did a K-series (convert from OBD1 -> OBD2) and have to buy expensive #%+ mounts and all the other things more expensive associated with the K-series....but I will say the potential in that engine is a lot greater than the B. Hell, if you want something that'll be cheaper than a swap, just do an LS/VTEC. B20 bottom end with a B16 top is pretty common and they say even faster than just the B16

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

B20 bottom end with a B16 top is pretty common and they say even faster than just the B16

i was interested in a 91 civic hatch with a b20 vtec
no power steering or a/c  tho 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
 and that's what you're gonna sacrifice for that engine. 

but i could have had Porsche's, vettes, mustangs running in fear.

Back
Top Bottom