How Do U becoma an A&R?

I'm asking this after recieving news that somebody i know has just become a A&R at either Koch or Asylum and he has NOOOOO musical history

Trust me this dudes is the polar opposite of going to school and i almost didn't believe till he showed me the check

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

A&Rs dont make music... u just have to go to school and get an internship... then work hard as hell while u there...

but uhhh... tell him i got them beats!!!!

And trust, going to school will help with that.

It's a lot easier to get an internship through a university if you're in the music program, opposed to showing up at someone door every day pretty muchvolunteering for free. <---- That's probably your second best bet.

Why can't you ask him?

But I'm pretty sure it's either through networking or hustling hard up the chain.

I know a couple people who have had some pretty successful careers as A&Rs....they dropped out of school to intern and it worked out well for them.

Not saying thats the way to go...just throwing it out there.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I know an "A&R" who got a degree in social studies. F--- is that?

you cant go to school for an A&R gig IMO...you gotta be able to go out and find what ppl respond to and know by instinct how to make hits.

i wouldnt even wanna be A&R....they got the most pressure since they basically are the blood of the label..they bring in the talent for labels to marketand release singles from.....it's a hectic %*# job....

1.wear a hat thats too big and scream your name all over your artists tracks repeatedly

2. do unnecessary intros and outros on your artists songs, while yelling the words, but somehow simultaneously sounding like your're reading from a pieceof paper with the enthusiasm of a rock, and you'll be well on your way.........

if you know the douche im refering to, then i will award u 1 Internet
laugh.gif

I will go to school with a good music program only because it makes it a hell of a lot easier to get an internship. But yea internship is key, after that yourability to network, work well with others, and persevere are all huge.

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

1.wear a hat thats too big and scream your name all over your artists tracks repeatedly

2. do unnecessary intros and outros on your artists songs, while yelling the words, but somehow simultaneously sounding like your're reading from a piece of paper with the enthusiasm of a rock, and you'll be well on your way.........

if you know the douche im refering to, then i will award u 1 Internet
laugh.gif
"G-O-D"

You won't become an A&R by asking dudes on niketalk thats for sure. You need to go out and do stuff, go to shows, promote artists, get hooked up withan artist or something, become a manager or something.

95% of A&R reps did not go to college and get a B.A. in A&R and #!+%, they caught someone's eye and got a job at a label, and moved up from there.Gotta make a name for yourself somehow.

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

95% of A&R reps did not go to college and get a B.A. in A&R and #!+%, they caught someone's eye and got a job at a label, and moved up from there. Gotta make a name for yourself somehow.

The bolded section isn't really true. It's about 60/40 in favor of the B.A., usually in Music Industry Studies, Music Business, etc. As has been statedbefore, it's all about the internship, the things you listed aren't gonna get you a job as an A&R, they're more likely to potentially get youan internship.

Originally Posted by BlackTh0ught

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

95% of A&R reps did not go to college and get a B.A. in A&R and #!+%, they caught someone's eye and got a job at a label, and moved up from there. Gotta make a name for yourself somehow.

The bolded section isn't really true. It's about 60/40 in favor of the B.A., usually in Music Industry Studies, Music Business, etc. As has been stated before, it's all about the internship, the things you listed aren't gonna get you a job as an A&R, they're more likely to potentially get you an internship.
I agree with you the internship can be a huge opening to a possible job. However, i have a bachelor's in music business and have done a coupleof internships, and I know that it is all about making a name for yourself, especially if you have an internship. Some of the bigger companies like Def Jam forexample run a tight ship with interns, and the interns do very specific things, are in and out, and dont get much time to establish themselves. I'd say thebest way to fitting yourself into the world of A&R is alot of it yourself, especially with everything you can do on the internet as far as promotion anddisplaying talent.

The Lenny S generation of A&Rs is slowly fading away.....I've seen it personally in a label...a lot of these cats dont go out to shows unless it'ssome big artist....I've personally had an experience like this:

I've been trying to get my AR to come to Mickey Factz shows. I see him around in LES and we have about 1 or 2 degrees of separation. So I BEEN buggin thischick to come out and everytime it's an excuse or w/e, so I stop...She hits me up on a Monday like "Why didnt you tell me Factz was unsigned."I'm like "As far as I knew, he was in negotiations with some labels". (If she REALLY was on her job, she'da known this; she wors directlyunder the SVP or A&R. Def Jam was bringing him in and Lenny S was supposed to meet with him. So I'm tight as hell @ her for obvious reasons. Next thingyou know he's on Roc Nation...........

I met some important A&Rs at the A&R Power Summit...they all were there except Lenny S and Sam Taylor

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=426283102
Def Jam for example run a tight ship with interns, and the interns do very specific things, are in and out, and dont get much time to establish themselves
you're telling me. I'm outta there. no further comment.

Back
Top Bottom