How do you get acquianted with a new city? Vol. just moved to Minneapolis

Yo I just moved to Minneapolis last week. I have an internship with Rivals.com but its non-paying... so im forced to go get a part-time job which so far hasbeen all
indifferent.gif

Anyways, these streets are so damn confusing, one-way this, one-way that. Every time I want to go somewhere, I'm lookin the sssh up on Mapquest andstraight studying that thing. Yeah, I'm an average white boy from a small town, so I'm more noob about this stuff than usual.

I've got a car and a bike and a place to stay, but do you guys have any hints for getting used to a new area? Basically just exposing yourself to thesurroundings as much as you can, or what??

Anyways, these streets are so damn confusing, one-way this, one-way that.

My sentiments for downtown Miami.

You could always explore, or become acquainted with locals to show you around would probably be better. But getting lost and finding your way is always aninteresting way too lol.

Make friends with co-workers and they'll hip you to what's up.

Just don't try getting lost and finding your way at night in any city you don't know...

*!*% can't be that sweet over there.

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Just don't try getting lost and finding your way at night in any city you don't know...

No kidding, that's my biggest fear- getting lost in an area that's mad dangerous and dudes are about to get militant for my wallet
eek.gif

Minneapolis is cake to drive in. One street goes one way, the next one will be a one way in the other direction. It's one big grid. What part are you in?I'm over in Uptown just a couple blocks from Calhoun Square

oh and don't worry about getting lost in the wrong neighborhood, there arent that many of em. Just some areas of Lake St east of 35W and a few areas ofNorthEast and that's only after dark.

Making friends is easy, just playball on the weekends in your neighborhood and walk around alot 2 square mile radius...go to the local pubs and bars.
Flirt with the grocery store hotties...

Getting to know the streets..just walk as much as possible, get lost on purpose...I learned Brooklyn and Queens in 9 months

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Minneapolis is cake to drive in. One street goes one way, the next one will be a one way in the other direction. It's one big grid. What part are you in? I'm over in Uptown just a couple blocks from Calhoun Square

oh and don't worry about getting lost in the wrong neighborhood, there arent that many of em. Just some areas of Lake St east of 35W and a few areas of NorthEast and that's only after dark.
I'm in Dinkytown by the U of M... this area's not bad but once I cross the river I get soooo confused... lots of sorority hotties downhere though
devil.gif
fiending

ah I rarely get around that end of town. Too many damn college kids
laugh.gif
I live with all the yuppies and homeless chic on this end of town. You'll get usedto the area, Minneapolis is pretty straight forward compared to other cities and there is a ton of night life in that area of minneapolis, plus you can scootdowntown to the warehouse district no problem. Light rail is kind of useless and the bus system is easy to learn if you'd rather not drive in the citylimits.

Originally Posted by sonunox34

Minneapolis is cake to drive in. One street goes one way, the next one will be a one way in the other direction. It's one big grid. What part are you in? I'm over in Uptown just a couple blocks from Calhoun Square

oh and don't worry about getting lost in the wrong neighborhood, there arent that many of em. Just some areas of Lake St east of 35W and a few areas of NorthEast and that's only after dark.
I'm in Dinkytown by the U of M... this area's not bad but once I cross the river I get soooo confused... lots of sorority hotties down here though
devil.gif
fiending
Haha. We just had our prom over there yesterday.

Don't bother with St. Paul at all. Stay around Downtown and the Southside. Also, once you get used to driving around, finding places won't be anytrouble. All of the busier streets have names, besides that, it's all numbers.

If you need some tips about where to go, just holla.
pimp.gif

And, like Nawth said, try to avoid the Northside at night. East Lake isn't anything though. Just a few drunks and the occasional shots being fired.

What the hell was going on today at 31st and Lake? Traffic was insane.

St. Paul does suck, I work over there.

i just moved to LA and i've been getting around easy...i'm not too interesting in meeting dudes so i'm not worried about meeting friends unlessthey're females.

What the hell was going on today at 31st and Lake? Traffic was insane.

St. Paul does suck, I work over there.
The walk for breast cancer could have been over there. I don't know.

For most of the day I was out of commission.

make friends with ONE co-worker, who isn't a hermit .. suggest to go out to a club/lounge/bar

look nice

bag chicks numbers .. rinse & repeat

Get a map of the city and tack it up in your spot. Look at it for a few seconds everyday.

Use that bike and take one street from one end of the city to the other.

Ride one bus its entire route and back to where you got on.

And to quote one Memphis Bleek, "If you don't cook find a chick first." In other words have her show you around town.

Originally Posted by soltheman

I'm in Dinkytown by the U of M... this area's not bad but once I cross the river I get soooo confused... lots of sorority hotties down here though
devil.gif
fiending

Don't bother with St. Paul at all. Stay around Downtown and the Southside. Also, once you get used to driving around, finding places won't be any trouble. All of the busier streets have names, besides that, it's all numbers.

pimp.gif

And, like Nawth said, try to avoid the Northside at night. East Lake isn't anything though. Just a few drunks and the occasional shots being fired.
See everyone uses slang for areas like that... but besides St. Paul I don't know what they mean
embarassed.gif
thanks for the tips though.... you know anywhere up here I can find a job?

Originally Posted by soltheman

devil.gif
fiending

Don't bother with St. Paul at all. Stay around Downtown and the Southside. Also, once you get used to driving around, finding places won't be any trouble. All of the busier streets have names, besides that, it's all numbers.

pimp.gif

See everyone uses slang for areas like that... but besides St. Paul I don't know what they mean
embarassed.gif
thanks for the tips though.... you know anywhere up here I can find a job?

well what i do is go to the local market ask them about places. or the local coffee shop and ask them too. also yelp

Originally Posted by General Johnson

No kidding, that's my biggest fear- getting lost in an area that's mad dangerous and dudes are about to get militant for my wallet
eek.gif
well in any case stay away from north minneapolis. its serious over there
pimp.gif

When I first moved to STL I just drove during daylight through all parts of the city. Found out how the trains ran, got cool with one co-worker that kinda gaveme the info on where to go, where not to go and I was set.

First conquer about 5-10 mile radius of where you live, then venture out. Once you get that down...getting lost is something you should try to do, and try tofind your way home using few maps possible.

But as others have said. get cool with a co-worker who isn't lame and have him/preferably HER show you around

Back
Top Bottom