How can I dunk?

For a while now, I've really been trying to dunk. I'm 6'0, and I can smack the backboard on layups.

Are there any tips that would help me dunk by next winter or summer? I can palm a basketball already, (if it really matters.)

Any vertical jump exercises that wont require me to lift 300 pound weights? 

Thanks, any helpful information will be great.

Squat heavy and plylometrics.

Sorry but your going to have lift 300 pound weights if you want to improve your power.

I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm getting my squat strength up so I can do 225 for 5+ times. I'll do plyos once my power is there if need be.

I'm in the same boat. Right now I'm getting my squat strength up so I can do 225 for 5+ times. I'll do plyos once my power is there if need be.
I heard more squats of less weight is better than doing 5 or 10 squats with heavier weights

Firstly, get the proper squatting form down and determine what your max squat for 1 rep is. Then practice squatting about 10 reps at 75% of your max 1-rep squat. You should be able to dunk once you can do 2x bodyweight squat with ease. So, yea you would need to squat around 300+ to dunk unless you got some freak wingspan.

Firstly, get the proper squatting form down and determine what your max squat for 1 rep is. Then practice squatting about 10 reps at 75% of your max 1-rep squat. You should be able to dunk once you can do 2x bodyweight squat with ease. So, yea you would need to squat around 300+ to dunk unless you got some freak wingspan.

This helps
Thanks

That's good that you can palm the ball. Another thing that helps is to actually practice dunking. Do you like to jump off one foot, or two feet when you dunk?

Develop a strong core. Squats and calf raises help as well. If you don't want to squat, you can do wall sits. These all helped me A LOT.

I've been able to dunk with relative ease for a while now. I will admit that I have VERY long arms for my height, but you can do it!

Good luck!

Last edited:
That's good that you can palm the ball. Another thing that helps is to actually practice dunking. Do you like to jump off one foot, or two feet when you dunk?

Develop a strong core. Squats and calf raises help as well. If you don't want to squat, you can do wall sits. These all helped me A LOT.

I've been able to dunk with relative ease for a while now. I will admit that I have VERY long arms for my height, but you can do it!

Good luck!

I like jumping one footed.
Thanks for the help man!

Good luck!
I like jumping one footed.
Thanks for the help man!
No problem man! 

I dunk better off one foot too. Just keep practicing, so that you can find your premium launch point. It's all trail and error.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom