Houston Texans Pre-Season 2015 - Hoyer's The Starter....By GAWD KING!!!

The Texans placed rookie nose tackle Louis Nix III on injured reserve today and signed veteran nose tackle Ryan Pickett.

Nix, a third-round draft pick from Notre Dame, was inactive for the first three games. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery before training camp and never seemed to be 100 percent or healthy enough to play.

Pickett, 34, was St. Louis’ first-round pick in 2001. He played his first five seasons with the Rams and his last eight with the Packers. Pickett (6-2, 340) gives the Texans another true nose tackle to go with Jerrell Powe.

The coaches are looking to improve their interior run defense.

IF THIS IS ANOTHER WASTED DRAFT THEN WHY THE **** IS RICK SMITH STILL THE GM?

Louis Nix was supposed to help that bummy run defense we have now :smh:

Considering Nix has been hurt pretty much since training camp he was never going to get in good enough shape to be any kind of contributor so I actually don't mind this signing.

Just would've wished this signing happened in the offseason. Probably could've helped out run defenses out by now.

The way O'Brien was talking about him recently made it seem like he was healthy but wasn't ready to contribute. He actually sounded kind of upset with Louis by saying that he wasn't where he need to be and needed to improve a lot.

I'm just saying that I'd be really upset if this draft turned out to be another dud overall.

1st 3 draft picks making zero contribution. 2.because of injury so I'm not sure how much blame Rick gets for that. Suafilo not playing is an embarrassment. That could've been Carr or garrapollo.

Given his history though, I don't know if this franchise can withstand another poor draft by Rick Smith and rest of the front office.

Hopefully Pickett can be useful. Fred Jackson and Spiller have the potential to torch us. First charge to see ej Manuel and Sammy Watkins too.

This offense needs to get going man. I hate the stalling and stalling. The defense is playing hard, but the offense needs to get in gear and sustain something so the D can get some rest. I feel like we need two quick scores :smile:roll eyes), then the defense can re-up.

Very good effort from the defense besides that blown coverage play, and missing tackles on some run plays. That offense though was putrid. If we're expecting to make the playoffs and actually compete, there's no way we can continue to almost solely rely on the defense and get a random offensive TD. The line and Fitz have to play better, and the running game definitely needs to get going. The running game looked pathetic. Also enjoying seeing Manning on KR even though he only got to bring it out once. He should be the main KR guy and I've been saying that since 2011. Cowboys next up....should get very interesting around here :lol:

View media item 1198558View media item 1198559View media item 1198560 View media item 1198570View media item 1198571View media item 1198572View media item 1198573

- run defense is still meh
- o-line has regressed
- Daryl Morris was a nice find
- offense is miserable to watch
- beat the cowboys and fitz will always be good in my book. I'd hate for them to lose again just to wait another 4 years to play them. I just don't want to have to hear it from cowboy fans in Houston ( who are from Houston)

- run defense is still meh
- o-line has regressed
- Daryl Morris was a nice find
- offense is miserable to watch
- beat the cowboys and fitz will always be good in my book. I'd hate for them to lose again just to wait another 4 years to play them. I just don't want to have to hear it from cowboy fans in Houston ( who are from Houston)

I think the Cowboy fans in Houston may be worse than Cowboy fans actually in Dallas. But also, the majority of the ones here were born and raised in Dallas and came here for work or something. Meh, maybe they're the same.

Last edited:
i don't know how i feel about the W. it's good that we got it but the defense had to play a near-perfect game. once we play a legit QB, we're toast.

our offense is so damn bad. :smh:

I think the Cowboy fans in Houston may be worse than Cowboy fans actually in Dallas. But also, the majority of the ones here were born and raised in Dallas and came here for work or something. Meh, maybe they're the same.

I know people who were born and raised here who root for the Rockets, Astros, etc. but somehow have this warped mentality and root for the Cowboys. Anyone can root for any team they want, but there's nothing like rooting for your hometown team in my opinion. Something about rooting for Dallas when you're from Houston irks me.

I know people who were born and raised here who root for the Rockets, Astros, etc. but somehow have this warped mentality and root for the Cowboys. Anyone can root for any team they want, but there's nothing like rooting for your hometown team in my opinion. Something about rooting for Dallas when you're from Houston irks me.

I def agree. I just get really irked but the born and raised Houstonians who move to Dallas for a year and basically start acting like Chandler Parsons.

The Shiloh Keo Era is Over:

View media item 1201334View media item 1201335

Keo, then Yates, and Sherman was TWO spots after him :x :rofl:

Texans waive RB Ronnie Brown, sign CB Jumal Rolle

The Texans have signed cornerback Jumal Rolle off Green Bay’s practice squad.

To make room for Rolle (6-0, 188) on the roster, the Texans placed veteran running back Ronnie Brown on waivers.

Players signed off opponents’ practice squads must be placed on the roster.

Rolle signed with Buffalo as an undrafted free agent last year and was on the Bills’ practice squad.

Last edited:
i was so hyped for this game, then I found out I have to work 10 to 6 and it crushed my soul. Unless somebody sneaks in the results on me during, I'm gonna stay away from my phone the radio, and twitter unless I watch it later on.

5 Things to Watch: Texans at Cowboys

1. Romo & Fitzpatrick: This article can begin each week with quarterback play, but it usually doesn't.

This week, though, limiting mistakes at the quarterback position is key. Both Ryan Fitzpatrick and

Tony Romo have been in the League for 10 or more years. Both have a wealth of experience. And both have struggled at various points in their career with turnovers.

Fitzpatrick's thrown five interceptions in the last two games, after playing cleanly to start the season. Romo, meanwhile, was picked off three times in the season-opening loss to San Francisco, but has thrown just one interception in the three wins since.

Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett is impressed with what Fitzgerald has done in his short time with the Texans.

"I think he has a good understanding of what they’re trying to go regardless of what part of their attack their using," Garrett said. "He has a lot of weapons around him and they use them well."

As for Texans head coach Bill O'Brien, he scoffed at the notion that Romo isn't a good quarterback.

"This guy is a top-notch quarterback," O'Brien said. "He’s smart, he’s accurate. He’s played a lot of productive football in this league. I think the guy is a hell of a quarterback."

Each needs to limit the turnovers if his team is to be victorious.

2. Stay Strong vs. Run: The Texans run defense was able to limit C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson and the

Bills to 96 rushing yards in last Sunday's win. It was a nice rebound from Week 3, when Houston surrendered 193 yards on the ground in a loss to the Giants.

On Sunday, they'll face the NFL's rushing leader in DeMarco Murray, who enters the contest with 534 yards. They all know he and the Cowboys offense are a major challenge.

"They’ve seen just about every defensive scheme and they’ve had success versus it," defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said. "They have a lot of confidence in their running game, and a lot of times if you have the confidence, you’re able to get some things done that you’re not able to do if you don’t have confidence.”

Murray's gained 327 yards before contact so far this season, and if he continues to get a lot of room to run, the Houston secondary will be tested.

"A guy like him, fast, physical and he’ll make you miss," cornerback Kareem Jackson said. "We just have to do everything you can to take him down.”

3. Easy Dez it: Murray's not the only playmaker for the Cowboys. Wide receiver Dez Bryant leads the team with 291 receiving yards, and he's also caught three touchdowns this season. Cornerback Johnathan Josephsaid the Texans will try to limit Bryant's output by trying a variety of things.

"It's a tough task," Joseph said. "But you have to do everything you can to mix it up. Don't show him the same looks. Just keep him guessing."
4. Foster's Impact: Running back Arian Foster picked up just six yards on eight carries last Sunday

against the Bills, but he was an integral part of the passing attack. With a team-high seven catches, he picked up 55 receiving yards in the win over Buffalo.

How much he does on the ground will be a key thing to follow in Sunday's matchup, but regardless, he's a major component of the offense.

"Being able to catch quite a few balls last week, it really sparked the whole unit," quarterback coach George Godsey said. "I think as much as we can use Arian in different roles, I think that’s what we’ll try to do."

Foster's amassed 331 yards from scrimmage in three games this season, 257 of those have come running the ball.

5. Watt's next: J.J. Watt was limited during the week in practice with a thigh injury. But the defensive end leads the NFL in quarterback hits with 16 so far, and he's also tallied two sacks, an interception, a fumble recovery and four tackles for loss.

On top of all that, he's scored a pair of touchdowns this season, and those 12 points have him third on the team in scoring behind kicker Randy Bullock and receiver DeAndre Hopkins. He's garnered attention from the NFL, and the Cowboys know their hands are full.

“I see a dynamic player that might be the best player that we go against all season," Romo said. "He’s very disruptive. He makes the game changing plays every game I see. It’s going to be a great test for us to somehow find a way—you’re not going to stop him. You just have to hope that you minimize his chances to change the game.”

Back
Top Bottom