How Do You Feel Comfortable Celebrating the 4th of July If You're Black?

“It’s rude to not eat when white people invite you”

Lord that comment isn’t getting enough talk about

When have you seen that go wrong?
1625607914455.jpeg

Accurate summary of what happened. Every time I saw him post I would read delk and I never liked Tony Delk so it made sense. Didn't think it would catch on but very proud that it did.

And WHY didn't you like Tony Delk?

That is an odd, "I don't like."

And WHY didn't you like Tony Delk?

That is an odd, "I don't like."

Never liked him at Kentucky and it just stuck. I loved UMASS back in the 90s (I didn't realize that Cal was a scumbag back then) so that L hurt.

To get the thread back on track, a few quick thoughts...

-I don't personally celebrate the 4th of July anymore
-The most I will do is go see my family. They really even celebrate it, but Caribbean people we take any excuse to BBQ. :lol:
-I don't have an issue with black folk that do
-I damn sure don't have an issue with black folk that don't.
-One of the most patriotic things you can do, on the holiday dedicated to celebrating the creation of this Nation, is to complain about how it has repeatedly failed to live up to its stated ideals, demand a better future, and call out the people that repeatedly deny other Americans full participation and voice in the American experience.
-All things considered, it probably would have been better if America lost the Revolutionary War. It would be a much smaller independent country, which would dilute rule whites political power over black Americans, we would have probably ended up with a Parliamentary system, slavery would probably be ended earlier hopefully without an additional war, and while Canada's record with First Nation people is horrendous, America's is probably even worse, so I guess a little less genocide. :smh:

-I'm not wasting my day off trying to change the hearts and minds of problematic white people.

Last edited:
To get the read back on track, a few quick thoughts...

-I don't personally celebrate the 4th of July anymore
-The most I will do is go see my family and eat BBQ with them. They really even celebrate it, but Caribbean people we take any excuse to BBQ. :lol:
-I don't have an issue with black folk that do
-I damn sure don't have an issue with black folk that don't.
-One of the most patriotic things you can do, one the holiday dedicated to celebrating the creation of this Nation, is to complain about how it has repeatedly failed to live up to its stated ideals, demand a better future, and call out the people that repeatedly deny other American's full participation and voice in the American experience.
-All things considered, it probably would have been better if America lost the Revolutionary War. It would be a much smaller independent country, which would dilute rule whites political power over black Americans, we would have probably ended up with a Parliamentary system, slavery would probably be ended earlier hopefully without an additional war, and while Canada's record with First Nation people is horrendous, America's is probably even worse, so I guess a little less genocide.

-I'm not wasting my day off trying to change the hearts and minds of problematic white people.
Also wouldn’t have that weak National anthem.

Also wouldn’t have that weak National anthem.
This

The Star-Spangled banner is trash. We got multiple better options for a national anthem, and we stick with this whack joint :smh:

This ain't even my first pick, but even this would be an improvement...

Imagine white people in rural Texas bust out singing this joint at their local Wally World.

I know aepps20 aepps20 would show out, catch him in there with wifey like "Hold my Mountain Dew Baja Blast Karen, I'm finna hit a split and stunt on these Patriots"

Last edited:
Cool.

So I am wondering what exactly anyone in this thread has done to "Keep racism going."

I see people use this type of comment often against black folks and it confuses me.

Also, what is your race/ethnicity?

The thread asks how do you feel comfortable celebrating fourth of July if your black. When I described my experience, detailing a focus on family and friends even with white friends that have generally opposing views.. I get bashed as an uncle Tom and asked if they gave me fried chicken and watermelon. If everyone is going to clown black people who peacefully make friendship with "the enemy", then they will always be racial enemies. That's contributing to racism.

Even with issues that white Americans don't want to fully acknowledge.. Moving towards an society without racial oppression requires socializing like this. You don't have to hate the country to move the black community forward.

Shunning the formation of the country with closed minded hostility is no better than the "leave the country" rhetoric on the other side. Americans make America what it is. We can say the country is racist and it always will be and doesn't deserve celebration. Or we can work to make America better through celebrating the hardships we've overcome as people of the nation. To change policies you have to change people. To change people you might have to have try some bad potato salad so you can teach them what's wrong with it.

The thread asks how do you feel comfortable celebrating fourth of July if your black. When I described my experience, detailing a focus on family and friends even with white friends that have generally opposing views.. I get bashed as an uncle Tom and asked if they gave me fried chicken and watermelon. If everyone is going to clown black people who peacefully make friendship with "the enemy", then they will always be racial enemies. That's contributing to racism.

Even with issues that white Americans don't want to fully acknowledge.. Moving towards an society without racial oppression requires socializing like this. You don't have to hate the country to move the black community forward.

Shunning the formation of the country with closed minded hostility is no better than the "leave the country" rhetoric on the other side. Americans make America what it is. We can say the country is racist and it always will be and doesn't deserve celebration. Or we can work to make America better through celebrating the hardships we've overcome as people of the nation. To change policies you have to change people. To change people you might have to have try some bad potato salad so you can teach them what's wrong with it.

:rofl:

Sounds about right fam. Most racism I ever experienced was because I'm a conservative that has mostly white friends.

Appreciate you sharing your POV. Interesting opinions you offer, but not fact. You passing your opinion on to black people as a monolith is definitely “extreme” though. The one black person who commented on my pants complimented them. Again, not everyone sees the American flag and assumes you are a racist trump supporter. That is crazy.

