How do you feel about the term "culture vulture"?

Going through this thread some of yall are more prejudice that rednecks in Mississippi. It's like yall want the world to be segregated.

Ashley Graham Asked Jason Momoa To Perform The Haka At The Oscars And She's Being Dragged
“Why do white people always want POC to perform their culture for them as entertainment?”
sub-buzz-4872-1551101167-1.png
sub-buzz-28102-1551101182-1.png

https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodw...1uMSrh3wG_YNtPCnUCiBfCfk7CLVz6QD8OltL-4lyqLl4

You probably know that the 91st Academy Awards were held in LA last night, with a whole host of stars attending, sharing backstage selfies and hitting the after parties.

There were also a whole host of awkward moments, including Rami Malek falling off the stage after winning his award.

However, people noticed a much more awkward moment from a red carpet interview between Ashley Graham and Jason Momoa.
sub-buzz-30753-1551100930-1.png

The interview was going well until Ashley asked Jason to perform a move from the Haka — a traditional Māori dance.

Omg @ashleygraham got shut down! Go Lisa Bonet having her husband’s back #theoscars #interview #jasonmamoa #lisabonet #savage #oscars #OscarRedCarpet

The dance is indigenous to New Zealand and originated from Eastern Polynesian culture. Jason is from Hawaii — part of the Polynesian triangle. He performed the dance at the Aquaman premiere as a nod to all the parts of the New Zealand culture that had been incorporated into the movie.

"I gotta get a Haka move," Ashely said, bouncing on the spot, "Like, one Haka move, come on!"
sub-buzz-16945-1551100873-1.png

At this point, Jason's wife, Lisa Bonet, stepped in and attempted to shut down the request. While her comment was inaudible, Lisa shook her head and held out her hand, motioning Ashley to stop.
sub-buzz-21305-1551100857-1.png

However, Ashley did manage to get Jason to make one of the facial expressions from the dance, yelling: "Yes!" as he did it...
sub-buzz-30874-1551100838-7.png

Before imitating him.
sub-buzz-16811-1551100783-7.png

Lisa, meanwhile, didn't look amused but put her arm around Jason.
sub-buzz-30957-1551100971-1.png

People immediately took to Twitter to call the whole exchange "awkward" and "cringeworthy."
sub-buzz-27118-1551100454-7.png

Some found it uncomfortable that Ashely had asked a person of colour to dance for her.
sub-buzz-10943-1551099614-1.png

Others said that "culture is not entertainment."
sub-buzz-20418-1551100160-1.png
sub-buzz-15590-1551099834-1.png
sub-buzz-3290-1551100005-1.png
sub-buzz-3438-1551100137-1.png
sub-buzz-20715-1551100240-1.png

And that it was culturally insensitive and inappropriate.
sub-buzz-15866-1551100103-1.png
sub-buzz-3736-1551100213-1.png

Some raised the fact he'd performed the Haka at the Aquamanpremiere, and so didn't see the problem.
sub-buzz-27271-1551100541-1.png

However, others said that it had been Jason's choice to perform at the premiere.
sub-buzz-30389-1551100566-1.png

While others praised Lisa Bonet for attempting to stop the situation.
sub-buzz-15337-1551099659-1.png
sub-buzz-20060-1551099867-3.png

Spokespersons for Ashley Graham and Jason Momoa have been contacted for comment.

But what has really riled critics is that Kardashian appears to have trademarked the word "kimono." According to Business Insider, a search of the online database for the United States Patent and Trademark Office revealed that Kimono Intimates Inc. applied to trademark a specific font version of the word.
Originating in the Hakuhō (Early Nara) period (645-710), the kimono is an ankle-length gown with long, wide sleeves and a V- neck. With neither ties nor buttons, it is tied left over right across the chest and secured at the waist with a broad sash called an an obi.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/yuichi-hirose-edo-komon/index.html
The reaction has been far from positive, with many expressing their disapproval using the hashtag #KimOhNo.
San Francisco-based Yuka Ohishi, who tweeted about the controversy, told CNN: "I was not very pleased by companies using the word kimono to market beach cover-ups and robes. And then Kim Kardashian went to a whole new level by simply using the word as a pun. Her line is not at all inspired by the Japanese kimono, pays no respect.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/kim-kardashian-kimono-intl-scli/index.html

Going through this thread some of yall are more prejudice that rednecks in Mississippi. It's like yall want the world to be segregated.
Name one place on the planet where white colonizers have gone, with their leaving the indigenous people of that land in a better place mentally, physically or spiritually. Name... just...one. After you do that, then state why the world would not be better off, without their influence.

Name one place on the planet where white colonizers have gone, with their leaving the indigenous people of that land in a better place mentally, physically or spiritually. Name... just...one. After you do that, then state why the world would not be better off, without their influence.

See, your problem is you just thinking about white people...

See, your problem is you just thinking about white people...
Answer the question. Name one place white colonizers have gone, with their leaving the indigenous people of that land, in a better place. Don’t give me whataboutism’s. White supremacy is real, then has been the downfall of every progressive civilization since the 1400’s.

Answer the question. Name one place white colonizers have gone, with their leaving the indigenous people of that land, in a better place. Don’t give me whataboutism’s. White supremacy is real, then has been the downfall of every progressive civilization since the 1400’s.

Nowhere, but that's beside the point. I like Latin women. If you segregate the world, you saying I can't be with who I want to be with. Unfortunately, solving this problem isn't simple. I find it highly ironic that a black person could even allude that segregation is the way to go. You pretty much saying white supremacist had it right in the beginning.

People naturally segregate themselves.

This is true. I honestly believe the human mind truly cannot process the idea of equality, but that don’t mean we should take steps back and go back to segregation because a group of people can’t act right.

Back
Top Bottom