Houston Rockets Preseason Thread 2018

I know we have injuries, so the rotation is out of wack, but Canaan and Jackson have to do more than just turn the ball over and miss layups. Harden and Gordon can't be playing 40 minutes a night and expect to hold up near the end of the season. This team was lucky to win the other night, but glad they get pull off a run even though they really didn't play well for most of the night.

nba.PNG

tumblr_oyg2sfhJ371rgdj4so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyg2sfhJ371rgdj4so4_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyg2sfhJ371rgdj4so5_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyg2sfhJ371rgdj4so6_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyg2sfhJ371rgdj4so7_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyg2sfhJ371rgdj4so8_1280.jpg

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Having had perhaps the best game of his career in a matchup with the star center of his draft class, the Rockets' Clint Capela will move on to face the star center on his team after he was drafted.

Capela had a career-high 20 rebounds to go along with 16 points and four blocked shots in Wednesday's 105-104 victory over Joel Embiid and the Philadelphia 76ers.

He will go from that performance to a meeting Friday night against Dwight Howard and the Charlotte Hornets, allowing Capela to see how far he's come as he starts his fourth season.

"Every single game against Dwight is special for me," Capela said. "It reminds me of my first days in Houston when I was looking up to him, looking at him as the superstar. I also watched him growing up. It always means a lot to me to play against him."

Howard averaged 22 points and 19 rebounds against Capela and the Rockets last season, making 18 of 21 shots in a pair of Atlanta Hawks wins.

Capela, however, played well against Howard, averaging 16 points and 9.5 rebounds, with 22 points in the second meeting.

If Nene is out as expected, Capela could play roughly 30 minutes, as he did against Philadelphia when he was able to run the floor and wear down Embiid.

"Twenty rebounds, we'll frame the box score," Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He can do that every night. We're trying to push him. Clint was good, real good.

"I thought (Embiid) got tired. We told (Capela) we need to run him every time. The only weapon we have is to run him, lean on him, make him work. I thought Tarik Black came in and put his body on him. It's like a boxing match. Your legs get tired."

The Rockets likely have a similar strategy against Howard, who is much better prepared to keep pace with Capela. Capela, however, was not at all surprised by his success against Embiid.

"I told you it was to prove to everybody and myself I can do it," Capela said. "I'm a guy that watches a lot of video. I watch a lot of Embiid. I watch a lot of bigs. I want to be an expert on that. These kind of opportunities to show I can play with those guys is good." -CHRON

Glad they eventually took care of business. Dwight overmatched Capela and Tarik, but struggled with LMAM and Ryno :lol: Dwight just got Capela and Tarik in foul trouble pretty quick (some actual fouls, some not so much), buy glad MDA made adjustments. Glad Bobby Brown came off the bench to actually contribute. That was probably an easy decision based on the way Canaan and Jackson played the other night. Not sure how I feel about this back to back in Memphis based on the heavy minutes played the other night. Would do wonders if the rotation was expanded and guys actually were productive.

Rockets' Eric Gordon (illness) will play Monday
Houston Rockets guard Eric Gordon (stomach virus) will play on Monday against the Philadelphia 76ers.

WHAT IT MEANS:
Gordon missed the Rockets' 103-89 loss to the Grizzlies over the weekend, but after a couple of days off, he is feeling well enough to play Monday. Luc Mbah a Moute and P.J. Tucker will both see fewer minutes, while Bobby Brown will likely fall out of the rotation after playing 22 minutes Saturday.

Our models project Gordon for 30.4 FanDuel points at a cost of $6,400 against the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday.

Source: Jonathan Feigen

This 7/8 man rotation

full

It is so damn annoying. I really don't understand why he has been doing that. With guys in and out the lineup, you need to be varying things up. That's gonna sink this team if he continues to do that. This team came out with no energy at all, and that's not good facing a team looking for revenge. At least Memphis lost. Small victories.

As much as Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni preaches playing with pace, the Rockets have not been able to consistently get up to speed in the season's first weeks.

D'Antoni said they have played faster than NBA statistics indicate. The league measures pace differently than the Rockets, particularly with the NBA counting possessions after offensive rebounds as one possession. But by the NBA measure, the Rockets rank 20th in pace. Last season, the NBA measure had the Rockets playing at the third-most rapid pace.

"We just got to push it," D'Antoni said. "It's not as bad as I thought it was. By our numbers, we're eighth or ninth. I don't know about the league numbers. We just need to be more focused at doing it. We haven't done it. We've been working at it and talking about it, trying to get better. That's the key. We can't do it otherwise."

The Rockets are just 23rd in fast break points, though some of their issues on the break are from their overall offensive struggles. The Rockets are second in the NBA in defensive rebounding percentage, which should provide opportunities to run.

"Rebounding and running is our key," Rockets forward Ryan Anderson said. "Right now, we're still figuring some stuff out. In the halfcourt, we're getting stops. It's a matter of running and filling our spots and spreading the court." - CHRON

How can they push the pace when the guards and wings are playing damn near 40 minutes a game.

Any news on CP3? Seems like I haven't heard one update.

How can they push the pace when the guards and wings are playing damn near 40 minutes a game.

Any news on CP3? Seems like I haven't heard one update.

"In two weeks" LOL. Seems like they want to win as much as possible while allowing CP3 to rest/heal up.

As far as the pace, SMH. I can't stand what MDA is doing right now, and there's no excuse for it. Sure, CP3 is out, but he doesn't play every single position. Jackson, Qi, Troy, Jackson, and Tarik should all be getting random spots during games to prepare for late in the season and the playoffs. He will kill this team down the stretch if he continues to do that.

Glad to see Ryno producing, even though he should be doing that at home :lol:

MDA is a stubborn fool. ill personally pull up on him if he does what he did in that Spurs series again as far as not adjusting and rotations :lol:

Just checking in here and subscribing to this. In all my 17 years on NT I never really checked the S&T forum much. I got my fill on http://clutchfans.com but I've had enough of the fire X coach, cut/bench X player, X player is over rated, Melo trade threads, and numerous other baseless rants by teenage trolls. Peep Game Peep Game 100% agree about playing those other players, I'm totally OK with them resting CP3 as long as they can, especially if we're winning. I'd much rather have him healthy come playoff time. :lol: at that Ryno comment.

Just checking in here and subscribing to this. In all my 17 years on NT I never really checked the S&T forum much. I got my fill on http://clutchfans.com but I've had enough of the fire X coach, cut/bench X player, X player is over rated, Melo trade threads, and numerous other baseless rants by teenage trolls. Peep Game Peep Game 100% agree about playing those other players, I'm totally OK with them resting CP3 as long as they can, especially if we're winning. I'd much rather have him healthy come playoff time. :lol: at that Ryno comment.

Clutchfans is def one of the worst sports forums around. It's up there with SpursTalk and whatever the main Laker forum is. Just full of so many panicky fans, it's ridiculous.

Game turned out exactly how it should have, but the final score should have been 30 instead of 15. Glad to see Ariza and Harden just playing 32 and 31 minutes. Everybody was getting easy shots and they were actually falling. 6-1 on the road, 1-2 at home, with 8 of the next 11 at home. Hopefully these guys don't treat TC like it's a resort and actually come out with fire

Clutchfans is def one of the worst sports forums around. It's up there with SpursTalk and whatever the main Laker forum is. Just full of so many panicky fans, it's ridiculous.

Game turned out exactly how it should have, but the final score should have been 30 instead of 15. Glad to see Ariza and Harden just playing 32 and 31 minutes. Everybody was getting easy shots and they were actually falling. 6-1 on the road, 1-2 at home, with 8 of the next 11 at home. Hopefully these guys don't treat TC like it's a resort and actually come out with fire

Clutchfans used to be decent about 17 years ago when I joined (I'm feeling old saying that been on both NT, & Clutchfans that long) since then I've just put up with it, It's gotten worse each year. I had enough when people are still making Melo trade threads long after he's been traded to OKC.
Grizzlies = 2 losses & Sixers=1 (almost 2:smh: if not for Gordan's 3)
Man did the Hawks get bad quick only like what, 2 years ago they had 4 all stars & best record in the east....now they're :lol:.

Dang no love for clutchfans? There is definitely some overreacting that happens over there, but I love that place. Especially when the insiders like codman, cyberx, and docrocket post some serious inside stuff. Just have to sift through some of the garbage posts and LOF’s that still hang around.

Good win tonight though. Surprised MDA didn’t play harden in the 4th he seems to love him 8 man rotation which I hope he expands although he doesn’t really have to many options. If anyone else could get some burn I would like to see Troy or for them to call up briante Weber. Can’t wait for to go to the cavs game Thursday either will be the first time watching lebron play in person

Dang no love for clutchfans? There is definitely some overreacting that happens over there, but I love that place. Especially when the insiders like codman, cyberx, and docrocket post some serious inside stuff. Just have to sift through some of the garbage posts and LOF’s that still hang around.

I tried man stuck with it for a while too, but had enough when some 16 year old tried starting a flame war with me. :lol: Im too old for that...codman, cyberx, and doc were always appreciated though. I'm sure I'll still check it sometimes, but not everyday anymore.

Good win tonight though. Surprised MDA didn’t play harden in the 4th he seems to love him 8 man rotation which I hope he expands although he doesn’t really have to many options. If anyone else could get some burn I would like to see Troy or for them to call up briante Weber. Can’t wait for to go to the cavs game Thursday either will be the first time watching lebron play in person

Would def like to see this. I'm sure sprinkling him in 4-6 minutes here and there wouldn't hurt. With more bench production from Nene and PJ (point wise), ideally last night's game should be like this for the season.

rox.PNG

The back end of the roster needs to take advantage of their time when MDA does (finally) decide to open up the rotation, cause when they come in and stink it up, all that does is cause him not to trust people, then we have key guys playing 43+ minutes a night in situations when it shouldn't be needed.

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom