How did you interpret Shutter Island? [Spoilers within.]

Sorry if there's a thread for this already.

One moment I think he wasn't psycho ... the next he was.
ohwell.gif

he consciously opted for the lobotomy after being "cured" because he didn't want to live with the gravity of what had transpired. 

Did the movie end with him and Chuck trying to escape still? Cuz that's how the book ended
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Did the movie end with him and Chuck trying to escape still? Cuz that's how the book ended
laugh.gif
That's how the book ended? Wow.

chilyeah, the docs explained to him that he was a nutter, had to make a breakthrough, yada yada. It then ended with him and chuck smoking a cigg (which tasted sweeter than usual) and plotting their escape from the island. Very open to interpretation. The book was awesome, btw, highly recommended.

The movie actually shoe-horned a line in to let the audience know that he was cured, but chose to go with the labotomy anyone..someone can correct the quote cus i dont remember.."Better to die a good man than live a monster" something to that effect....I believe as mentioned in the other thread and above that he pretended to sink back in, to go along with the labotomy to erase all of the painful memories he was holding...

Read the book. It clears everything up. While the movie seems to leave people confused. Hell my friend called me while I was at work to ask me that. I told him straight up that yes he's crazy.

Plus people should know Books > Movies. And this book is a super fast read too.

laugh.gif

chil

yeah, the docs explained to him that he was a nutter, had to make a breakthrough, yada yada. It then ended with him and chuck smoking a cigg (which tasted sweeter than usual) and plotting their escape from the island. Very open to interpretation. The book was awesome, btw, highly recommended.

The book and the movie ended the same way. They were not still trying to escape. Chuck (or Sheehan) was Andrew's doctor and he was testing to him to make sure he hadn't reverted back to Teddy. When Andrew indicated he was back to Teddy, Sheehan signaled the guards to come take him for the lobotomy because the role-playing experiment to try and save him had failed. The book is open to interpretation but that extra line in the end of the movie made it seem like he was just faking it to get the lobotomy to erase the memory of killing his wife.

My take on the book's ending is the same as the movie's because "Teddy" just walked away willingly with guards who were holding a straight jacket and a lobotomy tool.

A "lobotomy" is when he get's operated on, just liked the rest of the patients that go to the lighthouse? correct?

And the movie got REALLY INTERESTING, as soon as he entered the lighthouse.

Originally Posted by djuzi05

laugh.gif

chil

yeah, the docs explained to him that he was a nutter, had to make a breakthrough, yada yada. It then ended with him and chuck smoking a cigg (which tasted sweeter than usual) and plotting their escape from the island. Very open to interpretation. The book was awesome, btw, highly recommended.

The book and the movie ended the same way. They were not still trying to escape. Chuck (or Sheehan) was Andrew's doctor and he was testing to him to make sure he hadn't reverted back to Teddy. When Andrew indicated he was back to Teddy, Sheehan signaled the guards to come take him for the lobotomy because the role-playing experiment to try and save him had failed. The book is open to interpretation but that extra line in the end of the movie made it seem like he was just faking it to get the lobotomy to erase the memory of killing his wife.

My take on the book's ending is the same as the movie's because "Teddy" just walked away willingly with guards who were holding a straight jacket and a lobotomy tool.
That's what I thought also. But I thought maybe he really didn't kill his wife ... and what the lady in the cave was saying was actually 100% true.

My head just exploded.

Back
Top Bottom