how do you feel about da whole Hong Kong X China X NBA (and other US companies caught in middle) situation?

what da hell you talkin about b, LeBron James is catching da same flames Jay- z caught when he did that deal with the NFL, it's called hypocrisy.

I love LeBron, but if he wasn't going to keep it funky about Hong Kong then at least he should have never put his 2 cents on da Rockets GM situation at all and kept it cute.
What I am talking about is white fragility. What I am talking about is how successful Black people are held to a higher standard socially, yet white privilege allows a grand shelter for white people, and it is called white privilege. Trump can get elected president while stating that he can grab a woman by the crotch. Obama caught flak for simply wearing a TAN suit while being President.

Here's another thing, there isn't anything that any asian can say about LeBron James, that would change my mind about what he does, and can do in the Black community.

while I agree with what you are saying here, my main issue LBJ's statement is the fact that he's not using your reasoning as his justification to not speak on the matter. he is in fact speaking to the dollars that are being effected. which actually kinda hurt a little.

grew up in Chicago. big MJ fan. obviously hate LBJ. but was growing very fond of what I believed to be his courage to speak up on matters greater than him, something Jordan never did as a public/popular figure. I was actually beginning to think he was for the people. that's my own fault.
I stated this above. What he does not do for others? Does not effect what he does for OUR people. I will not judge him for what he does not say or do for asia. That is because there are far too many Black athletes who give a damn about their white fans and other non Black fans, than they do the Black fan. You see them trying to distance themselves from being considered too Black.

LeBron has gone the other way.

What I am talking about is white fragility. What I am talking about is how successful Black people are held to a higher standard socially, yet white privilege allows a grand shelter for white people, and it is called white privilege

none of that has anything to do with the LeBron James or Rockets general manager situation involving China...

da GM catching it da worse and he's white.

they're talkin about this is something that could potentially damage LeBron James legacy, I don't think it's that severe because in da end time heals most wounds but this is always going to be remembered when you tell da story about LeBron James.

this is why Jordan kept his mouth shut when it came to politics.

I stated this above. What he does not do for others? Does not effect what he does for OUR people. I will not judge him for what he does not say or do for asia.
I'm not judging him for what he didn't do for others, to be clear.

I am judging the comments he has made about the situation. to me they feel like proof that he's mostly concerned with dollar and with self.

not because he did not speak to human rights issues that are present in China. but because he condemned someone else for speaking up on an issue they felt was unjust. if instead of attempting to paint the picture that morey was wrong in his actions to speak up, he had done what you've advocated for (stating he has no opinion on the matter and turning it back into a black issue) i would not feel as though he was only attempting to protect himself and his money.

in my warped mind, it actually makes me feel as though the powers that be have given him the leeway to speak on "black issues" and the assurance that it will not MAJORLY affect his money but gave him clear warning to steer clear of condemning China in anyway.

as I was typing this out, I asked, well if he says he has no opinion on the matter but takes it back to black issues, isn't that adhering to the warning? and it's not. because if he does take or back to black issues here in his homeland, in the minds of many he will be comparing and equalizing the human rights injustices that both blacks and the citizens of China are facing. and if imagine that would piss China off. so the easy play? condemn morey for sharing an opinion.

none of that has anything to do with the LeBron James or Rockets general manager situation involving China...

da GM catching it da worse and he's white.

they're talkin about this is something that could potentially damage LeBron James legacy, I don't think it's that severe because in da end time heals most wounds but this is always going to be remembered when you tell da story about LeBron James.

this is why Jordan kept his mouth shut when it came to politics.
LeBron's legacy with who, asia?

The story about LeBron will always begin and then end with his first being a Black man from Akron. He already has the game beat with people even talking about his story.

Last edited:
I'm not judging him for what he didn't do for others, to be clear.

I am judging the comments he has made about the situation. to me they feel like proof that he's mostly concerned with dollar and with self.

not because he did not speak to human rights issues that are present in China. but because he condemned someone else for speaking up on an issue they felt was unjust. if instead of attempting to paint the picture that morey was wrong in his actions to speak up, he had done what you've advocated for (stating he has no opinion on the matter and turning it back into a black issue) i would not feel as though he was only attempting to protect himself and his money.

in my warped mind, it actually makes me feel as though the powers that be have given him the leeway to speak on "black issues" and the assurance that it will not MAJORLY affect his money but gave him clear warning to steer clear of condemning China in anyway.

as I was typing this out, I asked, well if he says he has no opinion on the matter but takes it back to black issues, isn't that adhering to the warning? and it's not. because if he does take or back to black issues here in his homeland, in the minds of many he will be comparing and equalizing the human rights injustices that both blacks and the citizens of China are facing. and if imagine that would piss China off. so the easy play? condemn morey for sharing an opinion.
I hear you, as it is an interesting take.
To be fair, we are talking about a Black High School graduate, attempting to discuss situations and issues in a manner that does outshine the current president of the united states.

anybody who cares about human rights, not just when it's financially convenient or not... for da record, the entire sports media is in Lebron James's *** about this.
Do you think that anyone in China would give a damn about LeBron, if he weren't in the NBA?

I'll agree with you 100% on this. Mainland China notorious for not giving a damn about ALL minorities unless they are celebrities.

Hong Kong ≠ China, but its a fair assessment, that said if folks subscribing to cultural relevancy, then it needs to be consistent, or else you get ish like...

CARTOONIST'S HOMEPAGE, WWW.USATODAY.COM/OPINION/
The cartoonist's homepage, pnj.com/opinion

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3976835002

Lebron is a hypocrite and so are the rest of us. He just gets more attention for it because he vocalized it. We all either directly or indirectly support something that we probably don’t agree with (morally) through our dollars and consumerism. Kobe’s probably gained more from Chinese partnerships than anyone but he’s not getting blasted by the media because he’s not voiced his lack of care / opinion.

Better to be honest and say yep there’s something going on but dollars are more important to me than this specific issue in some country far away.

Lebron is a hypocrite and so are the rest of us. He just gets more attention for it because he vocalized it. We all either directly or indirectly support something that we probably don’t agree with (morally) through our dollars and consumerism. Kobe’s probably gained more from Chinese partnerships than anyone but he’s not getting blasted by the media because he’s not voiced his lack of care / opinion.

Better to be honest and say yep there’s something going on but dollars are more important to me than this specific issue in some country far away.
You make a good point. People are still going to purchase **** made in China. People are still going to support companies that bend over backwards for China.

You make a good point. People are still going to purchase **** made in China. People are still going to support companies that bend over backwards for China.
Weak connection, so because I pay taxes I support white supremacy?

LeBron is pedestalized by millions and he made a moronic statement that shows we (society) place way too much stock in what these athletes say, his motivation has always been about dollars.

Weak connection, so because I pay taxes I support white supremacy?

LeBron is pedestalized by millions and he made a moronic statement that shows we (society) place way too much stock in what these athletes say, his motivation has always been about dollars.
You kind of have to pay taxes, or you risk going to jail. You have a choice to support certain companies.

While I may disagree with many here, it is great to read different perspectives.

To keep it funky. If Lebron doesn’t want to involve himself or put his name to anything related to Hong Kong protests to protect his business interests, he’s no different than any big company or celeb who is all about their bottom line. And that’s fair game on his end. He’s going to get slandered for it. But it’s no different than any other big entity or brand which would do the same.

The calling Morey uneducated and uninformed was a bad look though. As was the suggesting to tweet it after the trip due to the distraction it caused. I hate going this route, but calling the President of the country you live in a bum is causing a non basketball distraction as well to teammates and the league. Regardless of how you feel about Trump, saying going to the White House was an honor until he took over as well. Saying those things publicly opens the door for media distractions and scrutiny also. And I commend Lebron for saying all that. We live in America. You got every right to criticize the President if you choose to. You shouldn’t keep quiet and not speak your mind, but don’t complain about Morey causing distractions when speaking out on issues at home could be considered a distraction as well despite the issues being spoken out on being relevant valid issues.

This will all boil over quick though.

USAtoday isn't Chinese.... American media almost has universally panned LeBron's response to da China tweet.
That wasn’t point I was making. The chinese have not been above racist caricatures when it comes to Black people, and it is expected in regard to the american press as well. The white american press is in no position to question the character of LeBron James.

That wasn’t point I was making. The chinese have not been above racist caricatures when it comes to Black people, and it is expected in regard to the american press as well. The white american press is in no position to question the character of LeBron James.

none of this absolves LeBron from playing himself in regards to Hong Kong..

Back
Top Bottom