How do I set up a wifi network off community internet? vol cat5 input in the wall

Joined May 25, 2001
So, I have a 2wire DSL modem, the one you get when you sign up for AT&T/Yahoo, but that kind is for DSL where you plug from/into the wall phone jack. At myapartments, we have community "high speed" where it's prewired into every room, but it's a Cat 5 connection. The DSL modems have a Cat 5connection, but it's to plug into a host computer's network interface card, right? That's how I've always had it set up anyways. I also have aD Link DI-614 router which has a Cat5 input for the WAN which I thought I just plugged a cat7 from that to the wall, and then configured it and I was wifi-ing,but the picture shows a DSL modem and the DLink.

Also, can I use a crossover cable as a cat5 cable?

Joined May 25, 2001
^ in that setup, what plugs into the computer?

the 2wire is Gateway, but like I said it's used to being a DSL gateway where u put the PHONE LINE into it and then there's 5 cat45 jacks and forcomputers wired in.

The wireless router for some reason only works to work in conjunction with a DSL modem

Joined Nov 18, 2005
i have that exact type of setup at home...

walljack to DSL modem and then cat 5 to a linksys router.

from there.. i have wifi in my house to my ps3, laptop, and phone
and theres another computer, with another cat 5 WIRED connection to the router.

--
for your specific problem..
I THINK you should be able to use cat 5 to connect the router to the wall... and then use a wired connection from your computer to the router only for thesetup. from there, you can tell the router to enable wireless, and then you're free..

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now