How can I keep a stubborn friend from drunk driving?

One minute he's yelling on my back porch with a mixer in his stand, stumbling around... next thing I know, he's grabbing his keys and out the door.

I've tried to talk to him about this many times, but he finds ways to slip out if he feels he is going to meet resistance.

He says all the classic lines... "I'm good at it," or "it's not that far"... well tonight he drove across down to pick up another drunk friend because she needed a ride. Ok? She can call a cab like everyone else?

What can I do, NT? I hope he learns his lesson soon by being pulled over... not by crashing. But I think one of those is about to happen.

The only way to stop him is to take his key. Talking to him won't do any good.

A close friend of mine always does it (alcoholic), but it's a skill you develop in the Philippines really. Drunk drivers texting on the road @ night is very common over there
smh.gif

Ask a couple of friends to constantly remind him.

Also, take the initiative i.e. if you guys are partying at the same place/night, offer to drive home. you may have to sacrifice but: friend > party

I always ask a buddy to drive me when we're going out to drink but he sets quota so he's still sober when he drives me and himself home.

you need to talk about it while he's sober...hit him up tomorrow and let him know if he doesn't chill on that you won't kick it while he's drinking anymore cuz you don't want that on you when something happens to him or he hurts someone else...

Let him crash and take his girl
laugh.gif
.. Naw but just take his keys or have someone else take him home.. Let him came back in the morning to get his ride

Tell him he can only drink at your place if he doesn't drive there. You can get in deep %+@% if something happens while he's drunk driving.

tell him this is for your own good and this is gunna hurt you alot more then its gunna hurt me. and proceed to kicking him in the nuts
then take his keys

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

show em those vids they used to show us in health class
It does no good to some people, man.  When I took my HAM (Hospital And Morgue) program as a part of my sentence....the lady said that the quickest turnaround time was around 24 hours.  That means some dude finished the program (which is usually sentenced to people convicted of DUI), and 24 hours later...they found him dead on the road due to alcohol.  His certificate for completing the program was still in his pocket as well.

Only a few options. Talk to him while sober, expressing your concerns. Set up ahead of time who is going to be the DD, set money aside for a cab, or plan to sleep where you're drinking. If he changes his tune at the party, then take his keys ahead of time and just don't let him drive.

If he agrees with you, but constantly ignores it while drunk and continues to drink and drive, well there's not much you can do as a friend. Some people just have to learn the hard way, and you can't always save people from themselves.

Originally Posted by trapmuzik617

let him have a wreck
stupid, stupid answer...don't even let him get that far.

a true coward is a druken driver
sick.gif
makes me sick
smh.gif

take his keys...with or without consent and DO NOT give them back!!!

Originally Posted by trapmuzik617

let him have a wreck
It's not as simple as merely letting that idiot hurt himself. It's more important he does not hurt others, like innocent bystanders. Best thing to do is take his keys. If he tries to get hyphy with you and throws a few of em at you, since it seems like you're sober enough most of the time, just handle him. Knock his *%% out. Whatever it takes to keep him off the road. 

Call 911 next time he is about to drive... a DUI > Killing an innocent person in a wreck

It might be a tough thing to do, but in the end, he will thank you

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

One minute he's yelling on my back porch with a mixer in his stand, stumbling around... next thing I know, he's grabbing his keys and out the door.

I've tried to talk to him about this many times, but he finds ways to slip out if he feels he is going to meet resistance.

He says all the classic lines... "I'm good at it," or "it's not that far"... well tonight he drove across down to pick up another drunk friend because she needed a ride. Ok? She can call a cab like everyone else?

What can I do, NT? I hope he learns his lesson soon by being pulled over... not by crashing. But I think one of those is about to happen.
I haven't read anyones replys to this but you stop him anyway you have to. Driving under the influence isn't a game to play. Man up even if it sucks.

Call 911 next time he is about to drive... a DUI > Killing an innocent person in a wreck

It might be a tough thing to do, but in the end, he will thank you

Don't think I could ever do this...DUIs really $*@! !@+% up and having a friend go through all that...I see where you're coming from kinda but I'd rather just take their keys or beat their +@* to the point where they wont drive
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom