How did you handle your college speech class? vol..stage fright

You shouldnt be nervous if you are confident in what you are going to talk about. Realize that you did the research and you wont be saying something stupid or wrong. Also you should realize in the college classroom 70% of the students probably arent paying attention to what you are saying. The only person you have to worry about is the teacher so just remember to do whatever they taught you.

Nobody really listens in those classes anyway. If you just stay under the radar and say your speech you'll be fine. All your classmates are listening for is when someone slips up. Then they chuckle and keep it moving. I nailed my first three speeches, so right before the final fourth one, this girl in the class and I both split a half bottle of Jack Daniels on campus, then had fun giving speeches. Once we finished we bounced out and smashed back at her dorm. Speech class was fun.

Nobody really listens in those classes anyway. If you just stay under the radar and say your speech you'll be fine. All your classmates are listening for is when someone slips up. Then they chuckle and keep it moving. I nailed my first three speeches, so right before the final fourth one, this girl in the class and I both split a half bottle of Jack Daniels on campus, then had fun giving speeches. Once we finished we bounced out and smashed back at her dorm. Speech class was fun.

i just approached it with a @#++ it attitude since everyone has to do it...also others are so worried about their own speech, that they are daydreaming while you are up there...just take a couple moments, breathe, gather your thoughts, and do ya thing

i just approached it with a @#++ it attitude since everyone has to do it...also others are so worried about their own speech, that they are daydreaming while you are up there...just take a couple moments, breathe, gather your thoughts, and do ya thing

i gave a speech in college on called Rap Music is Going to Help Me Get an A in This Class. i used the same literary techniques that rappers use in their lyrics and got an A.

those kids from the cornfields of Iowa weren't going to catch if I might have botched a Big Pun line.

speech was easy as long as I could put my own spin on the topic.

i gave a speech in college on called Rap Music is Going to Help Me Get an A in This Class. i used the same literary techniques that rappers use in their lyrics and got an A.

those kids from the cornfields of Iowa weren't going to catch if I might have botched a Big Pun line.

speech was easy as long as I could put my own spin on the topic.

Originally Posted by HTXMade

I just wanted to know how did you handle the class?
I'm really not a fan of presenting in class, feels so awkward to me
frown.gif

any tips?
speech class in college? I thought that was A high school class.

Anyways, I never found it difficult to present in front of your peers. Wait till you intern and you have to present to a room of professionals in their 40s.

Originally Posted by HTXMade

I just wanted to know how did you handle the class?
I'm really not a fan of presenting in class, feels so awkward to me
frown.gif

any tips?
speech class in college? I thought that was A high school class.

Anyways, I never found it difficult to present in front of your peers. Wait till you intern and you have to present to a room of professionals in their 40s.

Originally Posted by Zero 0123

images

Originally Posted by Zero 0123

images

I have a phobia of speaking in public. When I was getting my associates a public speaking class was required. I get real nervous speaking in front of people. Only way I could calm myself down was to take a couple valium and have a beer or two before class. I ended up getting a B- in the class which was fine with me.

I have a phobia of speaking in public. When I was getting my associates a public speaking class was required. I get real nervous speaking in front of people. Only way I could calm myself down was to take a couple valium and have a beer or two before class. I ended up getting a B- in the class which was fine with me.

My first year in college my first two, I had a panic attack started getting teary eyed ...I notice they were projects I didn't take serious and there was little research done.

But projects I was more passionate about and actually knew what I was talking about, I spoke with authority and clearity and was ready to answer questions

with confidence
pimp.gif
. My power points and graphics were always crisp, accurate, revolutionary. I learned to make my projects about contraversial subjects, like sex, race,

religion and world affairs.

I actually did a project on pron and had movie clips and pics in my power points got a 98%
pimp.gif

The trick is just to be passionate and INVOLVED in your projects, not just treat it as an assignment, invest time into YOUR POINT OF VIEW and it comes naturally.
pimp.gif

My first year in college my first two, I had a panic attack started getting teary eyed ...I notice they were projects I didn't take serious and there was little research done.

But projects I was more passionate about and actually knew what I was talking about, I spoke with authority and clearity and was ready to answer questions

with confidence
pimp.gif
. My power points and graphics were always crisp, accurate, revolutionary. I learned to make my projects about contraversial subjects, like sex, race,

religion and world affairs.

I actually did a project on pron and had movie clips and pics in my power points got a 98%
pimp.gif

The trick is just to be passionate and INVOLVED in your projects, not just treat it as an assignment, invest time into YOUR POINT OF VIEW and it comes naturally.
pimp.gif

PRACTICE - in your room alone. You'll become more comfortable with the content if you run through your speech 2-5 times.

Dont rely on your note cards. Choose topics you are knowledgeable on, that way it comes more naturally to you when you're speaking and you don't get lost.

My persuasive speech was legalizing MJ..
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
roll.gif

I'm a COM major, i love public speaking and communication -

PRACTICE - in your room alone. You'll become more comfortable with the content if you run through your speech 2-5 times.

Dont rely on your note cards. Choose topics you are knowledgeable on, that way it comes more naturally to you when you're speaking and you don't get lost.

My persuasive speech was legalizing MJ..
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
roll.gif

I'm a COM major, i love public speaking and communication -

I'm not gonna pretend that I was good at this stuff but my advice is...

-Know your material. Know it inside out. Find answers to questions about the topic that others may or will ask when you are done your speech.
-Do not practice too much and do not print out your speech. You want to come across as knowledgeable and natural. By practicing or relying too much on printed material you will come across as mechanical and not too informed about the subject
-Most importantly, remember that most people dont give two !!%*% about what you have to say. 90% of the class will not be paying attention (thinking about what they're gonna eat, what they're gonna do after class, etc etc) and so this should help you feel less nervous
laugh.gif

I'm not gonna pretend that I was good at this stuff but my advice is...

-Know your material. Know it inside out. Find answers to questions about the topic that others may or will ask when you are done your speech.
-Do not practice too much and do not print out your speech. You want to come across as knowledgeable and natural. By practicing or relying too much on printed material you will come across as mechanical and not too informed about the subject
-Most importantly, remember that most people dont give two !!%*% about what you have to say. 90% of the class will not be paying attention (thinking about what they're gonna eat, what they're gonna do after class, etc etc) and so this should help you feel less nervous
laugh.gif

make your speech about marajuana.. everyone is gonna pay attention.. and it's not too hard to understand in case you get nervous
pimp.gif

make your speech about marajuana.. everyone is gonna pay attention.. and it's not too hard to understand in case you get nervous
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom