how can i become a good christian?

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Now that I think about it, reading the Bible might not be such a good idea because that's how a lot of people become atheists.

QFE, that's why I advised him to go to someone else to tell him what's in the bible. He may not like what he reads.
laugh.gif
I think finding a church and throwing all capacity for independent thought out the window is his best bet to preserve his faith.

Now that I think about it, reading the Bible might not be such a good idea because that's how a lot of people become atheists.

If you use the Bible as a tool to improve your life, it's great. If you let it dictate your life without filter, it'll turn you into one of those idiots who don't believe in dinosaurs.

If you have God within you, and you apply common sense to the Bible, it can be an invaluable tool.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

If you use the Bible as a tool to improve your life, it's great. If you let it dictate your life without filter, it'll turn you into one of those idiots who don't believe in dinosaurs.

If you have God within you, and you apply common sense to the Bible, it can be an invaluable tool.
If you're trying to be a devout Christian, you're supposed to let the Bible dictate your life without filter. You're not supposed to question what it says. If you're just looking to the Bible for a little bit of guidance in your life, chances are that you already have some idea of what you consider to be moral because you're going to have to decide what should be taken seriously and what shouldn't. 

Follow EVERYTHING in the Bible and Torah even if you don't agree with it. You got a problem ask a priest/rabbi. This is of course if your goal is just to become a good christian.

If you're trying to be a devout Christian, you're supposed to let the Bible dictate your life without filter. You're not supposed to question what it says. If you're just looking to the Bible for a little bit of guidance in your life, chances are that you already have some idea of what you consider to be moral because you're going to have to decide what should be taken seriously and what shouldn't. 
No disagreement here. I will say that some people become atheists because they read the Bible and take it literally. That's insane.

We need less devout Christians who can't think for themselves, and more good people that know that you shouldn't treat people like crap just because there *might* be a prize waiting for you in death.

No disagreement here. I will say that some people become atheists because they read the Bible and take it literally. That's insane.

We need less devout Christians who can't think for themselves, and more good people that know that you shouldn't treat people like crap just because there *might* be a prize waiting for you in death.

Irony, because a lot of christians also take the bible literally. What's worse taking it literally and actually following some of the filth in it, or taking it literally and rejecting what you consider immoral.

That's true but you still gotta read the Bible in context. You gotta study it. You gotta read whole chapters and not just nit-pick verses. You gotta look at it as a whole and take into account the time period they were living in and the culture at the time.

As for the OP, maybe a couple books could help you get started off. Im guessing you already know the basics of Christianity so I'm not gonna reccomend any baby-christian books. Some good books I've read though are Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis and A Purpose Driven Life by Pastor Rick Warren. Start off with those and read your Bible too(maybe get a study bible?) but read commentary too with it. I know its a lot but I just said a lot of stuff so you can have options. Alright God bless homie.

OP...being a good Christian is all about relationship with Christ by faith.  Continually praying to God in Jesus' name (1 Thessalonians 5:17; John chapters 14 and 15 are helpful), fasting a couple days a week or however you are lead as you continue to pray( Matthew 17:19-21), and studying the word which means devote time to read Holy Bible (2 Timothy 2:15).  I personally recommend starting with the new testament, Matthew to Revelation.  I also recommend praying as you read for an understanding ( Luke 24:45).  But remember we must not just be hearers of the word but also doers (James 1:22).  All of these things are essential, but remember it must be done by faith.  By faith, I mean we must believe that God is a rewarder to those who diligently seek him in the ways mentioned ( Hebrews 11:16).  Im still getting stronger as a Christian, but this is what helps me.  If you have any further questions let me know.

Originally Posted by 0cks

How did I know this thread would be chock full of DEVOUT atheists...
laugh.gif
It's a given and it's also pretty sad. How can you be obsessed with something that supposedly "doesn't exist"?? The irony
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAir45

That's true but you still gotta read the Bible in context. You gotta study it. You gotta read whole chapters and not just nit-pick verses. You gotta look at it as a whole and take into account the time period they were living in and the culture at the time.
This all seems pretty obvious.

Originally Posted by sifupooh

Study Islam

is this tkthfms alternate SN. Dude goes so hard to convince people Islam is more than it is, just another variation of Judeochristianity. Dude has been brain washed beyond recognition.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Irony, because a lot of christians also take the bible literally. What's worse taking it literally and actually following some of the filth in it, or taking it literally and rejecting what you consider immoral.
Both is worse, because you're taking it literally. That's silly on either account. Radical Christians are labeled are crazy people, because that is what they are.
Originally Posted by 0cks

How did I know this thread would be chock full of DEVOUT atheists...
laugh.gif
Because they have nothing better to except tell other people how to live their lives, making them just as annoying as the loud, phony, religious people that they are rebelling against.

Originally Posted by jhova718

im not trying to "focus" on god

NT is not a hindrance to me being religious. i was raised christian but i have "lost my way". interested to hear some advice on how i can get back on the path.

maybe recommend some books other than the obvious
ohwell.gif

Confused at bolded

idk "certain" threads would be a "hindrance" for a male theist.

I say read your bible,  but be aware the more and more you read it, the more the little atheist voice will get louder.
But the worst thing is a theist who doesn't read the book they claim to follow.

Purpose driven life is a cool book.

Pray

*runs from thread*

I think this was a troll thread
ohwell.gif

Study Islam

is this tkthfms alternate SN. Dude goes so hard to convince people Islam is more than it is, just another variation of Judeochristianity. Dude has been brain washed beyond recognition.
who is tkthfms? It took me 6.66 seconds too long to decipher your slang alternate SN = screen name

Originally Posted by NikeAir45

As for the OP, maybe a couple books could help you get started off. Im guessing you already know the basics of Christianity so I'm not gonna reccomend any baby-christian books. Some good books I've read though are Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis and A Purpose Driven Life by Pastor Rick Warren. Start off with those and read your Bible too(maybe get a study bible?) but read commentary too with it. I know its a lot but I just said a lot of stuff so you can have options. Alright God bless homie.

I love how Christians are always making these excuses for the obviously disgusting things that are said in the bible. You know this country once had a culture based on treating human beings like cattle, I suppose I need to read the history with an understanding of the "culture at the time".

Study Islam

who is tkthfms? It took me 6.66 seconds too long to decipher your slang alternate SN = screen name
Love it.
pimp.gif

tumblr_lqnh9syNL61qh2axio1_500.jpg

6b6gc.jpg

11462974.jpg

Honestly, what do you plan on getting out of this thread? Even if the OP is trolling, how have you helped him in any way? We get it, we know how you feel on these issues.

If the man asked how to be wealthy man, would you tell him to smoke crack? If he wanted to be a better basketball player, would you tell him to play baseball? Are you going to help the man in his request, or are you just going to antagonize people all night/ morning?

Honestly, what do you plan on getting out of this thread? Even if the OP is trolling, how have you helped him in any way? We get it, we know how you feel on these issues.

If the man asked how to be wealthy man, would you tell him to smoke crack? If he wanted to be a better basketball player, would you tell him to play baseball? Are you going to help the man in his request, or are you just going to antagonize people all night/ morning?

wth are you talking about I actually started out this thread giving op semi-genuine advise about how to become more "christian". I told dude to go to church.
laugh.gif

Isn't it funny that I argued with someone trying to tell him to become a muslim. How come what he said doesn't defeat the purpose of this thread?
laugh.gif

Open the bible. Book of Proverbs covers a bunch of subjects, past chapter 5. The first 4 are good too, just repetitive to show the importance of the subject. Good Luck and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom