Horry: Popovich Is Better Than Jackson

The San Antonio Express-News -
Robert Horry has enough championship experience to know what he's talking about when it comes to Hall of Fame coaches, and he believes Gregg Popovich is better than Phil Jackson, according to The San Antonio Express-News.

Three of Horry's seven championship rings came under Jackson in Los Angeles.

"Phil wouldn't yell at the top dogs," Horry said. "Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That's the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil."

"If you'd have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he'd have more rings than Phil," Horry added.
[READ]
laugh.gif
If's, if's, if's...

Pop's a great coach but PJ>>>>Pop.
Opinions...

Um....PJ is about equal to Pop to me. Both are great coaches, it's a toss-up.

This thread reeks of bias.

Originally Posted by Jason23Richardson

Phil had

Kobe & MICHAEL JORDAN

but Phil is better cause he has swagger. Popovich has a messed up cheek, so yeah.

More like Shaq & MJ..not Kobe.

I'm gonna say Phil because he's better at dealing with big ego players. Pop has been underrated for years but Phil is the better coach when it comes todealing with players..

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Phil had

Kobe & MICHAEL JORDAN

but Phil is better cause he has swagger. Popovich has a messed up cheek, so yeah.

More like MJ, Shaq, and Kobe.

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Phil had

Kobe & MICHAEL JORDAN

More like MJ, Shaq, and Kobe.

Phil's only Finals MVPs are Shaq and MJ.

as of right now, Kobe hasn't "won" anything for him

Popovich had Duncan and got 4... so that's like Shaq getting Phil 3. now give Jordan and the 90s Bulls to Popovich, no way he doesn't get at least 3more.

Phil has had MJ, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe.

Pop has had Duncan and Robinson.

I agree with Horry, if Pop had those other players, he would have more rings by now.

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

I'm gonna say Phil because he's better at dealing with big ego players. Pop has been underrated for years but Phil is the better coach when it comes to dealing with players..

That's why Phil get the edge imo. Pop is right up there but PJ has all those rings. Coaches like Jerry Sloan and Don Nelson could have rings if wewent by Horry's logic.

What is the POINT of these type of comments? I swear these dudes act like some got damn females with the stuff that they say to the media. WHY even saysomething like that?

I really don't want to use a coach's players to judge their success, but when you have Michael & Scottie then Kobe & Shaq, all in their prime, I don't see how you could just omit that from the argument.

It really is an if if situation.
Phil had Jordan, Scottie, Shaq, Kobe
Pop had Robinson, Duncan, Parker, Ginobli

It really is a toss up. Phil had the players = more chips. Pop had two great players, and two very good players, which = less chips than Phil.

I dont think one is any better than the other.

Originally Posted by E3LAL

Robert Horry has enough championship experience to know what he's talking about when it comes to Hall of Fame coaches, and he believes Gregg Popovich is better than Phil Jackson, according to The San Antonio Express-News.

"Phil wouldn't yell at the top dogs," Horry said. "Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That's the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil."

"If you'd have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he'd have more rings than Phil," Horry added.
[READ]
laugh.gif
If's, if's, if's...
Pop's a great coach but PJ>>>>>Pop.
Opinions...

he is better. if pop was coaching the lakers, kobe and shaq would just shut the hell up, put away their beef, and play ball and you get a 6-7 yr dynasty.phil was too loosy goosy. he always had a lot of talent to compete.

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

It really is an if if situation.
Phil had Jordan, Scottie, Shaq, Kobe
Pop had Robinson, Duncan, Parker, Ginobli

It really is a toss up. Phil had the players = more chips. Pop had two great players, and two very good players, which = less chips than Phil.

I dont think one is any better than the other.

you seriously put Manu on a list with MJ, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, David Robinson, Duncan, and Parker?

Originally Posted by nyk buc

Originally Posted by E3LAL

[READ]
laugh.gif
If's, if's, if's...
Pop's a great coach but PJ>>>>>Pop.
Opinions...

he is better. if pop was coaching the lakers, kobe and shaq would just shut the hell up, put away their beef, and play ball and you get a 6-7 yr dynasty. phil was too loosy goosy. he always had a lot of talent to compete.

Thats a really good point. I never looked at that side of the argument. Nobody can really say what would have happened if pop were the coach. But i get thefeeling that he could have kept kobe and shaq together.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Yeah, because Popovich didn't have talent.

They're not debating whether or not Pop has had talent, he has, but compared to Phil? Nothing close. Can you count the great players that Phil hascoached on one hand? Because you definitely can with Pop.

Back
Top Bottom