How Do You Feel Comfortable Celebrating the 4th of July If You're Black?

The title is the question, and I'm Black. Had I been in American July 4th, 1776 (i ancestry outside of the states in the americas) I would've more than likely still been a chattel slave watching massa celebrating their "independence" while plotting to kill him and or her later that evening. So as a Black, I ask other Blacks, how & why do u celebrate this day? The fireworks & Daddy Lumba triggered this question.

Prince's "freedom" was attributed to Walker v. Jennison,not the fact the fact that her was the 1st slave to fight in the Revoluntionary War. And being that he remained so close to his master(s), who's to say he wasn't moved up to "indentured servant prioe to his death?

"Legislators were unable or unwilling to address either slave-owners' concerns about losing their "investment", or white citizens' concerns that if slavery were abolished, freed slaves could become a burden on the community. Some feared that escaped slaves from elsewhere would flood the state.[9]

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court decisions in Walker v. Jennison and Commonwealth v. Jennison established the basis for ending slavery in Massachusetts on constitutional grounds, but no law or amendment to the state constitution was passed. Instead slavery gradually ended "voluntarily" in the state over the next decade. The decisions in the Elizabeth Freeman and Quock Walker trials had removed slavery's legal support and it was said to end by erosion. Some masters manumitted their slaves formally and arranged to pay them wages for continued labor. Other slaves were "freed" but were restricted as indentured servants for extended periods.[4] By 1790, the federal census recorded no slaves in the state."

I wouldnt say I celebrate it per say. I will just take the free Federal day off and fellowship with my loved ones and bbq is definitely being lit. I was out on the lake in Redneck, Oklahoma (Turner Falls in Davis ro be exact) and the % was literally 85% Latino, 10% black and Middle Eastern, 5% white. It was such a shock.

Who celebrates Independence Day?

Having a cookout, going to see some fireworks or enjoying the day off is celebrating?

Do you ever see any black people with American flag **** up? I was talking to my cousin and she was like I don't even know where to buy a flags in response to a neighbors house being adorned.

tenor.gif

The title is the question, and I'm Black. Had I been in American July 4th, 1776 (i ancestry outside of the states in the americas) I would've more than likely still been a chattel slave watching massa celebrating their "independence" while plotting to kill him and or her later that evening. So as a Black, I ask other Blacks, how & why do u celebrate this day? The fireworks & Daddy Lumba triggered this question.

You still use products that were created by racist.... you interact with white people everyday who’s ancestors owned slaves. Folks out here driving BMWs and wearing Hugo Boss, both whom had Nazi ties.

...as long as you live, whether you like it or not, especially in America, you gone always be linked to racism in some way :lol: :lol:

Man probably thinks James Jebbia And Phil Knight ain’t racist or didn’t benefit from being white. Keep wearing their products

Idk what defines celebrating Independence

This is just another day off to enjoy time with my family and friends over drinks, BBQ and maybe a game of bones.

We celebrate each other on days like this. That's about it
"good bless america" wasn't uncommon back when celebrated, along w/ patriotic symbolistic clothing ain't uncommon on this day as well "happy indepedence day, etc. Yeah.
I hate super woke black folk sometimes lol.

It ain't that deep.

No one is "celebrating" the "white mans" holiday.

Its summer, free day off, we kick it, eat and drink good.

Oh yeah, and we can blow **** up!

Da 4th is a top 5 holiday.
In line 3 u typed "No one is "celebrating" the "white mans" holiday." Then in line 6 u typed "Da 4th is a top 5 holiday."

When I was in camp we didn't celebrate the 4th, we celebrated the 5th (Interdependence Day) b/c they felt it was more appropriate. All of the sub sections of the camp would come together at a set destination & celebrate as one. This was white ppl's idea, btw, and thinking back at the experience it was commendably progressive.

Back
Top Bottom