The more you talk the more I think Comparison Ford Comparison Ford is right about you actually being White.

I’m disappointed in myself for not picking up on this in your first post.

Been reading the thread and it sounds like had the circumstances been different, I don't doubt that some of y'all would have found themselves on the Capitol grounds on Jan 6th.

Look, as much as y'all hate on what Chiron Chiron said, what he says about engaging with the other side makes sense if you are somewhat committed to the idea of these 50 states. There is no half-solution between living together as Americans and living separated and balkanizing the entire area between Mexico and Canada.
I say this as an immigrant who came from a country where in 2 out of the 10 provinces, all the symbols of the Republic are currently being actively opposed to, and separatist groups have been wrecking havoc for 4 years now (look up the Anglophone crisis in Cameroon if you have some time to waste).

YAOUNDE, CAMEROON - Unity Day activities in Cameroon were marred this week by clashes between separatists and government troops. The violence left at least 16 people dead and 60 houses burned.

Local media reported that streets in Cameroon’s English-speaking towns and villages were deserted Thursday as the central African state celebrated its National Day, also known as Unity Day.

Meanwhile business activity went on as usual in French-speaking towns and villages.

Efang, also known as Big Number, calls himself the supreme general and commander of separatist fighters in the English-speaking North West and South West regions.

He said on social media that he asked fighters to make sure all English speakers remain at home as a sign of protest against National Day.

He says the English-speaking North West and South West regions no longer consider themselves part of the French-speaking majority state of Cameroon. He says English-speaking Cameroonians should not celebrate a national day imposed by the Yaounde government, which is using military might to deprive English speakers of their freedom.

And no, I don't celebrate July 4th like that, just like May 20th has always been nothing more than a day off to enjoy with family and friends. And like Rusty, I no longer have the energy to change the hearts and minds of problematic people, but more power to those that still do.

I understand what you are explaining here but I still don't view what anyone in this thread has done/sad as being, "A/The reason racism still exists."

Racism still exists because the powers that be want it to exist.

It is that clear cut / simple.

You can't put it on the oppressed not wanting to wine and dine with the oppressors as being the reason it still exists.

Yeah it was right Kizzy to get shipped off. Her close minded self to read had no damn right to pick up a book. What terrible team player. Honestly, here and ppl like her is the reason why racism exist, AND she still was causing problems despite Massa Tom Lea lovingly raping her & giving her a son. Tsk tsk tsk :smh: That damn racist Kizzy :smh: :smh: If only she celebrated the 4th & cooperated w/ Massa & the law she wouldn't have experienced racism :smh: :smh: :smh:

hennessy hennessy

Trust me, any black person that sees another person with a USA Flag stitched on their CLOTHES is definitely looking at them as a Trump supporter.

I don't care if it's 2017 or 2021.

If that's the look you are going for, more power to you.
This might have been a regional or growing up in black cities thing, cuz you right on our part of the country anybody rocking flags all crazy ppl assume you from the Deep South and /or one of them hardcore racists types…White folks in my city ain’t even make much of a fuss bout the flag growing up until recently

Ashli Babbitt said the same thing too champ……..right before she stormed the US Capitol and took a bullet to the neck. Just goes to show that supporting Trump can kill your reputation/credibility and literally kill you in the process.
Ashli forgot she was a white woman and not a white man and ended up taking a bullet

hennessy hennessy

Trust me, any black person that sees another person with a USA Flag stitched on their CLOTHES is definitely looking at them as a Trump supporter.

I don't care if it's 2017 or 2021.

If that's the look you are going for, more power to you.

in my experience, most civilians who bring out a flag in a country they already live in are either siding with an oppressor or a rebel. There’s absolutely no other reason to remind us of where we all live in other than to make some type of political statement, and more often than not, it’s a threat or show of dominance. “Remember whose country you’re in” type of vibe

my parents live in a 99% minority community, and the one white neighbor is the only one with a GIANT US flag hanging from his house. I’ve never seen them interact with anyone or even walk around the neighborhood; they go straight to their car and head out ASAP :lol: no one is surprised by that type of behavior from them at all just because of the obnoxious flag hanging.

Last edited:
I understand the flag has been hijacked and associated with the racism and hate that certain fringe groups promote. Now that Trump is no longer president, I hope that we can reclaim the flag as a symbol for America. Just how Trump didn’t say or do anything to stop the insurrection, he never made a statement condemning those people that highjacked our flag for their own divisive uses. Like I said before, Trump has stained the flag. And he’s allowed other groups to do the same, because they supported him.

Now that there’s a new president, I am hoping the flag can be reclaimed as a symbol for America. As I’ve learned from your responses, even if that were to happen, it will take years. I was proud to be able to wear the flag again (as a small detail; I’d never deck myself out head to toe) that Trump was out of office. But clearly it’s not as simple as having a new president in office to restore the flags reputation.

First, our country will have to work to rectify the ways it has oppressed marginalized communities. Second, it will have to no longer be displayed alongside other hateful symbols and messages. Lastly, it will have to be able to stand alone as patriotic and not nationlistic.

This thread has been very thought provoking for me. Again I thank everyone for their responses I mean no disrespect commenting in this thread as a white person. I’m just trying to learn how different people feel about the flag after Trump presidency because I haven’t wanted to wear it at all in the past 4 years. And now I’m learning some black people have never wanted it to represent them and that is totally justified.

I’m curious what we will see in the olympics this year with the ban on social/political protesting of any kind. Some of the biggest racial and political statements in history have happened at the olympics.

Back
Top Bottom